• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time Australia XIs - A re-run

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like Johnson's stocks have plunged since retirement.

Australia XI:Australia AAustralia BAustralia CAustralia D
1. RB Simpson ⬆1. VT Trumper⬇1. AR Morris ⬇1. JL Langer1. WM Woodfull ⬇
2. ML Hayden2. WM Lawry⬆2. WH Ponsford2. SG Barnes ⬆2. UT Khawaja⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆
3. DG Bradman *3. RT Ponting3. C Hill3. CG Macartney3. DC Boon ⬆
4. SPD Smith⬆4. RN Harvey4. SJ McCabe4. AL Hassett *4. IM Chappell
5. GS Chappell5. AR Border * ⬇5. MJ Clarke5. MEK Hussey
6. KR Miller6. SR Waugh6. KD Walters6. MA Noble
7. AC Gilchrist +7. IA Healy +7. RW Marsh +7. JM Gregory ⬆7. BJ Haddin + ⬆⬆
8. SK Warne8. AK Davidson8. RB Benaud * ⬆8. WAS Oldfield +8. MG Johnson ⬇⬇
9. WJ Reilly⬆9. RR Lindwall⬇9. JN Gillespie ⬇9. CBT Turner ⬇
10. DK Lillee10. PJ Cummins ⬆*1310. WA Johnston⬆10. NM Lyon ⬆ ⬆ ⬆10. CJ McDermott
11. GD McGrath11. CV Grimmett ⬆11. FR Spofforth ⬇11. JR Hazlewood⬆⬆⬆

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Please choose the below.

1. Number 5 batsman for the side
2. Third pacer/spinner
3. Fourth bowler (either pacer or spinner)
4. Best fit at number 6 based on above selections

Last edited:

Qlder

International Debutant
Please choose the below.

1. Number 5 batsman for the side
2. Third pacer
3. Fourth bowler (either pacer or spinner)
4. Best fit at number 6 based on above selections
It's working out ok but something's off with the bowler questions. Every other team we have been requested to nominate a spinner and 4th bowler is optional pacer/spinner. This one allows us to pick 4 pacers

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It's working out ok but something's off with the bowler questions. Every other team we have been requested to nominate a spinner and 4th bowler is optional pacer/spinner. This one allows us to pick 4 pacers
Yes, I actually missed Trumble but in general, I am assuming that once the first few teams are gone, the following teams in general go with 4 pacers plus a spinning all-rounder a lot due dearth of quality spinners. Hence, I have left that option as well open to the voters instead of having to vote mandatorily for an inferior spinner.

Qlder

International Debutant
Australia has pretty much always gone with a spinner and you've still got Trumble, I. Johnson, Mailey, Mallett, Yardley, Higgs, Bright, May, Holland, McGill, C.Miller, Matthews...

Having them compete with a 4th pacer just doesn't seem right but maybe that's just me

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Yes, I actually missed Trumble but in general, I am assuming that once the first few teams are gone, the following teams in general go with 4 pacers plus a spinning all-rounder a lot due dearth of quality spinners. Hence, I have left that option as well open to the voters instead of having to vote mandatorily for an inferior spinner.
Then you should leave the position open for a second spinner as well imo..... Can see situations where it can be utilised with a pacer allrounder.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Australia has pretty much always gone with a spinner and you've still got Trumble, I. Johnson, Mailey, Mallett, Yardley, Higgs, Bright, May, Holland, McGill, C.Miller, Matthews...

Having them compete with a 4th pacer just doesn't seem right but maybe that's just me
Ironmonger, Iverson, Palmer, Saunders, Hordern, McCool, O'Keefe, Fleetwood-Smith, Gleeson, Dooland.....

Teuton

International Captain
how about making the first questions for a team something like:
1. Name the best two top 6 players
2. Name the best two bowlers

then tailor subsequent questions around the results

I do agree that all teams should have at least 2 pace bowlers & 1 spinner with flexibility for the 4th bowler and 5th bowler (allrounder) slot

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
how about making the first questions for a team something like:
1. Name the best two top 6 players
2. Name the best two bowlers

then tailor subsequent questions around the results

I do agree that all teams should have at least 2 pace bowlers & 1 spinner with flexibility for the 4th bowler and 5th bowler (allrounder) slot
Done. Will do this from the next team.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Below are the final four players for Australia D. With a tie for number 5 batsman, I am voting for M.Waugh who also got a few votes for number 6 position.

Total votes36
Total voters9
Martyn2
M.Waugh3
Norm O'Neill3
Jones1
McKenzie6
Trumble7
Reiffel1
I.Johnson1
Thomson1
McGill1