• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram vs. Waqar Younis vs. Imran Khan

How would you rate them in terms of bowling?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shortpitched713

International Captain
Waqar Younis took 184 Wickets at an Average of 18.49 from 1990-1994 🏏
Imran averaged just under 16 from 1980-86 . It's by far the best modern bowler peak of all time, in terms of average, as far as I'm aware.

It's funny, because I made a thread with this premise in which I was certain Waqar had the best peak, but I was wrong. Waqar still did end up having the best peak strike rate, but had multiple modern bowlers ahead of him for average, including Imran, Murali, and Marshall.

Last edited:

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
Imran averaged just under 16 from 1980-86 . It's by far the best modern bowler peak of all time, in terms of average, as far as I'm aware.

It's funny, because I made a thread with this premise in which I was certain Waqar had the best peak, but I was wrong. Waqar still did end up having the best peak strike rate, but had multiple modern bowlers ahead of him for average, including Imran, Muralist, and Marshall.

Imran-1980-1986- 184 Wickets - 15.93 Average, Sydney Barnes-Entire Career- 189 Wickets - 16.43 Average. Imran missed 1984 due to an Injury.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Imran-1980-1986- 184 Wickets - 15.93 Average, Sydney Barnes-Entire Career- 189 Wickets - 16.43 Average. Imran missed 1984 due to an Injury.
I mean, Barnes was far from modern. The game he played may as well have been ghilli danda for how little Test cricket of that time resembles really modern cricket... Even a lot of really skilled club bowlers couldn't get away with now bowling drifting medium pace cutters, which was by all reports the style of Barnes when he played.

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
I mean, Barnes was far from modern. The game he played may as well have been ghilli danda for how little Test cricket of that time resembles really modern cricket... Even a lot of really skilled club bowlers couldn't get away with now bowling drifting medium pace cutters, which was by all reports the style of Barnes when he played.
what do you say if Imran was benefitted from Pakistani Umpires ?

subshakerz

International Coach

It's funny, because I made a thread with this premise in which I was certain Waqar had the best peak, but I was wrong. Waqar still did end up having the best peak strike rate, but had multiple modern bowlers ahead of him for average, including Imran, Murali, and Marshall.

Imran's peak is well ahead of Waqar's.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I personally feel Imran and Waqar's achievements are far superior to what a player achieved before WW2. Barnes played during WW1.
Imran and Waqar did that in what was their peak years, that was Barnes whole career. Barnes still have the most statistically dominant series of any bowler by an outlandish margin.

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
Internationally: 1907-1914 I believe
Cricket players in those years were still amateur and not professionals. Its not even a right comparison. I rate Waqar's Achievement in early 90s as way more superior to even Imran's peak years and in general both their achievements far superior.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Cricket players in those years were still amateur and not professionals. Its not even a right comparison. I rate Waqar's Achievement in early 90s as way more superior to even Imran's peak years and in general both their achievements far superior.
Barnes was totally professional.