• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If he keeps playing the way he has for the last two years then his average will go down seems a false perception to me when his average has gone up playing that way.
It's not though. It's just a prediction you might not agree with. It's still a relatively small sample size (especially compared to his entire career which you're comparing it to), and you of anyone should know about the seen and the unseen. Root just batting like Root but also in his peak, without the burden of captaincy, in a winning side and without having to come in at 20/2 all the time might have scored even more runs.

It'd be a false perception to say it's already going down. Saying it'll go down later as a result of how he's playing is just a prediction. It might not come true but it's not the same thing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's not though. It's just a prediction you might not agree with. It's still a relatively small sample size (especially compared to his entire career which you're comparing it to), and you of anyone should know about the seen and the unseen. Root just batting like Root but also in his peak, without the burden of captaincy, in a winning side and without having to come in at 20/2 all the time might have scored even more runs.

It's be a false perception to say it's already going down. Saying it'll go down later as a result of how he's playing is just a prediction. It might not come too but it's not the same thing.
Fine, I accept your point, but my original ‘people always say this’ was as much as anything a response to the general perception of Root having a poor record under Stokes, which does come up a lot.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean obviously he batted like a lunatic today but I think it’s a bit overstated how differently he’s batted anyway.
The worst of this was the Pakistan series where he decided to bat left handed. He failed there too.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular

It'd be a false perception to say it's already going down. Saying it'll go down later as a result of how he's playing is just a prediction. It might not come true but it's not the same thing.
There’s no way he averages 25 on a tour to Pakistan pre Bazball IMO

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Looks like I've woken up to disaster.

To be fair it was always going to be a tough task getting 400.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like I've woken up to disaster.

To be fair it was always going to be a tough task getting 400.
Meh, this one was effectively won and lost in the first innings due to two outstanding performances from Jaiswal and Bumrah.

EDIT
But a run-out is ridiculous, of course.