• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

jcas0167

International Debutant
Good wicket for 18yr old Schreuder, bowling Dale Phillips. Otago seem to be having quite a good Ford Trophy campaign.

Was hoping Taylor Bettelheim (@Howsie rates him I believe) might get a game for CD after doing well in the early season A side games. Not sure if he's injured as he didn't feature for Hawkes Bay in their Hawke Cup game. CD batting could do with a change.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I love Fisher's explosive action but right now I just hope he plays near-every match for ND for the rest of the season. He's 24 but has only played half the domestic cricket in all formats that Sears has, even when Sears is pretty injury-prone himself. Only 7 FC matches (25 wickets), 18 List A and 19 T20. Though it's not all injury-related - ND seemed to make him 12th man quite often for a while.

Could see him getting pigeon-holed in white-ball cricket, but hope he can be strong and fit enough to play all formats.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
I love Fisher's explosive action but right now I just hope he plays near-every match for ND for the rest of the season. He's 24 but has only played half the domestic cricket in all formats that Sears has, even when Sears is pretty injury-prone himself. Only 7 FC matches (25 wickets), 18 List A and 19 T20. Though it's not all injury-related - ND seemed to make him 12th man quite often for a while.

Could see him getting pigeon-holed in white-ball cricket, but hope he can be strong and fit enough to play all formats.
From memory he was on that A tour to India in 2022, where he took 4-fer at Chinnaswamy in one of the FC games & took 3w during the One-Dayers in Chennai.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Yeah, you're right. He's got to stay on the field before we seriously consider him.

But for me, he needs to be invested in as a special project for Test cricket. **** ODI cricket, he won't have relevance between 4-year cycles when we don't bother to schedule many of them and guys like him are less effective in T20 when batsmen aren't forced to stay side on and play him conventionally (unless you're England) plus again, who cares. I like Adam Milne but Fisher should be aiming for a greater legacy than Milne leaves, with a bunch of games but a pretty unmemorable international career.

Wood showing again in India what skiddy pace does, and Fisher did very well over there on the A tour.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, you're right. He's got to stay on the field before we seriously consider him.

But for me, he needs to be invested in as a special project for Test cricket. **** ODI cricket, he won't have relevance between 4-year cycles when we don't bother to schedule many of them and guys like him are less effective in T20 when batsmen aren't forced to stay side on and play him conventionally (unless you're England) plus again, who cares. I like Adam Milne but Fisher should be aiming for a greater legacy than Milne leaves, with a bunch of games but a pretty unmemorable international career.

Wood showing again in India what skiddy pace does, and Fisher did very well over there on the A tour.
This sounds dangerously ambitious. Remember that we're widdle kiwis and we're stoked just to be here /Stead

Flem274*

123/5
Just thinking on our openers, we don't have many options. Also in a defence for Latham, he is as much a makeshift opener as Conway and Young. People forget he started at #5 for Canterbury and moved up (along with several others at the time) because the Fulton/Rutherford partnership was a more obvious way to break into test cricket than trying to displace Williamson/Taylor/McCullum. I guess it's no surprise then his better opening performances against strong attacks have come in Asia.

Anyway, in the last Shield round we had (age/average):

Sean Solia: 31y ave 32 (allrounder tbf, but having seen him bat, definitely a test #6/7)
Will O'Donnell: 26y ave 36

Henry Cooper: 30y ave 34
Jeet Raval: 35y ave 37

Jack Boyle: 27y ave 22
Curtis Heaphy: 20y ave 25

Nick Greenwood: 24y ave 28
Callum McLachlan: 24y ave 25 (harsh to make the keeper open)

Chad Bowes: 31y ave 28
Matthew Boyle: 21y ave 26

Jacob Cumming: 20y ave 23
Jamal Todd: 19y ave 23

So yeah, the 4 people in the test side who have opened in test or FC (Latham, Conway, Ravindra, Young) crush those guys. That's probably the least experienced set of openers I've ever seen. Interestingly the following have all opened in FC a fair amount but did not last round:

George Worker: 34y ave 29 batted at #5
Greg Hay: 39y ave 41 batted at #3
Cole McConchie: 32y ave 37

I'm giving young guys like Severin and Foulkes who have opened a free pass for obv reasons.

Honestly, if someone is to be picked from FC, I'm not even waving the CD flag this time, but it's 39 year old Hay in an emergency. He is head and shoulders above this lot. I'd say even asking a dominant middle order bat to open and bosh like Phillips or Bruce is a better option than the 12 players who opened last Shield round.

This crisis also puts the top wicket takers in context. Everyone's batting starts at #3.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Anyway, in the last Shield round we had (age/average):

Sean Solia: 31y ave 32 (allrounder tbf, but having seen him bat, definitely a test #6/7)
Will O'Donnell: 26y ave 36

Henry Cooper: 30y ave 34
Jeet Raval: 35y ave 37

Jack Boyle: 27y ave 22
Curtis Heaphy: 20y ave 25

Nick Greenwood: 24y ave 28
Callum McLachlan: 24y ave 25 (harsh to make the keeper open)

Chad Bowes: 31y ave 28
Matthew Boyle: 21y ave 26

Jacob Cumming: 20y ave 23
Jamal Todd: 19y ave 23

So yeah, the 4 people in the test side who have opened in test or FC (Latham, Conway, Ravindra, Young) crush those guys. That's probably the least experienced set of openers I've ever seen. Interestingly the following have all opened in FC a fair amount but did not last round:

George Worker: 34y ave 29 batted at #5
Greg Hay: 39y ave 41 batted at #3
Cole McConchie: 32y ave 37
Jeepers. Stats laid bare.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Would take an injury to make it happen, but Raval certainly has put the numbers on the board since his demotion. Full credit to him, he could've easily decided to retire after Conway stepped up, and as much as we may moan about old dogs in domestic cricket, guys like him help to keep the standard of nz domestics up.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Looking up Josh Brown who batted 5 for NDA against Wellington A and scored a relatively fast hundred. Of course all the results come up for the Brisbane Heat opener who makes his own bats. 🤦‍♂️ It looks like he is 23, born SA and played for ND in that game a couple of years ago when most of the side were out with Covid. Riley McCullum is batting down at 7 in that game.
Looks like ND have handed him a List A debut for today's game against Canterbury @Howsie

Flem274*

123/5
Would take an injury to make it happen, but Raval certainly has put the numbers on the board since his demotion. Full credit to him, he could've easily decided to retire after Conway stepped up, and as much as we may moan about old dogs in domestic cricket, guys like him help to keep the standard of nz domestics up.
Has he? I saw the 37 average down from 40+ and assumed he'd collapsed in form.

And yeah, guys like Raval are valuable to keep the company strong. We've lost a lot of openers and it shows.