• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

jcas0167

International Debutant
Lyon bowled 16 overs and got 3 wickets. Looked to be getting a lot of turn. Why is Phillips only getting a third over now?

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Couldn't ask for a better start or position at the start of that session (apart from the loldrop). But they were never going to just roll over. I think this is where the captaincy ability and smart tactics, field placing and well timed bowling changes etc really comes into it. Not feeling super confident on these fronts.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Lyon bowled 16 overs and got 3 wickets. Looked to be getting a lot of turn. Why is Phillips only getting a third over now?
Also didn't bother to bowl the spinner that got Carey last time to Carey until he had 50 on the board. Or the left arm spinner who has a bit of rough outside Carey's offstump to aim at.

Spinner riskier to Marsh I think, but we're bleeding runs to him anyway.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
70-30 or 75-25 in Aus's favor now.

Marsh, Carey, Starc and Cummins are all good enough to get the required 100 runs against the old ball on a flatish day 4 pitch.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They need to forget about the deep field setting and just attack hard with a regulation field, 4 catchers and bowl line and length. There's enough there that Carey and Marsh won't last. Problem is Southee is afraid of their stroke play, he needs to be brave and bring the field up

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Just tuned in, seem to be a few familiar tropes in that session - crucial drop, burned reviews, questionable use of the short ball, out of form player coming good when needed etc. And of course bringing on the spinner fairly late. Sounds like it’s not just Southee’s bowling which needs to be talked about?

morgieb

Well this is on a knife’s edge now. Still think NZ are ahead but it’s close to 50/50.

I know people were ****ting on people questioning the decision to pension off Wagner but if he was playing I’d be far less optimistic in Australia’s chances.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Exciting to watch but not of the greatest standard.
The issue for the rest is Aus are vulnerable, but they are still winning, and the batting will click again.
Should be Henry and Phillips until Henry’s ****ed and then Sears with a proper field. No Southee, no Kuggeleijn. Probably give Ravindra a bowl before those two. Get one to slide on against Marsh.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Well this is on a knife’s edge now. Still think NZ are ahead but it’s close to 50/50.

I know people were ****ting on people questioning the decision to pension off Wagner but if he was playing I’d be far less optimistic in Australia’s chances.
Yeah NZ don't deserve to win for all their selection shenanigans. Which they will pat themselves on the back for if they win, and none of the rotten rubbish will change. My cricketing heart feels pretty torn. And it's sad to have to feel that way in such an otherwise exciting game.

Burgey

Couldn't ask for a better start or position at the start of that session (apart from the loldrop). But they were never going to just roll over. I think this is where the captaincy ability and smart tactics, field placing and well timed bowling changes etc really comes into it. Not feeling super confident on these fronts.
It's all going to be on Henry first up after lunch followed by Sears, isn't it? Presume he'll keep Phillips on and run with those two in that order from the other end.

Terrific test match this.