• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Although root's overall average under bazball is around 50, his average in the last 14 tests is 39.53 and that includes a 153 not out and 118 not out.

And excluding tests vs new zealand, his bazball average overall is 36 in 16 tests.
There you go. I wondered where the noise over him playing better under the new regime came from. I've seen a fair amount of it and it's always seemed like he's unusually hurried and finding ever more stupid ways of getting out.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
There you go. I wondered where the noise over him playing better under the new regime came from. I've seen a fair amount of it and it's always seemed like he's unusually hurried and finding ever more stupid ways of getting out.
Huh? He's averaging 51 under bazball, and in his 2 year "peak" before bazball he averaged 52. The average of top 7 players on both sides has increased from 32/33 during root's peak to 38 during bazball. So like, root's not really changed, at all in terms of output? Given the fact that other guys are averaging more, maybe you'de be validated in saying "ohh, he should be averaging 55", but like, he's not dropped off or anything.

Also, the last 14 test average has come at the same time he's gone off a cliff in ODI cricket, which baz has nothing to do with. I don't see how you can sit here and blame the new regime for ruining root's output, or whatever?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Although root's overall average under bazball is around 50, his average in the last 14 tests is 39.53 and that includes a 153 not out and 118 not out.

And excluding tests vs new zealand, his bazball average overall is 36 in 16 tests.
Although marsh's overall average under mcdonaldball is around around 50, his average in his last 14 tests is 31, and that includes a 118 and a 63* not out.

And excluding tests vs pakistan, his mcdonaldball average overall is 36 in 5 tests.

See, I can fudge numbers to make my point seem valid, too! Did you know that if you exclude the 100 not out's bradman made, he has a more realistic average??? Bloke was clearly a fraud!

White Ball

State 12th Man
From the Guardian

“Asked about a realistic target in the fourth innings, Duckett replied: “The more the better. This team is all about doing special things and creating history. They can have as many as they want and we’ll go and get them.”

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Silver Silva

International Debutant
From the Guardian

“Asked about a realistic target in the fourth innings, Duckett replied: “The more the better. This team is all about doing special things and creating history. They can have as many as they want and we’ll go and get them.”

Bazball is beginning to sound like a cult

Shri

Mr. Glass
I know some folks are piling into Duckett for this contribution, but I'm not sure exactly what they expected him to say. And the fact that he's publicly defending Root doesn't mean that Joe isn't giving himself a hearty kicking.
i mean the part where he talks about the night watchman lol

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I want to see two things tomorrow: a 500 run target which tbh I'm not optimistic about considering Jaiswal's back and the inexperienced middle order. And second, Rohit putting some thought into his fields like he did on Saturday and not give these guys easy boundaries, however big the target might be. At least cut out the swept boundaries on either side. Force them to find other options of attack and well done to them if they do.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
From the Guardian

The more the better 😂 That explains the batting on day 3

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Huh? He's averaging 51 under bazball, and in his 2 year "peak" before bazball he averaged 52. The average of top 7 players on both sides has increased from 32/33 during root's peak to 38 during bazball. So like, root's not really changed, at all in terms of output? Given the fact that other guys are averaging more, maybe you'de be validated in saying "ohh, he should be averaging 55", but like, he's not dropped off or anything.

Also, the last 14 test average has come at the same time he's gone off a cliff in ODI cricket, which baz has nothing to do with. I don't see how you can sit here and blame the new regime for ruining root's output, or whatever?
Not sure it works to bust down the other guy's argument while suggesting Root's ODI struggles are to blame for his Test form.

I suggest the 'new' setup and this approach is not quite ruining Joe Root but I don't think it's helped. I think he's costing himself run output at what should be the peak of his powers, and from reading the below article, a lot of England pundits agree

I almost fell off my chair laughing to see that Root's defence of the reverse scoop is that it's more productive than his forward defence and he gets out less. So clearly it's because he's a bit simple that he isn't quite seeing that it's a poor strategy. Or...maybe the rest of the top order batsmen in the world should be playing the new ball the other way around and backwards

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

I'm all for breaking down stats but can't for a second work out why you'd exclude NZ. Or not outs.