• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

jcas0167

International Debutant
Interesting discussion with Rutherford and McMillan in the comm box on Foulkes and O'Rourke. Rutherford saying Foulkes isn't particularly quick but has a very good bouncer and swings it in. McMillan asked if he was one of the hardest bowlers he'd faced recently and Rutherford said he actually found he opened up the off-side for him. O'Rourke was the hardest and had improved massively from not swinging it to now being able to swing it both ways.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Shipley looking fairly reduced as bowler
Interesting discussion with Rutherford and McMillan in the comm box on Foulkes and O'Rourke. Rutherford saying Foulkes isn't particularly quick but has a very good bouncer and swings it in. McMillan asked if he was one of the hardest bowlers he'd faced recently and Rutherford said he actually found he opened up the off-side for him. O'Rourke was the hardest and had improved massively from not swinging it to now being able to swing it both ways.
38th over for those who want to find it on the stream. Although jcas has pretty much covered it all. Macca also touched on the coaches and bowling coaches in Canterbury who have played a part.

Was actually frustrating. Got a fresh out of the oven retired pro talking about the 2 most interesting bowlers in NZ. The someone gets a minor finger injury and the conversion grinds to a halt, with plenty of replays of a guy getting hit on finger and lots of silence. While absolutely nothing is happening on the field.

Really poor by Macca.

Immenso

Saw Lister swing one the other way. which I've never seen before.

Ruds, in comms, says it a delivery he's been working on last few years, to swing sway ftom LHers. I wonder if he has also then masteed bending it back in RHers? Or am I just taking Rutherford too literally, in that he is talking from his own LHers experience?

Flem274*

123/5
Saw Lister swing one the other way. which I've never seen before.

Ruds, in comms, says it a delivery he's been working on last few years, to swing sway ftom LHers. I wonder if he has also then masteed bending it back in RHers? Or am I just taking Rutherford too literally, in that he is talking from his own LHers experience?
Lister bowled very well earlier. He's a great little asset for a bouncy NZ pitch with the bounce and hooping swing. Nicholls and Latham did not have fun.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Matt Rowe who did well at the under 19 WC turning out for CD A. Lellman is 64 not out for ND A. I'm hoping Bettelheim gets runs and gets a CD debut in the Plunket Shield.

Immenso

Fergus Lellman getting an unbeaten double century for ND 'A'.

That is timely. Although too late to make any difference for selections for first round of PS resumption. Which starts tomorrow. But, if opportunities open up over the next month.

Last edited:

Ghost75

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Fergus Lellman getting an unbeaten double century for ND 'A'.

That is timely. Although too late to make any difference for selections for first round of PS resumption. Which starts tomorrow. But, if opportunities open up over the next month.
I seem to recall there was a bit of talk a couple of seasons ago about Ma'ara Ave being called into the Otago team. Was probably COVID related but what are your thoughts on association selecting players from within their own catchment areas or picking who they think is the best player to fill that particular spot regardless on where they are from? If Lellman couldn't crack the ND team and Auckland needed a top order batter and they thought he was better than anyone in their patch would that be a good thing. Might ensure the best talent is always being picked?

Immenso

I seem to recall there was a bit of talk a couple of seasons ago about Ma'ara Ave being called into the Otago team. Was probably COVID related but what are your thoughts on association selecting players from within their own catchment areas or picking who they think is the best player to fill that particular spot regardless on where they are from? If Lellman couldn't crack the ND team and Auckland needed a top order batter and they thought he was better than anyone in their patch would that be a good thing. Might ensure the best talent is always being picked?
My thoughts are that it was an absolute disgrace , Ave and Otago.

It wasn't covid related. I don't know, but just my assumption , is that the relatively recently arrived coach had zero knowledge of the local players so called up someone from his old neck of the woods.

I think the Plunket Shield should have integrity.

I think the club cricket and A cricket should have meaning within each province. Otherwise, all the people in that layer (players, coaches, volunteers) will stop giving a ****. Slippery slope.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It wasn't covid related. I don't know, but just my assumption , is that the relatively recently arrived coach had zero knowledge of the local players so called up someone from his old neck of the woods.
Yeah scouting and poaching talent from other regions seems like something that should pretty much only happen between seasons.

Immenso

Bettelheim also closing in on a double ton in the A game. Not a lot of recognisable names though in that ND A bowling attack.
Did Matt Rowe come in as a nightwatchman? Imagine being a budding provincial 'A' batter, in one of our very rare opportunities to bat in 3 day cricket, and you put in a nightwatchman ahead of you and he then he bats for 4 hours denying you a bat ....

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Bettelheim also closing in on a double ton in the A game. Not a lot of recognisable names though in that ND A bowling attack.
Did Matt Rowe come in as a nightwatchman? Imagine being a budding provincial 'A' batter, in one of our very rare opportunities to bat in 3 day cricket, and you put in a nightwatchman ahead of you and he then he bats for 4 hours denying you a bat ....
Not a very good attack but good on Bettelheim, that’s another big 100 for CD A since he got there. Like I said earlier this summer he should’ve played for ND last year, hopefully he gets a crack this year for CD. The kid can play

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fisher's action slightly less front-on today, leaning away to nip the ball in to the right hander. Even a little inswing which I haven't seen from him before, for the lbw.