• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

SeamUp

International Coach
Moreki has impressed me more than Olivier. We have discussed it already but it's strange seeing a guy who ran through sides bowling 145+ about 5 years ago not being able to bowl mid 130s.
He has in little periods but when you've played 90 FC games, averaging 38 and never taken a 5-for, that is shouldn't be near this level.

It's just whether you trust Olivier's experience or not too lead the group I guess. Also very doubtful.

Paterson is what I expected. Nothing great but disciplined.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve would hate that so much :laugh:
Haha, I'm not sure I would now - there's no other spot for him in the side. If he comes in now, I think NZT is right. You want to keep these guys in their spots. This should be our top 7 going forward. If there's an injury/omission in the top 3 it's probably Young, 4-6 is Nicholls is probably how they look at it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Conway still has a lot of credits in the bank, I can't see him being dropped any time soon but his recent form is a worry.

He really needs a good score in this test series to get some confidence back before the test series against Australia which will be a much tougher test.

I would rather stick with him though even in a form trough than going back to Nicholls or Young who aren't at Conway's level when he's in good form,
I agree, it is really worrying though. He hasn't passed 50 since the England World Cup opener on Oct 5. 4 months without a half century for a guy of his class, really shows up.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Conway should be 'dropped'. And invited back in with open arms after he gets his MOJO back. Probably after an off-season (lol, like he'll get one of those).

Will Young will be opening by the 2nd test of the Aussie series, after having been 12th man for the previous 6 weeks playing zero cricket of any format or level. So, let's just be kind to both of them and do it now. Not in mid-March.

I'd say , at least, Conway 's knock today was at least an improvement on his previous innings. Where he was out caught at mid-off charging and almost management to get out hit-wicket off the same ball. Despite his interception point being about 4m down the wicket. Surely even blind men knew at that stage that this man is cooked.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I mean he does look absolutely cooked. I thought that when he got caught in the Pakistan T20s (Dunedin, I think - hey, I remembered a T20I!) and lost both hands off the bat. That for me was hell, this guy is in meltdown.

As I said in an earlier post, therefore I agree with Immenso, it isn't going to get better. Being human, he's going to be holding some mojo and some energy back (subconsciously, if anything) for the IPL. That's what puts the best quality biltong on his table. I'd be incredibly surprised if he makes a score this summer. If he doesn't in this series, Starc/Cummins/Haze and co will have him on toast. He really shouldn't play the T20s against them.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only good result for cricket is an NZ innings win inside 3 days. #Punish this farcical team. Hopefully that leads to some bad publicity for CSA. Also, these runs don't count obviously.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Call it a JAMTest as just 'rotate' the poor man.

Playing him is just damaging a priceless asset.

Royal 'we' shouldn't be so precious about rotating a (protected species) batsman, in a funk, temporarily out of a test 11.

ataraxia

International Coach
Conway's failures this season have been immensely frustrating, but I think a little more faith should be shown in him. He had a decent break after the Bangladesh tests and if he needs a break then he's getting one in the winter anyway (if you class endless T20s as such).

Worth being cautious judging him after only 6 failures this year, and I'm not sure his dismissals have been too horrible. Time in the middle can be as effective as a break in turning around form.

SeamUp

International Coach
From what I gather, CSA need the cash. They'll call a 2-0 loss in return for some T20 money a fair trade. That's why they sent this team.
It's **** but it is what it is. I mean 2 tests series arranged are already a kick in the teeth to the game that is Test cricket. Way too much disrespect from the top to begin with. Cricket boards outside the top 3 are fighting to survive financially and it's been made even worse by the incompetence that was running CSA for years.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
From what I gather, CSA need the cash. They'll call a 2-0 loss in return for some T20 money a fair trade. That's why they sent this team.
No, they just ****ed up the scheduling. They were contractually bound to make centrally contracted players available for the franchise comp, so they tried to move the Test but NZ couldn't accommodate the change.

They didn't just think "we have a Test then but who cares we'll just send a horrible side and make money lol"- they just double booked themselves and then realised too late. I think some of the reactions have leaned in too much to it being a disgrace and setting a horrible precedent or whatever when I'm pretty sure it was just an admin **** up that they couldn't fix. It still sucks but it's not deliberate.

SeamUp

International Coach
No, they just ****ed up the scheduling. They were contractually bound to make centrally contracted players available for the franchise comp, so they tried to move the Test but NZ couldn't accommodate the change.

They didn't just think "we have a Test then but who cares we'll just send a horrible side and make money lol"- they just double booked themselves and then realised too late. I think some of the reactions have leaned in too much to it being a disgrace and setting a horrible precedent or whatever when I'm pretty sure it was just an admin **** up that they couldn't fix. It still sucks but it's not deliberate.
Absolutely this but it's still ****. 😔

I guess the question marks more come with playing T20 cricket in peak summer and less tests arranged due to ICC/FTP that grates me most.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I'm pretty sure it was just an admin **** up that they couldn't fix.
Shukri Conrad was quoted as saying there was a ****-up with the scheduling, so very much this.

EDIT: The censored word began with c rather than f, which is a more acceptable way to phrase it to the media.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Shukri Conrad was quoted as saying there was a ****-up with the scheduling, so very much this.
There is no other time they can fit the SA20 in. We rushed a little 2 test series in Vs India.

New Zealand are playing Australia after this so even with the scheduling it might never have been worked around.

So without blaming anybody it's the way cricket is going outside the big financial 3.

We used to play 5 test series against England. We lucky if we getting 3 now.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The only good result for cricket is an NZ innings win inside 3 days. #Punish this farcical team. Hopefully that leads to some bad publicity for CSA. Also, these runs don't count obviously.
We probably won't win within 3 days, because we'll bat half of tomorrow. But I reckon we'll run through their batting order reasonably comfortably. Their bowling has been tidy, and hard to adjust to, but I think KJ and Henry in particular will have them on toast.

SeamUp

International Coach
We probably won't win within 3 days, because we'll bat half of tomorrow. But I reckon we'll run through their batting order reasonably comfortably. Their bowling has been tidy, and hard to adjust to, but I think KJ and Henry in particular will have them on toast.
Obviously tough to throw in so much inexperience at test level together in the batting but I wouldn't disrespect this batting unit of ours. There are guys capable in there.