• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Caught up with some friends for dinner, so watched the game in delay and successfully avoided spoilers at all costs... for that. Pretty deflating tbh.

Have to say I did really enjoy the first innings though, so at least there was that.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Depressing, but as with T20Is we forget it completely the next day and roll on.

'Hey Dad, remember the day Santner batted 3, Boult batted 8, Finn Allen kept wicket and Phillips had to tell the commentators to shut the **** up so he could bat...?'

No son, no I don't.

But Dad, it was only last week!!!

Gob

International Coach
Depressing, but as with T20Is we forget it completely the next day and roll on.

'Hey Dad, remember the day Santner batted 3, Boult batted 8, Finn Allen kept wicket and Phillips had to tell the commentators to shut the **** up so he could bat...?'

No son, no I don't.

But Dad, it was only last week!!!
Also you are adopted. tough titties

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was a shocker, but I'm consoling myself with the fact that surely we won't have many instances of Conway, Williamson, Mitchell and Ravindra all being unavailable at the same time.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Thinking over it today, the Santner to 3 thing is just so symptomatic of the Stead era. We could've promoted Chapman to 3 to give him an opportunity, but they went for a Hail Mary in a guy who bats 8. A guy who's had a few gos at 3 and the only one that was successful was against the Netherlands 18 months ago - and in true Stead style, Santner batted 7 in the next game, then 3 in one game on the following tour to the Windies, then not again for a year, failed there v UAE, then only emerged there again last night 9 months later against a side with Cummins, Hazelwood and co in it. We know he can't play short quick bowling, Cummins did too.

We wouldn't have won last night with the batting order we had but we had no chance by the time Santner limped to 7 off 13 and Australia had all ascendancy. At least GP or Chapman could've tried to fire a shot.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Gp was 3(10)
Yep, he struggled early on no doubting that. I didn't say he could or would have dominated.

I'm just saying Santner batting 3 was a dead **** gamble completely without basis. We all know he struggles with pace, especially short pitched. So we promote him to 3 on a quick EP deck to face Cummins and Haze? It was a gamble, without any odds in favour of it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Dylan Cleaver wrote an interesting column midweek (he always is interesting, best sports writer in the country by miles) about Stead and how either disingenuous, nervous or clueless he is in interviews.

We all know the 'we shouldn't expect them to win all the time' BS. But he also said he wasn't aware of why Wagner pulled the finger and shooshed the dug out in the SA tests, and that he couldn't comment too much about Conway's health and eyes as the issue happened in Bangladesh when Stead wasn't there. This guy is the head coach. But he gives every impression of being asleep at the wheel