• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 100 Greatest Cricketers Poll

Brook's side

International Regular
Yes there is. He is middling every ball with the bat; the very pinnacle of technique. And I have seen Pele going to dribble past defenders; who nowadays will just not go for the final tackle, block him and force him to make a shot. They literally used to play with a 2-3-5 formation.....
I'm not changing my view on the technique in that video, as it's absolutely clear to see.

I will row back on my comments to some extent though.
There are videos in the late 1930s where clearly the standard of play is high. Stan McCabe for one. He could bat. And clearly there was a high standard of bowling by then.

I recognise that Hobbs must have been a decent player, because nobody was saying that the players in the 1930s were light years ahead of Hobbs.
I can only guess that he fell off a cliff around 1930 (was still scoring for fun in 1928 aged 45), and maybe lost his marbles as well or something, but there are still very strange things about that video, for instance the forward lunge amongst others. I also generally remain somewhat skeptical about the standard of play prior to say 1930.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I'm not changing my view on the technique in that video, as it's absolutely clear to see.

I will row back on my comments to some extent though.
There are videos in the late 1930s where clearly the standard of play is high. Stan McCabe for one. He could bat. And clearly there was a high standard of bowling by then.

I recognise that Hobbs must have been a decent player, because nobody was saying that the players in the 1930s were light years ahead of Hobbs.
I can only guess that he fell off a cliff around 1930 (was still scoring for fun in 1928 aged 45), and maybe lost his marbles as well or something, but there are still very strange things about that video, for instance the forward lunge amongst others. I also generally remain somewhat skeptical about the standard of play prior to say 1930.
As I said prior, that video was pretty much just a show. There was hardly much substance in it to make such presumptuous claims. Hobbs was the World's best batsman until 1928 and played international cricket till 1930. His last FC match was in 1934. His career overlapped with McCabe's and I imagine not McCabe's could had claimed her son to be superior. If you believe the change in quality of the game Hobbs and McCabe played was significant, I would say that's very questionable. And as of technique, Hobbs was regarded as technically the perfect specimen of batsmanship by everyone, even ahead of Bradman; and he himself shared that view. Hobbs was dubbed "The Master" for a reason.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
21. Dennis Lillee
22. Bill O'Reilly
23. Curtly Ambrose
24. George Headley
25. Dale Steyn
26. Steve Smith
27. Ray Lindwall
28. Sunil Gavaskar
29. Ian Botham
30. Fred Trueman.

Brook's side

International Regular
And as of technique, Hobbs was regarded as technically the perfect specimen of batsmanship by everyone, even ahead of Bradman; and he himself shared that view. Hobbs was dubbed "The Master" for a reason.
You: everyone said Hobbs had brilliant technique
Me: (show you a video of Hobbs where his technique's terrible)
You: that's brilliant technique
Me: it's terrible technique

REPEAT

completely pointless 'conversation' :thumbup1:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Me: (show you a video of Hobbs where his technique's terrible)
You: that's brilliant technique
Me: it's terrible technique

REPEAT

completely pointless 'conversation' :thumbup1:
Yep. This conversation is more pointless than the Whitney one. And really don't want this thread to be filled with posts about Hobbs' techniques..... I though showed you that he has results backing him in every condition against every kind of attack; you showed me a 100 second clip of him sleep walking through throw downs.

Last edited:

howitzer

State Captain
Steyn
Smith
Ambrose
Gavaskar
O'Reilly
Botham
Lillee
Donald
Border
Lindwall (over Garner for his batting...hey hum)

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
@Brook's side - you are like a dog with a bone when it comes to posting your opinions. Give us a break. It happened in the now closed music thread and now you are overloading this thread with your views. There have been plenty of explanations regarding the initial clip yet you continue your over-the-top attack.

Back to the voting:

Gavaskar
Steyn
Ambrose
Lillee
O'Reilly
Trueman
Headley
Botham
Sutcliffe
Lindwall

srbhkshk

International Captain

Here is a clip with some actual substance of Hobbs batting..... The idea that Hobbs was technically inferior and Pele wasn't is complete bogus to me.
That's genuinely terrible stuff, how in the hell is this technique better than root. Coupled with the keeper making out with the stumps while supposedly keeping to a pacer, idk if it proves anything close to what you wanted to prove.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
That's genuinely terrible stuff, how in the hell is this technique better than root. Coupled with the keeper making out with the stumps while supposedly keeping to a pacer, idk if it proves anything close to what you wanted to prove.
I genuinely wanted to prove nothing. His output describes his techniques pretty aptly. The clip is there just to show something which actually matters, unlike the previous one. And keepers in the ol' days used to stand to stumps to the medium pacers.

sayon basak

State Regular
Keepers didn't stand next to the stumps while keeping Larwood.
Some footage from the bodyline series:-

And don't really get how hobbs got into all of these.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
19 voters concludes this round. This round went quite as expected despite the drop in votes and the top 10 stood clear. Though it should be mentioned that ranks 11-14 were very closely, teasing a tight 4th Round.
Here are the results:

PlayersPointsVotes
Curtly Ambrose14519
Dale Steyn13118
Sunil Gavaskar11415
Steve Smith9712
Dennis Lillee9114
Bill O'Reilly8714
George Headley5411
Greg Chappell4110
Ian Botham3610
Fred Trueman307
Allan Donald247
Herbert Sutcliffe238
Joel Garner234
Kumar Sangakkara227
Ricky Ponting185
Shaun Pollock154
Graeme Pollock143
Ray Lindwall124
Allan Border113
Mike Procter91
Allan Knott91
Ken Barrington91
Everton Weekes81
Steve Waugh61
Kapil Dev51
K S Ranjitsinhji41
A B de Villiers41
Barry Richards31
Frank Worrell21
Waqar Younis21
Rahul Dravid11

Here are the results of Top 30:

RankPlayers
1Don Bradman
2Garry Sobers
3Imran Khan
4W G Grace
5Sachin Tendulkar
6Richard Hadlee
7Jack Hobbs
8Malcolm Marshall
9Viv Richards
10Glenn McGrath
11Shane Warne
12Mutthiah Muralitharan
13Jacques Kallis
14Keith Miller
15Brian Lara
16Wally Hammond
17Len Hutton
18Adam Gilchrist
19Wasim Akram
20Sydney Barnes
21Curtly Ambrose
22Dale Steyn
23Sunil Gavaskar
24Steve Smith
25Dennis Lillee
26Bill O'Reilly
27George Headley
28Greg Chappell
29Ian Botham
30Fred Trueman

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I know commence the beginning of Round 4. Please vote for players not already ranked for spots 31-40. Open for 48 hours.

I will begin with:

Shaun Pollock
Joel Garner
Allan Donald
Kumar Sangakkara
Herbert Sutcliffe
Allan Border
Graeme Pollock
Ray Lindwall
K S Ranjitsinhji
Michael Holding