• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
My worry about Foulkes is that I don't trust big hooping inswing necessarily translates to international level (except against left handers I guess). Not unless you're Waqar Younis anyway. It's his main weapon and I love seeing stumps flying, but I'm not picturing international batsmen getting bowled between bat and pad like that so easily (except a few like Bairstow). There's a reason most fast bowlers look first for movement away rather than in. Also there's the question whether he can get that much late swing with other cricket balls in different conditions, and with an older ball.

He's still an awesome prospect, not trying to pour cold water on him. The inswing is fun when it works and he's taken wickets with an energetic surprise bouncer too. And if he can eventually bat to an international top 6-7 level then that changes everything, could be a top-tier NZ all-rounder.
Yep, that's fair. I haven't seen enough of him bowl to know whether he has one that holds its line/goes the other way etc.

But as you said, he's dangerous against LHers and most sides have a few nowadays. If he can add a few kms and get up to 140, and ensure he has at least a ball that holds its line to a RH, he'll have enough tools. He strikes me as a guy who can hurry batsmen up at 140 - as I said, there are bowlers who hit high numbers on a speed gun but don't hurry people up (Sears) or ones who aren't as tall or register big numbers, but just feel quicker when you're facing them (peak Wagner, Shamar Joseph). I think Foulkes can be that.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Looking up Josh Brown who batted 5 for NDA against Wellington A and scored a relatively fast hundred. Of course all the results come up for the Brisbane Heat opener who makes his own bats. 🤦‍♂️ It looks like he is 23, born SA and played for ND in that game a couple of years ago when most of the side were out with Covid. Riley McCullum is batting down at 7 in that game.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
There was a Brown who moved from Auckland to ND a few years ago, was a seam bowler. Is it same guy? Can't remember his first name though.

Edit. No, that was Jamie Brown

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Looking up Josh Brown who batted 5 for NDA against Wellington A and scored a relatively fast hundred. Of course all the results come up for the Brisbane Heat opener who makes his own bats. 🤦‍♂️ It looks like he is 23, born SA and played for ND in that game a couple of years ago when most of the side were out with Covid. Riley McCullum is batting down at 7 in that game.
Bowler not currently able to bowl at the moment though. Good to see his batting come along as far as it has

ataraxia

International Coach

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Bocock out with illness according to ND Twitter – being in Queenstown, hard to fly down a replacement.
That would also explain why Bocock was playing Day 1 of the ND A vs. Wellington A game, but didn't bat. Although, as that game's still on, it's still a bit odd that he was playing on Day 1 actually.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Greenwood off to a decent start. They've persisted with him for a while so hopefully he can convert it.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
There's a bit of oooooh multisport oooh rugby and cricket oooh with Jock McKenzie but, he does look like a good bowler and I like his action.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sam Mycock having a pretty useful game for Wellington A (here come the mockers). Another Hutt Hawks alumnus. Dual UK/NZ passport holder, so he's played a bit of club cricket in the UK too. Already 23 years old.