• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I've always liked his attitude, but he struggles to deliver consistent results.
Yeah there's a reason his econ rate in all formats is awful. Is having a good season though.

Otago right on top now after 2 wickets in the over for Georgeson. They do things differently down there - the 10&11 score the runs and the opening batsman takes the wickets.

ataraxia

International Coach
Damn what a choke.

Hazeldine's shown some whacking ability with bat for Otago A, nice to see him do the same a level up.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Cool to see 18 yr old Schrueder get a wicket on debut for ND.
Yes good to see a young left armer. It looks like he really muscles the ball down looking for pace.

Also great to see Foulkes score some runs for a change, before disposing of another batsman with a booming inswinger.

Saw a bit a N Smith score 37 for Wellington but don't think he's the most natural bosher. Reasonable defense, hope he scores more FC runs.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There should be a thread for ***y Zac Foulkes bowled dismissals. Got Seifert with a gem in the latest game, Solia at EPOO the other day and there was an absolute ***y beast of one to a LHer in the Super Smash, I forget who. Geez he's fun to watch bowl

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There should be a thread for ***y Zac Foulkes bowled dismissals. Got Seifert with a gem in the latest game, Solia at EPOO the other day and there was an absolute ***y beast of one to a LHer in the Super Smash, I forget who. Geez he's fun to watch bowl
I worry about Zac Foulkes. I'm not sure any player has had so much of the CW-NZ Cricket Community rating them and thinking they go well. What pressure on the lad!

EDIT: I see Mitch Renwick is now turning out for Wellington A. He's been round the houses a bit but now he's turned 30 he's coming into the ideal NZ selectorial age bracket. I also notice that both him and Bhula had some 2nd XI experience in the UK - looks like Bhula went pretty well for Warwickshire 2nds.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
My worry about Foulkes is that I don't trust big hooping inswing necessarily translates to international level (except against left handers I guess). Not unless you're Waqar Younis anyway. It's his main weapon and I love seeing stumps flying, but I'm not picturing international batsmen getting bowled between bat and pad like that so easily (except a few like Bairstow). There's a reason most fast bowlers look first for movement away rather than in. Also there's the question whether he can get that much late swing with other cricket balls in different conditions, and with an older ball.

He's still an awesome prospect, not trying to pour cold water on him. The inswing is fun when it works and he's taken wickets with an energetic surprise bouncer too. And if he can eventually bat to an international top 6-7 level then that changes everything, could be a top-tier NZ all-rounder.

Flem274*

123/5
My worry about Foulkes is that I don't trust big hooping inswing necessarily translates to international level (except against left handers I guess). Not unless you're Waqar Younis anyway. It's his main weapon and I love seeing stumps flying, but I'm not picturing international batsmen getting bowled between bat and pad like that so easily (except a few like Bairstow). There's a reason most fast bowlers look first for movement away rather than in. Also there's the question whether he can get that much late swing with other cricket balls in different conditions, and with an older ball.

He's still an awesome prospect, not trying to pour cold water on him. The inswing is fun when it works and he's taken wickets with an energetic surprise bouncer too. And if he can eventually bat to an international top 6-7 level then that changes everything, could be a top-tier NZ all-rounder.
This is my thought too. The medium pace hopping inswing is extremely funny but I see it as more partnership breaker/hometown Asian bully/emergency new ball bowler like Lord Colin than as a full time test pacer.

But if he cam bat 7 or higher and average 30+ then he's a test cricketer in waiting. He doesn't seem to be a natural bosher and more an organized player like Abbas and Smith.

Flem274*

123/5
I actually forgot he existed in my 2027 NZ side. Very badly timed injury for Shipley, now overtaken by O'Rourke and needs to perform immediately to ensure he's still in the picture.
Canterbury's best side arguably drops both Sodhi and Rippon to rely on McConchie as the #6 allrounder offie. Or Rippon at #7 with Mitchell Hay at #6.

That's a real nuisance for Sodhi who looked to be on the up after the Pakistan test tour not long ago.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Canterbury's side is stacked at the moment - contributing half a dozen NZ players and still have a very good side if you take those out.