• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

International Debutant
Should he consider a reserval of the tweet?
He should but he won't. I dont like getting into politics, especially South African politics but he has held multiple positions across various industries in SA and never seems to produce much. Minister of Police, Minister of Transport, Minister of Sport....

@StephenZA has mentioned it before but the failure at grass roots level is why we see a lack of representation in the senior team. Who do they fit in here? Phelukwayo and Bavuma?? Come on.

Bahseph

International Debutant
On a personal note, I've personally felt this as a person of colour. I was a keen crickter in my youth. Played lots of Bakers Mini Cricket but ultimately had to stop playing it seriously because I couldn't afford kit. My family were reasonably middle class but it was a stretch even for them to afford kit. Ended up taking up soccer because it was cheaper and have been playing it ever since. It's really no shock why we don't have a senior team that's representing the demographics of the company.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Leaving aside for a moment who's saying these things and their possible motives, it is a valid criticism as we've definitely gone backwards in terms of the side being representative.

But they can't pick players for the national side if they're not playing domestic cricket, so clearly the system is not working as intended when it comes to producing international quality non-white players, and a proper review needs to be done rather than just bleating about how few of those players have been picked.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Leaving aside for a moment who's saying these things and their possible motives, it is a valid criticism as we've definitely gone backwards in terms of the side being representative.

But they can't pick players for the national side if they're not playing domestic cricket, so clearly the system is not working as intended when it comes to producing international quality non-white players, and a proper review needs to be done rather than just bleating about how few of those players have been picked.
100%. Who has a valid gripe about not being on that plane?

Silver Silva

International Regular

I feel sorry for your cricketers, all 15 are South African born but it seems that is not good enough to be representative.It must leave such a bad taste in that dressing room.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
He should but he won't. I dont like getting into politics, especially South African politics but he has held multiple positions across various industries in SA and never seems to produce much. Minister of Police, Minister of Transport, Minister of Sport....

@StephenZA has mentioned it before but the failure at grass roots level is why we see a lack of representation in the senior team. Who do they fit in here? Phelukwayo and Bavuma?? Come on.
I was making a light jab at his bad spelling 😂

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
The question is, seeing as the representation requirements are out the door for the squad. Would one assume the same applies for the starting XI.

On the same note, I would have thought that splitting from the franchise system back to the provincial system would have helped widen the selection pool in terms of demographics and representation in the national team. However, quite interestingly, seems it's had the opposite effect. Or would you say this is completely coincidental?

Dendarii

International Debutant
The question is, seeing as the representation requirements are out the door for the squad. Would one assume the same applies for the starting XI.
There aren't any requirements for the playing XI. There are targets, which are an average measured over an entire season. It obviously makes it easier to maintain that average if the make up of the team matches the targets, but they are allowed to field teams which don't.

On the same note, I would have thought that splitting from the franchise system back to the provincial system would have helped widen the selection pool in terms of demographics and representation in the national team. However, quite interestingly, seems it's had the opposite effect. Or would you say this is completely coincidental?
I don't think it really helps all that much. The big provinces are still going to have the bulk of the talent because they have access to the best sporting schools as well as the money to recruit from the smaller teams. So the best players are still going to end up playing for the teams that they would have under the old system.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm not sure why more teams and more numbers meant they expected more BA players to be selected. It's totally forgetting the other players in the system and how good they are or they have to be the best to be selected. Tokenism doesn't help, it only makes things worse as it covers the cracks and we sitting here now all acknowledging that the 15 chosen was correct and maybe 5/6 players outside the group could have a point of going but maybe not strong enough to say they should have been in over the 15 chosen.

On the best being the best, I don't think it's too different to anywhere else. Our 4 original major unions were Gauteng, Natal, WP, EP and then came Northerns and Free State. Those 6 should always gravitate to the top being the major cities. Titans and Lions the only teams with money to recruit at the moment.

For a short while, Border was in that group. Boland and or North West are in that category now and it's probably right in terms of player production as well for the Proteas. Border probably lost producing white players like they used too in good numbers and you really would have thought more Black Africans would have come through there. Big disappointment after Ntini and Zondeki to a degree. Hopefully Nqaba Peter can carry the baton. They've always thought Boland and Northern Cape had strong Coloured producing background. Easterns much like NW if they produced players of colour will be black African but they mainly white still you would think. The franchise system didn't help the smaller unions although when the system said you only had to pick a min of 4 poc at the beginning of the franchise system it was some seriously competitive and quality cricket.

