• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would 80s WI and 2000s Australia fare in unbeatable current India?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
aha that was a treat

still remember subs backing bazball to the moon then
I mean, bazball is the whole reason England have been in this current series, isnt it? If mccullum isn't at the helm Pope doesn't make that 190, Bashir doesn't get picked to give them a chance in the 4th test and I doubt Hartley gets in the squad ahead of Dawson if a more typical regime is at the helm.

subshakerz

International Coach
First time? Welcome to the club. Jokes aside, Subz isn't that bad and trust me him and I have gone a few rounds in the past. But at the end of it all, we hug it out and move on. Subz isn't remotely as bad as past posters like blocky, bhupinder Singh, ikki etc.
I am not bad at all, I just have a few opinions I champion that certain posters genuinely hate. But I will at least come around to some meeting point after some jousting.

Xix2565

International Regular
I mean, bazball is the whole reason England have been in this current series, isnt it? If mccullum isn't at the helm Pope doesn't make that 190, Bashir doesn't get picked to give them a chance in the 4th test and I doubt Hartley gets in the squad ahead of Dawson if a more typical regime is at the helm.
I don't think they've been as competitive as they could've been. They've scored more runs in better conditions, but their wicket taking prowess fell off massively compared to the 2021 tour, even accounting for pitches.

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't think they've been as competitive as they could've been. They've scored more runs in better conditions, but their wicket taking prowess fell off massively compared to the 2021 tour, even accounting for pitches.
They have rookie spinners, only so much that can be done, aside from the third test they were competitive throughout and it has been impressive.

Socerer 01

International Captain
im not saying bazball has been bad for them, just that subs backed them to be the best team in test cricket and it hasnt quite panned out that way

subshakerz

International Coach
I agree. Best of now vs then:

Rohit
Jaiswal
Pujara
Kohli*
Rahane
Jadeja
Pant+
Ashwin
Siraj
Shami
Bumrah

Vs

Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman
Ganguly*
Dhoni+
Harbi
Kumble
Sharma
Zaheer

4 tests in current conditions. Score line??
Bumrah I think gives Kohli's side an edge if not rank turners so 2-1 to them.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Somoene give me a squad for windies 80s ans australia 2000s or I'm just going to statsguru a squad together.
ik you didnt ask for it but the India one is the only one i can throw up

Rohit
Mayank
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin
Ishant
Shami
Bumrah

subshakerz

International Coach
im not saying bazball has been bad for them, just that subs backed them to be the best team in test cricket and it hasnt quite panned out that way
Not sure. What if England win the last test, would they have performed better than Australia last year?

Australia have seemed weak at home recently.

Xix2565

International Regular
They have rookie spinners, only so much that can be done, aside from the third test they were competitive throughout and it has been impressive.
They could've picked an extra bowler rather than rely on Root a lot. The conditions this time around weren't as conducive for that strategy to be successful, they needed more control across more overs and Anderson can only bowl for so much which sucks because he's their best bowler at holding down an end. It looks better than it is because of the batting, but they're still giving up more runs for the wickets than they score.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They have been fine but I think England will look back on this series as one of their biggest missed opportunities (similar to Australia last year, but even more so). This is an India team in decline and had half their first choice players missing. Jadeja missed a game and isn't even fully fit. Ashwin was away for a key period in one of the games and also wasn't at his best. Bumrah rested for a game.

They could've won this series if their senior batsmen did a bit better.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Somoene give me a squad for windies 80s ans australia 2000s or I'm just going to statsguru a squad together.
WI:
Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Viv Richards
Clive Lloyd (c)
Alvin Kalicharan
Larry Gomes
Jeff Dujon (wk)
Malcolm Marshall
Andy Roberts
Michael Holding
Joel Garner

Subs:
Richie Richardson
Gus Logie
Roger Harper
Courtney Walsh

Aus:
Matthew Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Mark Waugh
Steve Waugh (c)
Damien Martyn
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Shane Warne
Jason Gillespie
Brett Lee
Glenn McGrath

Subs:
Michael Slater
Michael Clarke
Stuart MacGill
Stuart Clarke

IND:
Rohit Sharma
Mayank Agarwal
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli (c)
Ajinkya Rahane
Rishabh Pant (wk)
Ravindra Jadeja
Ravichandran Ashwin
Kuldeep Yadav
Mohammad Shami
Jasprit Bumrah

Subs:
Murali Vijay
K L Rahul
Axar Patel
Umesh Yadav

Xix2565

International Regular
I agree. Best of now vs then:

Rohit
Jaiswal
Pujara
Kohli*
Rahane
Jadeja
Pant+
Ashwin
Siraj
Shami
Bumrah

Vs

Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman
Ganguly*
Dhoni+
Harbi
Kumble
Sharma
Zaheer

4 tests in current conditions. Score line??
Swap Siraj with one of Ishant/Umesh/Kuldeep/Axar IMO.

Honestly, 2-1/3-1 to the modern side. I don't think the pace bowling and spin bowling gap is made up by having an extra batter.

Socerer 01

International Captain
WI:
Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Viv Richards
Clive Lloyd (c)
Alvin Kalicharan
Larry Gomes
Jeff Dujon (wk)
Malcolm Marshall
Andy Roberts
Michael Holding
Joel Garner

Subs:
Richie Richardson
Gus Logie
Roger Harper
Courtney Walsh

Aus:
Matthew Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Mark Waugh
Steve Waugh (c)
Damien Martyn
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Shane Warne
Jason Gillespie
Brett Lee
Glenn McGrath

Subs:
Michael Slater
Michael Clarke
Stuart MacGill
Stuart Clarke

IND:
Rohit Sharma
Mayank Agarwal
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli (c)
Ajinkya Rahane
Rishabh Pant (wk)
Ravindra Jadeja
Ravichandran Ashwin
Kuldeep Yadav
Mohammad Shami
Jasprit Bumrah

Subs:
Murali Vijay
K L Rahul
Axar Patel
Umesh Yadav
swap Ishant for Kuldeep and you’re golden

subshakerz

International Coach
They have been fine but I think England will look back on this series as one of their biggest missed opportunities (similar to Australia last year, but even more so). This is an India team in decline and had half their first choice players missing. Jadeja missed a game and isn't even fully fit. Ashwin was away for a key period in one of the games and also wasn't at his best. Bumrah rested for a game.

They could've won this series if their senior batsmen did a bit better.
It goes back to the same point I make about BazBall, we can rue missed opportunities but those opportunities were only created because of BazBall.

Sunil1z

International Regular
It goes back to the same point I make about BazBall, we can rue missed opportunities but those opportunities were only created because of BazBall.
They didn’t Bazball at all in 4th Test . Their missed opportunity was entire Day 3 . Allowing IND to come close to their 1st innings score and collapsing from 110-3 to 145 all out in 2nd innings.

Socerer 01

International Captain
In India, Kuldeep is probably better IMO.
possibly but Kuldeep played like 6 tests in 2016-19 where as Ishant was a regular and the 4th most active bowler in that period

Ishant is also very underrated imo for how important he was in bowling long spells and still be threatening, imo we havent replaced him still and the side is suffering for it. i would even take him ahead of Shami

edit: looking at the statistics Ishant has 0.4 average better with better economy and worse strike rate. its very close either way