• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Vs McGrath

Imran Vs McGrath

• Total voters

shortpitched713

International Captain
I don't think the question was whether Don is worth two batsmen
At face value, the Don is worth 4 ATG batsmen.

This has nothing to do with your actual point, so don't think I'm nitpicking you, but I hear a lot of time that Bradman was twice as good, or worth twice as much as an ATG batsman.

That's objectively NOT true:

ATG Batting Lineup

Hayden ~ 50

Average Opener ~ 35

Dravid ~ 52.5

Sanga ~ 57.5

Kallis ~ 55

Sum ~ 250

Average Test Team + Bradman

Opener ~ 35

Opener ~ 35

Bradman ~ 100

Mid Bat ~ 40

Mid Bat ~ 40

Sum ~ 250

So, to conclude, when you consider players' value over replacement, Bradman by himself ends up being worth about as much as 4 ATG batsmen in a lineup combined.

PS: I always thought that when playing alongside Bradman, if you had a mix up between the wickets, you'd want to run yourself out instead of him. And it bears out, as he was only run out once out of his 80 innings. Poor Bert Oldfield must have felt a right **** when that happened, although it was still early in Bradman's career, so probably not as egregious. If you run out a Bradman in his prime heyday, you probably ought to just get dropped for sheer stupidity. :laugh:

Coronis

International Coach
Not really. Just look at the current Aus/Ind/Eng/NZ teams and see how many averages 40+
Australia - Smith, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Head
England - Root, Duckett, Brook
India - Kohli, Sharma, Jaiswal, Sarfaraz (have Rahane and Pujara retired?)
New Zealand - Williamson, Mitchell, Conway (Latham and Ravindra average 39.8 and 39.9)

Nobody’s exactly lacking…

Xix2565

International Regular
Australia - Smith, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Head
England - Root, Duckett, Brook
India - Kohli, Sharma, Jaiswal, Sarfaraz (have Rahane and Pujara retired?)
New Zealand - Williamson, Mitchell, Conway (Latham and Ravindra average 39.8 and 39.9)

Nobody’s exactly lacking…
Even then, if you go back both Rahane and Pujara did average 40+. I would say the general strength of the bowling attacks (and playing conditions) have an impact on this as well, but it's clearly not impossible to have multiple batters average 40.

Migara

International Coach
Imran easily.

There are only two players who are better cricketers than Bradman. Imran is one of them. Sobers is the other.

Shri

Mr. Glass
imran the bowler is overrated

was **** for a lot of years at the start, then had 5-6 years of incredible bowling then petered out again

bumrah has already had 5 atg years out of a 7 year career as a bowler. he will finish as asia's greatest ever fast bowler easily

subshakerz

International Coach
bumrah has already had 5 atg years out of a 7 year career as a bowler. he will finish as asia's greatest ever fast bowler easily
Unless he breaks down which quite possible.

He is 30 years old and has only played 36 games. Just to compare, Wasim already had 300 wickets by this time.

smash84

The Tiger King
imran the bowler is overrated

was **** for a lot of years at the start, then had 5-6 years of incredible bowling then petered out again

At least read the question put in the OP :wacko: