• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 100 Greatest Cricketers Poll

number11

State Regular
I will offer a top 10 now:

Sobers
Bradman
Imran
Viv Richards
Gilchrist

(I think these are the 5 greatest test cricketers ever/cricketers ever. They add the most value to a side).

Lara
Tendulkar
Warne
McGrath
Akram

Generally test focussed, but consideration given to other formats.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
1. Bradman
2. Imran Khan
3. Garry Sobers
4. Richard Hadlee
5. Viv Richards
6. Malcolm Marshall
7. Statchin Tendulkar
8. Muralitharan
9. Jack Hobbs
10. Glenn McGrath

Coronis

International Coach
Well personally for me, I consider ODIs and T20s a seperate thing to Test and First Class. I’m far from an expert on them so I’ll stick to what I know.

Bradman
Grace
Sobers
Kallis
Imran
Miller
Hobbs
Marshall
Tendulkar
Hadlee

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Don Bradman
WG Grace
Garry Sobers
Imran Khan
Muttiah Muralitharan

Richard Hadlee
Jacques Kallis
Sachin Tendulkar
Malcolm Marshall
Jack Hobbs

Qlder

International Debutant
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
3. Viv Richards
4. Gilchrist
5. Greg Chappell
6. Miller
7. Lillee
8. Botham
9. Marshall
10. Warne

sayon basak

State Regular
Points untill now:-
Don Bradman=196
Garry Sobers=170
Imran Khan=115
WG Grace=93
Sachin Tendulkar=76
Richard Hadlee=69
Jack Hobbs=67
Malcolm Marshall=58
Viv Richards=47
Glenn McGrath=37

Muttiah Muralitharan=31
Adam Gilchrist=29
Jacques Kallis=22
Shane Warne=20
Keith Miller=18
Wally Hammond=13

Didn't include players with single digit points (such as Brian Lara=9)

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Bradman
Sobers
Imran
Hadlee
Tendulkar
IVA Richards
Mcgrath
Hobbs
Muralidharan
Marshall

(Majority tests but a small % allotted to ODIs as if i feel absolute top tier ATGs in both formats like Richards should get their due)

sayon basak

State Regular
I have a problem with this methodology. Suppose if player A appears in 1 list at first place but another player B appears in 10 lists in 10th place. Then both of them will get 10 points, but isn't player B more worthy of getting into the top 10? I think this will be a problem when get to top 50 and beyond.

I thought about it for a while and came up with this.
Let greatness of a player be denoted by G.
And Let P= average position of player. And let A= total appearance.

Then G∝1/P and G∝A
Combining both, we get G∝A/P
Then, G=nA/P where n is defined so that when we do top 30 then n=30 and while doing top 50 n becomes 50.

In this method while doing top 30, the first players position will be 21 and not 1.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I have a problem with this methodology. Suppose if player A appears in 1 list at first place but another player B appears in 10 lists in 10th place. Then both of them will get 10 points, but isn't player B more worthy of getting into the top 10? I think this will be a problem when get to top 50 and beyond.
A valid problem. But I think here it should also be noted that I feel this methodology is among the more balanced ones. It would had taken way too long to rank every player one by one and ofcourse all the 10 players ranked aren't equal and the ranking order is very important. Anyways, if two players have equal points, the one with more votes gets ahead.