• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
Not impressed by England in the field so far, 3 of our best fielders root pope and stokes all
dropped catches, those 2 today could hav restricted india to about 370. Ducket before tea
was lucky not to get out, swinging at everything. different player afterwards, middled
everything, what did they give him? Despite that amazing innings england still far
behind, need to bat all day tomorrow and more, but thats not their way is it? Expect it
will be 10 man India batting at the end tomorrow and building a big lead not england.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah the difference with the concussion subs (and covid subs when that was relevant) is that the rules actually ban those players from choosing to play on. If you're gonna kick a player out mid-game, possibly against his wishes and when he hasn't actually done anything wrong, you probably have to allow a replacement.

If a player is just incapable or unwilling for whatever reason then them's the breaks.
Man, you could totally game the rules though. I'd say in this particular case it's England's decision.

Spark

Global Moderator
When a lot of people were bleating about how India needs to prepare flat pitches rather than turners I was thinking 'well England will just obliterate them'. India are on a hiding to nothing with player absences (seriously Kohli, again?) but 'prepare conditions England would like to bat in' seemed like a strange position take.
They should be 2-0 up here absent Axar forgetting how to catch. They've just been outplayed at times, which could have been even more likely on rank turners. What they want ideally is something like the Nagpur pitch last year. Indeed the previous game was a perfect template of how a batting-friendly pitch can work in India's favour.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Talk of a substitute is silly imo. We love test cricket because it's brutal, no different to all the times a team loses a player to injury or illness.
This is not why anyone loves test cricket. It's nonsense every time it's brought up imo.

Cricket shouldn't be any different to other team sports that allow subs. Ftr, I've always been in favour of it, not just saying it now for the Ashwin thing.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Very drunk right now. Still weighing up a 4am alarm. Up for 2nd session more likely. By which time I expect Duckett to be on 250 and Root 123. Fkn go on the Bazball warriors
I'm quite merry after several bottles of San Miguel (and still going). Not sure whether to stay up all night or go to bed and try and get up for 4 or miss the first session. Want to see Duckett press on but he could get out early.

Decisions decisions.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Even if Stokes and England said it was OK for a substitute, it would contravene the laws of the game and India could be penalised if they implemented a substitute. My best wishes goes out to Ashwin and his family, but the laws can't be changed mid-Test on compassionate grounds.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Any talk of replacement should be shelved and any decision taken out of Stokes' hands. India just need to get on with it.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even if Stokes and England said it was OK for a substitute, it would contravene the laws of the game and India could be penalised if they implemented a substitute. My best wishes goes out to Ashwin and his family, but the laws can't be changed mid-Test on compassionate grounds.
Jonny Bairstow disagrees with you.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very drunk right now. Still weighing up a 4am alarm. Up for 2nd session more likely. By which time I expect Duckett to be on 250 and Root 123. Fkn go on the Bazball warriors
I'll be slaying at 4am...will way up to see the commencement of the 3rd day though. 11 pm my time

Andyhere

International 12th Man
Praying for speedy recovery for Ashwin's mother. Nothing more important than family, specifically parents.
As far as the game, the laws are the laws can't be bent or allow exception for one off situation.
Opportunity for others to put their hand up and bring their best out. Fortunately for India they went with kuldeep and not axar. Had it been axar they would've been stuck with two same types of bowler.
India still over 200 ahead, no panic needed.