Anyways an SA Emerging XI was chosen to play 2 warm-up games Vs SA before Windies series.

Rubin Hermann (NW)
Jordan Hermann (Warriors)
Andile Mogakane (Warriors)
Sibz Makhanya (Titans)
Mitch van Buuren (Lions)
Senuran Muthusamy (Warriors)
Dayyaan Galiem (Titans)
Andile Simelane (Dolphins)
Eathan Bosch (Dolphins)
Lutho Sipamla (Lions)
Okuhle Cele (Dolphins)

Last edited:

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
I'm not sure why more teams and more numbers meant they expected more BA players to be selected. It's totally forgetting the other players in the system and how good they are or they have to be the best to be selected. Tokenism doesn't help, it only makes things worse as it covers the cracks and we sitting here now all acknowledging that the 15 chosen was correct and maybe 5/6 players outside the group could have a point of going but maybe not strong enough to say they should have been in over the 15 chosen.

On the best being the best, I don't think it's too different to anywhere else. Our 4 original major unions were Gauteng, Natal, WP, EP and then came Northerns and Free State. Those 6 should always gravitate to the top being the major cities. Titans and Lions the only teams with money to recruit at the moment.

For a short while, Border was in that group. Boland and or North West are in that category now and it's probably right in terms of player production as well for the Proteas. Border probably lost producing white players like they used too in good numbers and you really would have thought more Black Africans would have come through there. Big disappointment after Ntini and Zondeki to a degree. Hopefully Nqaba Peter can carry the baton. They've always thought Boland and Northern Cape had strong Coloured producing background. Easterns much like NW if they produced players of colour will be black African but they mainly white still you would think. The franchise system didn't help the smaller unions although when the system said you only had to pick a min of 4 poc at the beginning of the franchise system it was some seriously competitive and quality cricket.

Anyways an SA Emerging XI was chosen to play 2 warm-up games Vs SA before Windies series.

Rubin Hermann (NW)
Jordan Hermann (Warriors)
Andile Mogakane (Warriors)
Sibz Makhanya (Titans)
Mitch van Buuren (Lions)
Senuran Muthusamy (Warriors)
Dayyaan Galiem (Titans)
Andile Simelane (Dolphins)
Eathan Bosch (Dolphins)
Lutho Sipamla (Lions)
Okuhle Cele (Dolphins)
Looks good mix of b and c team! Anyone auspeceously missing who isn't at ipl or county season?

SeamUp

International Coach
Looks good mix of b and c team! Anyone auspeceously missing who isn't at ipl or county season?
I think they mainly went with guys who were regulars to semi-regulars in SA20 and filled around that with R Hermann, Mogakane, Simelane, Cele and Sipamla.

Trying to think, maybe Jason Smith or Marques Ackerman after their CSA 20 Challenge. Delano Potgieter and Evan Jones have the ability to impact a game but need more consistency in at least batting or bowling.

George Linde or Kyle Simmonds for another AR spinning option.

Seleka has potential but need to see more drive and determination from him like Nqaba Peter shows. Obviously it's the skills that count most but you can also in body language the hunger of a player and Peter looks like someone who works at his game and wants to learn more. Often those players go further as they push themselves more.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
I think they mainly went with guys who were regulars to semi-regulars in SA20 and filled around that with R Hermann, Mogakane, Simelane, Cele and Sipamla.

Trying to think, maybe Jason Smith or Marques Ackerman after their CSA 20 Challenge. Delano Potgieter and Evan Jones have the ability to impact a game but need more consistency in at least batting or bowling.

George Linde or Kyle Simmonds for another AR spinning option.

Seleka has potential but need to see more drive and determination from him like Nqaba Peter shows. Obviously it's the skills that count most but you can also in body language the hunger of a player and Peter looks like someone who works at his game and wants to learn more. Often those players go further as they push themselves more.
Smith and Ackerman maybe age playing roles they must be close too or early 30s by now,? yes those two alrounders I agree more consistency. Linde is persona non grata and simmonds not rated? Seleka has potential...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You guys ever hear much about Michael Levitt coming up through the WP age group system? He's made a great start to his T20I career for Netherlands (admittedly not against particularly strong opposition so far) and he's only 20.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
You guys ever hear much about Michael Levitt coming up through the WP age group system? He's made a great start to his T20I career for Netherlands (admittedly not against particularly strong opposition so far) and he's only 20.
Heard about him , he can bowl some handy medium pace aswell ..Wouldn't be the first SA cricketer to play for the Dutch who no doubt benefit from any political instability SA face