• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Flem274*

123/5
That's why it is so important to have a stable of talents, and to blood them in the environment (in a format that suits them - not poor ****in Wheeler in a T20 ffs).

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
I only saw the first session and looking at the scorecard at stumps I'd say it was an even day.
I did the same, well I tried, but that first hour put me to sleep. I think I saw 27 runs of which about half seem to come off the outside edge of Smith's bat. There's only so many Khawaja leaves a tired man can watch....

Gob

International Coach
I did the same, well I tried, but that first hour put me to sleep. I think I saw 27 runs of which about half seem to come off the outside edge of Smith's bat. There's only so many Khawaja leaves a tired man can watch....
Better stick to Buckethead and Crawley slogging away then. Proper test cricket may not be for you

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Better stick to Buckethead and Crawley slogging away then. Proper test cricket may not be for you
Personally, as a neutral watching at 11pm, I thought I was doing quite well. It's only because I love 'proper' Test Cricket I lasted that long.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too much advantage to the team that won the toss IMO

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Sounds like it was probably Australia's day, sent in on a tricky pitch.

Obviously I don't like praising any Aussies 😆 but I've always thought Cam Green looked a special talent, I'm surprised his test record isn't better.

This innings could really give him the confidence he needs to produce performances more in line with his undoubted talent.

mackembhoy

International Regular
This bloke doing the totally spontaneous and not at all scripted interviews with people at the ground is the NZ version of an FM radio zany guy, isn't he? Good to see they're punishing everywhere in the world and not just here
Cringe is the word for it

Big_Gun

Cricket Spectator
Good Test cricket!

Henry and O'rourke bowled good, was impressed that O'rourke was able to trouble the Aussie's with his pace and bounce.
As a Kiwi I am glad that Smith is opening the batting, if I was the Aussie coach i'd want a Smith at 3 or 4.

Tommorow I hope that NZ can bowl the last pair out early, hopefully Henry gets his 5th. NZ needs to start with Henry and O'rourke, dont let Southee near the ball. Southee is either physically done, or been unlucky, his pace is a worry.

Then when we bat I think the openers especially Young should be aggressive and they can take the shine off of the new ball so Wlliamson can get his 33rd 100.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is going to be a weird complaint but it's really getting on my nerves just how much official broadcaster/board-release highlights absolutely reek these days, they're just incompetently put together. Constantly focussing too much on the wrong things, missing important events and/or boundaries, skipping through wickets, not even attempting to give context to large milestones etc. For example Green went from 50 to 100 on the highlights Fox released at better than a run a ball and they might have shown two? three? of his boundaries, one of which was the hundred.

Even the ECB highlights, which used to be excellent, have gotten noticeably worse lately.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
without Matt Henry this would have been a pretty poor effort tbh
Always had to be. Southee is cooked, O'Rourke is nervous/new and Kuggeleijn bowls round arm filth, plus it isn't conducive to spin/we only have part-timers.

Henry had to lead that attack and did so brilliantly. O'Rourke is going to be a serious player, too, once he sorts out his radar, possibly his nerves and so on. Looks really awkward to face, and bowls exceptionally good balls to LHers.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
This is going to be a weird complaint but it's really getting on my nerves just how much official broadcaster/board-release highlights absolutely reek these days, they're just incompetently put together. Constantly focussing too much on the wrong things, missing important events and/or boundaries, skipping through wickets, not even attempting to give context to large milestones etc. For example Green went from 50 to 100 on the highlights Fox released at better than a run a ball and they might have shown two? three? of his boundaries, one of which was the hundred.

Even the ECB highlights, which used to be excellent, have gotten noticeably worse lately.
No your 100% right, there rushed. Green hit 3 4's to go from 91 to 103 in that last over, but they only showed one of them. Instead they decided to show the last ball of that over where green just leaves it through to the keeper. Fox are bad, but atleast it's not the spark highlights for nz games. Four minute highlights, FYI. Most annoying ****.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

This has been an issue for a while, now. I completely agree, it's awful. One of the Kiwi posters (sorry mate, whoever you are) said it was based on an algorhythm of crowd noise, which I always found hard to believe...but given how shitty the highlights are, I guess it's plausible.

Clearly it's a cost-cutting exercise. Either the junior office boy does it, or it's some sort of automated process that spits out rubbish. To be fair, TVNZ (free to air broadcaster in NZ for cricket) actually do it OK. Or maybe I compare that to Spark Sport (online subscription model, had the cricket but shut down) who were absolutely abysmal.

The ones that **** me (as a former bowler) are that as you say, they skip through wickets, don't show enough of DRS decisions, don't show dropped catches, and for some reason show inconsequential singles and stuff around breaks, but not other key moments.

I dunno if anyone else can back me up, but I am a big golf fan. The PGA Tour (who pays billions in prize money across a season) has THE WORST highlights package of any sport I can think of. It used to be good...and now it absolutely sucks. It's all out of wack on time, doesn't build suspense with the right players, shows inconsequential shots/golfers etc, then sort of shoehorns the winner/challengers in at the end. So if an organisation with that sort of money and resources can't be bothered, I think we're all doomed.