• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne vs Steyn (Test bowling)

Greater Test bowler?

• Dale Steyn

• Shane Warne

Results are only viewable after voting.

shortpitched713

International Captain
It was very close between them in the 2024 All time bowlers poll (33 to 31 for their round of voting, just in favor of Warne) so I want to do a straight head to head of who was the greater Test bowler, between these two stylistically very different players?

Steyn is the SR king, but Warne has more volume.

I have my own conclusion, which I think Steyn definitely comes out on top, for a few reasons. And obviously Warne has been one of the most debated players in CW forum history (but usually against contemporaries Murali or McGrath).

But I do want to hear the concrete points that Warne supporters might have, in what is a completely different context for a comparison.

howitzer

State Captain
It was very close between them in the 2024 All time bowlers poll (33 to 31 for their round of voting, just in favor of Warne) so I want to do a straight head to head of who was the greater Test bowler, between these two stylistically very different players?

Steyn is the SR king, but Warne has more volume.

I have my own conclusion, which I think Steyn definitely comes out on top, for a few reasons. And obviously Warne has been one of the most debated players in CW forum history (but usually against contemporaries Murali or McGrath).

But I do want to hear the concrete points that Warne supporters might have, in what is a completely different context for a comparison.
Gonna use the time and take the next 5 and 3/4 years to give my answer.

Socerer 01

International Captain
this actually makes me question why spinners dont get leniency tax like openers do in overall comparisons and discussions since its acknowledged that bowling spin effectively in all conditions is tougher than bowling pace on average

ataraxia

International Coach
this actually makes me question why spinners dont get leniency tax like openers do in overall comparisons and discussions since its acknowledged that bowling spin effectively in all conditions is tougher than bowling pace on average
I disagree with your premise. Spinners may in general have higher averages than pacers but they tend to bowl to set partnerships as stock bowlers, and more frequently than pacers cause wickets at the other end to fall. Even in the worst countries for spinners to bowl in, quality spinners still perform this role, while in the subcontinent ATG pacers must adapt to something other than their usual modus operandi. Also -- someone has to open. Being a spinner is not a mandatory role. So if they're being selected (and they near invariably are), then it's because they warrant a place in the side on merit.

subshakerz

International Coach
I disagree with your premise. Spinners may in general have higher averages than pacers but they tend to bowl to set partnerships as stock bowlers, and more frequently than pacers cause wickets at the other end to fall. Even in the worst countries for spinners to bowl in, quality spinners still perform this role, while in the subcontinent ATG pacers must adapt to something other than their usual modus operandi. Also -- someone has to open. Being a spinner is not a mandatory role. So if they're being selected (and they near invariably are), then it's because they warrant a place in the side on merit.
Openers have leniency because they have to perform the same function as other bats but in the least ideal conditions.

Spinners don't get that leniency since they play in the same conditions as pacers, though often shielded from bowling too much in less ideal conditions, and have the same wickttaking function.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I think they already do. If you look at our voted upon rankings, the seamers surrounding the spinners we voted in, tend to have lower averages.

Rule of thumb, I'd put the "tax" at around 2 runs in the spinners favor. But less if he plays as part of an attack with 2 or more full time spin bowlers.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Warne failed horribly in Ind(and against Ind) and against Ind. Steyn wasn’t as horrible anywhere, and an amazing all conditions matchwinner, amazing at home, in Aus, in Ind, and good in Eng(outperformed Broad and Anderson by a mile, and SA’s best bowler in the 2012 win).

Athlai

Not Terrible
I mean Steyn is the better bowler but Warne the more valuable player. Huge gulf between Warne (and Murali) and the average Test spinner, while the average Test pace bowler is going to be at least somewhat useful imo