• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
This. I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. If batsmen got hit pre-helmets as much as they do now everyone would be dead or disabled
Maybe bowlers are more willing to bowl bouncers now that everyone has helmets because they know a hit to the head isn't going to do as much damage?

I'm not saying technical flaws aren't part of it, but I don't think that's anywhere near the full picture.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Maybe bowlers are more willing to bowl bouncers now that everyone has helmets because they know a hit to the head isn't going to do as much damage?

I'm not saying technical flaws aren't part of it, but I don't think that's anywhere near the full picture.
Weren't there bowlers specifically going for the head though? And there is also the bouncer rule.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Bowlers are probably more willing now than they used to be overall, but don't forget helmets were introduced as a response to excessive bouncers being bowled.

Is part of it also just bowlers on average being better athletes? Average release points are higher than when thommo played and you've got guys like bumrah bowling fast from actions that make the ball come onto you faster. Plus compared to the era of no helmets the average bowler is faster. Guys like thommo are probably as fast as Ferguson, or wood, or anyone else today, but even somoene like Cummins who's not in the 10 fastest bowlers is able to hit 150 occasionally.
It's usually not the high lifting deliveries that you see people getting hit by. Most of the time it's one which is not quite as short as they thought it was or that keeps subtly low, and their ducking ends up putting their head in the path of the ball.

I'm sure that there were bowlers in the past who were similar to Cummins - who in any case only very rarely bowls 145 these days, let alone 150.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowlers are probably more willing now than they used to be overall, but don't forget helmets were introduced as a response to excessive bouncers being bowled.

It's usually not the high lifting deliveries that you see people getting hit by. Most of the time it's one which is not quite as short as they thought it was or that keeps subtly low, and their ducking ends up putting their head in the path of the ball.

I'm sure that there were bowlers in the past who were similar to Cummins - who in any case only very rarely bowls 145 these days, let alone 150.
Sorry, I don't think I got my point in regards to cummins across properly. I'm not saying there wasn't bowlers like cummins, i'm more saying there's just more bowlers who consistently operate at a faster speed nowadays. The 10th, or 15th, or 20th fastest bowler in test cricket are way faster then 50 years ago and just better athletes in general.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry, I don't think I got my point in regards to cummins across properly. I'm not saying there wasn't bowlers like cummins, i'm more saying there's just more bowlers who consistently operate at a faster speed nowadays. The 10th, or 15th, or 20th fastest bowler in test cricket are way faster then 50 years ago and just better athletes in general.
You also said 'higher release point'. And while I can't think of an action as weird as Bumrah, slinging actions that conceal the ball used to be much more common than they now are.

Practically everyone I've read who witnessed the transition to helmets first-hand reckoned head hits increased at the time, so a comparison across forty years is not as pertinent to the issue as it might seem. With respect to bowlers getting faster on average, yeah probably, but the phenomenon was noticed before that.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
You also said 'higher release point'. And while I can't think of an action as weird as Bumrah, slinging actions that conceal the ball used to be much more common than they now are.

Practically everyone I've read who witnessed the transition to helmets first-hand reckoned head hits increased at the time, so a comparison across forty years is not not as pertinent to the issue as it might seem. With respect to bowlers getting faster on average, yeah probably, but the phenomenon was noticed before that.
That's fair. Increase in hit's just after helmet's was definitely related to it, seems like a moral hazard within insurance situation.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Some unusual all-round feats:
Only two players have both scored a double hundred and conceded 200 in an innings in Test cricket: Vinoo Mankad and Ian Botham. Remarkably, Mankad performed each feat twice - apart from Mankad, only Saqlain Mushtaq and Yasir Shah (3) have even achieved the conceding 200 twice.

Mankad is also one of only two players to have scored 200 and conceded 200 in the same Test (Lords 1952, where he came within 4 runs of conceding 200 in an innings a 3rd time - and within 16 of a 3rd double hundred), the other being George Giffen.

Other players to have a busy match were Vijay Hazare, who scored or conceded 100+ in all 3 innings at Adelaide in 1948 (India lost by an innings), and Gary Sobers, who also "achieved" 3 hundreds in one Test, also at Adelaide (in 1969); he scored 110 (and 52) and conceded 100 in each inninngs.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it possible that when not wearing a helmet it was easier to get your head away from the ball?
Just thinking about the weight of the helmet on your head and how it might slow you down somewhat.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Seems to be quite a family affair this u19 squad.

3 players have fathers who were well known cricketers and two players have brothers currently playing county cricket.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The YES network (Official Yankees network) and WillowTV have agreed to show 7 of MI New York’s matches on the former’s platforms (tv and app).

YES’ MI New York Schedule

• Friday, July 5 MI New York vs. Seattle Orcas 3:30 p.m. ET*
  • Saturday, July 6 MI New York vs. Washington Freedom 3 p.m. ET*
  • Friday, July 12 MI New York vs. Texas Super Kings 3 p.m. ET*
  • Sunday, July 14 MI New York vs. Texas Super Kings 8:30 p.m. ET
  • Tuesday, July 16 MI New York vs. Washington Freedom 8:30 p.m. ET
  • Thursday, July 18 MI New York vs. San Francisco Unicorns 8:30 p.m. ET
  • Sunday, July 21 MI New York vs. Los Angeles Knight Riders 8:30 p.m. ET
Schedule subject to change

All YES Network telecasts will also be streamed live on the YES App

*Games streamed live exclusively on the YES App

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this thread is as good as any.

It concerns a story from the Bodyline series which I think is worth sharing.

Victor Richardson was Australian vice-captain during that series. At the Adelaide Test, English manager Pelham Warner came to the Australian dressing seeking an apology from the player who called Harold Larwood a bastard.
Richardson, who had answered the knock on the dressing room door turned to his teammates and asked "Which one of you bastards called Larwood a bastard instead of that bastard [Douglas] Jardine?"

Midwinter

State Captain
Well I read.....
In 1921 the english captain, Lionel, Lord Tennesyon, came to the Australian dressing room and complained to the captain, Warwick Armstrong, that he had been insulted by one of the Australian players.
Armstrong turned to his players and asked
"Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard ?".

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The Richardson anecdote is mentioned in Fingleton's book "Cricket Crisis" and in an article published in a newspaper (Daily Telegraph?) in 2010 regarding sledging in Ashes series. I hadn't heard of the Armstong version.