• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually think that wider line to him was something deliberate tbh. The way he throws his hands away from his body in that wristy sort of way makes him a bit susceptible to slicing wider balls in the air. I think it's something he can easily work out, and tbh he'll probably score a lot of runs playing that way anyway. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
It's a modern way of playing I guess. Still doesn't sit right with me. Damien Martyn was kicked out of Test cricket for 7 years for playing 1 such shot. Times change hey

Spark

Global Moderator
I actually think that wider line to him was something deliberate tbh. The way he throws his hands away from his body in that wristy sort of way makes him a bit susceptible to slicing wider balls in the air. I think it's something he can easily work out, and tbh he'll probably score a lot of runs playing that way anyway. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
The second innings dismissal was absolutely deliberate, they'd put a hilarious number of fielders in that area.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The second innings dismissal was absolutely deliberate, they'd put a hilarious number of fielders in that area.
Tbf its not like the plan came off straight away, plenty of times before he hit it in the air where he tried playing it along the ground but couldn't beat the field.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I wonder whether the NZ performance follows a deer in a headlights expression. Similar to when the Wallabies play the All Blacks. They've lost before they even go out into the field because it's been so long between wins and the mental side of the game gets to them.
So many loose shots, poor bowling and questionable captaincy in that first Test.
Not trying to take anything away from the Aussies though, their bowling attack continues to be relentless.

Spark

Global Moderator
Tbf its not like the plan came off straight away, plenty of times before he hit it in the air where he tried playing it along the ground but couldn't beat the field.
I mean it kind of did come off straight away. He got out, what, third ball after Lyon changed ends? That was when they put the extra point fielder + deep point in.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course it was deliberate, it was brilliant in its simplicity. And it was equally horrible in its downfall. Honestly, it was so obvious what the plan was, I don't think Lyon saying 'hey I'm trying to get you caught at point or on the 45' would have made any difference. But Rachin in his youthful abandon, even in the midst of scoring no runs and plenty of iffy moments with it, kept playing it until his downfall.

He did it the night before, too, and it makes me shake my head that either the coach said nothing or Rachin plowed on regardless.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia just did everything right in their set fields and you'd expect they will again in Christchurch. The leg/stacked offside theory from Lyon was so perfect, Mitchell and Rachin couldn't buy a run. Let's see whether we can muster some sort of reply - we'll have to be skilful and smart.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia just did everything right in their set fields and you'd expect they will again in Christchurch. The leg/stacked offside theory from Lyon was so perfect, Mitchell and Rachin couldn't buy a run. Let's see whether we can muster some sort of reply - we'll have to be skilful and smart.
You need a decent start so those sort of guys can back themselves. Bit of an obvious statement that, but I do rate NZ's middle order tbh. Just a question of whether they can have a platform set for them.

Latham seems pretty out of sorts based on the first test but is a good player; obviously Conway is a big out and Young is not up to his standard. He does scrap pretty hard though. If they can grind out an opening session it would go a long way to getting NZ right into it. Not easy against the Aus bowlers, but I reckon it's basically the key to the whole shebang. Theres always some luck involved early on, but even though neither of them made a big score, Khawaja and Smith getting Aus through to lunch one down was a pretty good effort in the conditions.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Tom latham is probably the worst batsman I've seen. H Nichols should be made a makeshift opener if nz are serious about becoming a good test side

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean it kind of did come off straight away. He got out, what, third ball after Lyon changed ends? That was when they put the extra point fielder + deep point in.
Where the extra fielders not in from the start of the day? Remembered him chopping tons of cuts to that area before the dismissal.

Gob

International Coach
Could you give mitchell the captaincy? He's a fairly senior player and probably the most secure batsmen in the side.
They say never trust a bald guy with captaincy. Why do you think N Lyon was never considered? Too much of a risk imo

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You need a decent start so those sort of guys can back themselves. Bit of an obvious statement that, but I do rate NZ's middle order tbh. Just a question of whether they can have a platform set for them.

Latham seems pretty out of sorts based on the first test but is a good player; obviously Conway is a big out and Young is not up to his standard. He does scrap pretty hard though. If they can grind out an opening session it would go a long way to getting NZ right into it. Not easy against the Aus bowlers, but I reckon it's basically the key to the whole shebang. Theres always some luck involved early on, but even though neither of them made a big score, Khawaja and Smith getting Aus through to lunch one down was a pretty good effort in the conditions.
I don't think any of us feel Tom Latham is a decent player anymore. He's been abysmal over the past 12 months. By the time the next match starts, his average over the past year will be 16. If you do it from today, it's 20. If you go back to the start of last home summer, it's 23. He averages 24 v Australia through 18 completed innings. If he does a single thing against Australia - be it scrap or score runs - it will be in defiance of all that. Both dismissals were typical Latham in a lean trot - never the same way, generally soft.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The toughest thing for me personally to take is watching how brilliantly led Australia is. Cummins is an exceptional captain, but I also mean Andrew McDonald. Clearly he has nous, he leads that side well, they respond to him. They had outstanding plans for us in Wellington. They look like a team who know exactly what they're trying to do. They're very beatable, but you have to have skill, smarts and confidence to do so.

Conversely, we looked like a team who hoped to win in Wellington if everything went our way, Phillips apart. I don't see Latham fighting like Smith and Khawaja did, leaving balls well, looking to deny the opposition. Kane is a superstar but he shouldn't escape analysis - his run out was awful and he fell into an obvious trap 2nd dig that they've laid for years. Rachin was great for a while but fell into a bear trap that was labelled 'bear trap' in big bold letters and a flashing sign. Blundell got out the same way twice. And then you contrast the way Hazelwood batted for Green in the first dig, to how our captain refused to play for Mitchell in the second, and the disgusting shot our No.8 played in the first innings.

A lot of us as fans feel like this could get a lot worse...I think it could get a lot better, there's a lot of talent coming. But we need to get rid of the dunce coach and find a captain who has leadership qualities, who has Cummins-level inspiration about him, and actually deserves to be in the XI on ability.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I don't want this to happen. Potentially ever. I feel like he's far too precious as a 4, long term. That might change but I think with the way he's playing right now, we'd be weakening him and our overall stocks by making him open. I don't think his tightness on and around off stump is anywhere near efficient enough.
Yeah probably agree. Could potentially move up to 3 when Williamson retires as we doubtless will lack other top-3 options, but happy he stays at 4 for the foreseeable future.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think any of us feel Tom Latham is a decent player anymore. He's been abysmal over the past 12 months. By the time the next match starts, his average over the past year will be 16. If you do it from today, it's 20. If you go back to the start of last home summer, it's 23. He averages 24 v Australia through 18 completed innings. If he does a single thing against Australia - be it scrap or score runs - it will be in defiance of all that. Both dismissals were typical Latham in a lean trot - never the same way, generally soft.
As much as I've complained about Latham wilting, do need to find a way to get the best out of him for the next 3-4 years imo. It may involve dropping him for a bit, though there's really noone else around other than Young right now. Certainly involves dropping him from ODIs and telling him to focus on test batting.

He's worse against decent test attacks now than he was 5-8 years ago imo. Surely if he's playing tests only, he can get back to that level, at least.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
H Nichols should be made a makeshift opener if nz are serious about becoming a good test side
I unironically thought this might be a good idea years ago when Nicholls debuted, as he was limited but very stubborn and gritty.
Unfortunately he forgot the stubborn and gritty bit.