• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
Terrible news for Ashwin. What a rollercoaster for the man.

Stokes should absolutely allow a replacement to come in. No idea what the rules are but it would feel very strange winning because of this.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
A concussion is an event that occurs and is evaluated by officials within the confines of the game in progress, so there's a legitimate case for the sub on purely cricketing grounds. Ashwin's situation, sad as it is, is markedly different and while Stokes leaning on the ICC/match ref would be an act of some symbolism and altruism, I don't see how the ICC can make a permanent ruling on the subject going forward.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Terrible news for Ashwin. What a rollercoaster for the man.

Stokes should absolutely allow a replacement to come in. No idea what the rules are but it would feel very strange winning because of this.
Stokes would. I'm not sure if it can actually be done, but I have no doubt he'd see the situation and allow India to replace Ashwin, if it were able to be done within the rules.

Of course, that would be a tough pill to swallow for those who still **** on about his past.

Molehill

International Captain
I don’t see any replacement being allowed, it would create an awkward precedent that could be used incorrectly in the future.

Even if Stokes wanted to, just don’t see it being an option (and probably rightly so).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When a lot of people were bleating about how India needs to prepare flat pitches rather than turners I was thinking 'well England will just obliterate them'. India are on a hiding to nothing with player absences (seriously Kohli, again?) but 'prepare conditions England would like to bat in' seemed like a strange position take.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I think if he has to be replaced it will be Washy. But its a moot point as I dunno if they will let it happen. Best wishes and prayers with Ash and his family. Hope things can turn out ok.

Anyways this game is done now, IMO. Congrats England.
will it even be an official test match if that happens?

also hope everything is okay with him

Shri

Mr. Glass
its not like test matches have never been played with 10 on one side before because of injuries. we should treat this like an injury and just carry on

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sad for a player to have to leave a Test match under these circumstances, it would seem entirely fair for a full replacement to be allowed. Would be a great & historic gesture if England allowed it. I know the rules say no, but perhaps it is time that full replacements were allowed under certain conditions? Are there any other team games who do not allow this?

hazsa19

International Regular
Very sad for Ashwin and his family.

Talk of a substitute is silly imo. We love test cricket because it's brutal, no different to all the times a team loses a player to injury or illness. Ftr I think the concussion rule is silly too.

Anyway this game is by no means done even without Ashwin.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Best wishes for Ashwin and his family. England will post 550+ by end of day 3, extend it to 600 or thereabouts early on Day 4. We will fold for around 200 in our 2nd stint. England will knock off the target in 10 overs or so. The game will end late on the 4th day or early on the 5th.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
India never allowed a replacement for Bavuma when his hammy went pop so why should we allow one now? It's tragic but it happens.
Yeah the difference with the concussion subs (and covid subs when that was relevant) is that the rules actually ban those players from choosing to play on. If you're gonna kick a player out mid-game, possibly against his wishes and when he hasn't actually done anything wrong, you probably have to allow a replacement.

If a player is just incapable or unwilling for whatever reason then them's the breaks.