• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which players would be locks in every OTHER country’s ATG XI?

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Hammond. I'd shoehorn him into the Aus and WI teams as an opener, but he gets in as a middle bat anyway.

In all-time v all-time I'd always want B. S. Chandrasekhar in my team too. Every AT XI will have 3 great pacers at a minimum. If they can't get a particular batsman out then what chance does a 4th pacer have? I'd just skip having this 4th pacer. Also if your regular finger or wrist spinner can't get it done then there is a point of difference bowler who might. Don't expect anyone to agree with me, but that's just how I'd go.

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
I think most teams would prefer him as a no 6 than a 4th bowler. I mean, a strong top 5, an allrounder at 6, a keeper who can bat and a bowling allrounder at 8; that's an ideal team set up.
No they wouldn't....

A 35 averaging no. 6 in an ATG XI, who wasn't keen on bowling and in this line up would have to much?

A player who in 55 tests had 7 centuries and almost half came in one series on the flat, placid surfaces of the Caribbean for which the WWWs get little credit.

Who as a bowler was mostly if not only effective with the new ball, a new ball that will be shared by Lillee and McGrath

He just doesn't fit. And like most other "genuine" all rounders, a jack of all trades a master of none type. He doesn't fit into a great ATG XI.

kyear2

International Coach
Only AT WI would be in the same league.
South Africa

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
A. B. deVilliers
Quinton de Kock
Mike Procter / Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Alan Donald

This team can't step into the field? There's 3 top tier ATG talents in the top 4 alone and a borderline ATG in Smith. A place attack that's behind only the WI and a really good spinner to boot.

The 2nd greatest top order all rounder in the history of the game, it bats plenty deep and an amazing cordon.

There's no weakness and a premier batsman and bowler who's capable to taking over games vs anyone.

Bolo.

International Captain
Only AT WI would be in the same league.
Aus definitely a notch above the others on paper in my eyes. But I think people seriously underestimate the extent to which a paper advantage will translate into results. The top teams are all trading wins a lot, and a number of teams are winning more at home than they lose against just about everyone else.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
No they wouldn't....

A 35 averaging no. 6 in an ATG XI, who wasn't keen on bowling and in this line up would have to much?

A player who in 55 tests had 7 centuries and almost half came in one series on the flat, placid surfaces of the Caribbean for which the WWWs get little credit.

Who as a bowler was mostly if not only effective with the new ball, a new ball that will be shared by Lillee and McGrath

He just doesn't fit. And like most other "genuine" all rounders, a jack of all trades a master of none type. He doesn't fit into a great ATG XI.
I disagree. You are underrating the need for a good 5th bowler a bit, which can change the outcome of many matches. Most teams also aren't really going with 6 batsmen who aren't actually anything with the ball (sorry Chappell, Border and is probably a bit harsh on Simpson); a vital breakthrough can be more valuable than 10 extra runs. 5 batsman, one all-rounder, one wicketkeeper who is as good a bat as a proper batsman and reasonable depth with Davidson, Lindwall and Warne; I think it's the best possible Aussie combination.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
South Africa

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
A. B. deVilliers
Quinton de Kock
Mike Procter / Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Alan Donald

This team can't step into the field? There's 3 top tier ATG talents in the top 4 alone and a borderline ATG in Smith. A place attack that's behind only the WI and a really good spinner to boot.

The 2nd greatest top order all rounder in the history of the game, it bats plenty deep and an amazing cordon.

There's no weakness and a premier batsman and bowler who's capable to taking over games vs anyone.
Procter, Steyn, Donald and Pollock are locks.
(Due to the absence of Vander Bijl and Rice )

capt_Luffy

International Captain
But in what universe is 6 pacers required?
Where are you finding the 6th pacer really (given Kallis is the 5th)?? Steyn, Donald, Procter, Pollock, a great pace attack with support from Kallis; Faulkner for the spin and if needed, Procter can turn the ball very well; with batting till 9, I think this team has most things covered.

smash84

The Tiger King
Where are you finding the 6th pacer really (given Kallis is the 5th)?? Steyn, Donald, Procter, Pollock, a great pace attack with support from Kallis; Faulkner for the spin and if needed, Procter can turn the ball very well; with batting till 9, I think this team has most things covered.
What?

kyear2

International Coach
Meant bowlers tbh.

smash84

The Tiger King
Procter was able to bowl off spin as well..... Like, he almost solely bowled off break in the WSC and averaged around 15.
Really? I didn't know that. I always thought he was only a fast bowler (which he definitely was, and a very good one at that).

kyear2

International Coach
Yeah, that's serious over kill though, lol