• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ten players you are glad you saw in their prime

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah...in all the leviathans I saw on that list, this was the one that 'set the cat amongst the pigeons' for me.

I saw a lot of Fleming bat, for NZ but also in the nets, Canterbury etc. Looked graceful as hell, no doubt, but I can't say he was anywhere near my 'glad I saw them' short list. In fact, I can't remember a single epic on NZ soil. Given he scored two Test centuries in 54 Tests (!!!!!) I guess that's not surprising.

Now that I think of it, has there been a worse/more underperforming home player in history?
Amarnath

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Here are my ten.

Richards B.
Richards V.
Gower
Lloyd
Botham
Gilchrist
Warne
Marshall
Lillee
Holding

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BC Lara
MD Marshall
Waqar Younis
SK Warne
RS Dravid
CEL Ambrose
KP Pietersen
Shoaib Akhtar
AB de Villiers
AD Donald

I was going to leave MDM out as I thought I might've missed him in his absolute cups, but I saw the Windies '88 tour when he'd have been in his early 30s and, having checked, he took 35 wickets at a tick over 12 and a half, so if that wasn't his prime his peak must've been effing good.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Bond, for me. Fast bowling is my thing and I saw him bowl some incredible spells and destroy genuine world class batsmen.

That goes for anyone bowling heat - my most vivid memory at Eden Park, even though I'd had 25 beers, was Brett Lee bowling crazy heat to Michael Papps in an ODI. The feeling at the ground was eerie, like I've never really experienced since

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
Couple of players that might not get mentioned much, but glad I got to see Gough and Gillespie in their prime.

Also there was a T20 match where Shaun Tait was bowling 155 to 160kph thunderbolts, followed up by Dirk Nannes and Mitchell Johnson bowling a pedestrian 150kph :laugh: That was pretty amazing to watch and it was a great close game vs Pak too.

Coronis

International Coach
Shane Bond, for me. Fast bowling is my thing and I saw him bowl some incredible spells and destroy genuine world class batsmen.

That goes for anyone bowling heat - my most vivid memory at Eden Park, even though I'd had 25 beers, was Brett Lee bowling crazy heat to Michael Papps in an ODI. The feeling at the ground was eerie, like I've never really experienced since
You should have 25 beers again

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Yes! This is why I still love Waqar more than many players who had better overall careers. There was that peak of him - whether the ball was tampered with or not, I don't really care - where he was just bowling such vicious, unstoppable heat. Any bowler that can do that I immediately appreciate them more. I still have fond memories of Shaun Tait bowling for similar reasons.

Those that could combine that speed, that aggression with the pinnacle of skill as well - Malcolm Marshall for me - even better.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
A memory which has forever stuck with me is Bond playing in his dayboo.
NZ were getting pummelled and in fact Australia scored over 550.
Bond, with figures of about 0/80 came back into the attack and produced one of the best overs I can ever recall.
He beat Steve Waugh all ends up the first 5 balls of the over having him jump around like a Jack in the box before getting him LB off the final ball of the
over for an 18 ball duck. It was an over for the ages.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
One player that I'm very glad I saw in their prime was Mitch Johnson. Anybody who never saw him during the 2013/14 summer will take one look at his career stats and say "so what?" Really wish I'd had the chance to see Jeff Thomson for the same reason.