• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Mike5181

International Captain
Couldn't they have called up someone like Kyle Abbott, or is he too much of a fossil at this point.

Flem274*

123/5
They have to bowl so many overs on the county circuit that you kind of have to cut pace if you want to be available more than 50% of the time as a seamer, and the conditions do allow for bowling like this to still be as effective as what he was bowling before he left. English PONIs who are quick are rested a lot but ring-in pros who live and die based on what their county will pay them are very much incentivised to Olivierise themselves.

Same thing happened to Kyle Jarvis.
Maybe we don't give Matt Henry's survival as a test prospect enough credit given this.

Cracks me up when I remember David Loyd hyped him as rapid based on his County contacts but he had just been bowling his usual 135-140kph outswingers in the land of Jesse Ryder, opening bowler.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
That wagon wheel, with video of the boundaries embedded, Is really cool!

Good addition to broadcasting tech. Not just a gimmick.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Great to see Rachin score his debut test ton, probably the only Kiwi that didn't enjoy seeing it was Nicholls, it may have shut the door on his test career.
Idk I could see stead doing something daft like resting/dropping Conway and getting rachin to open so Nicholls can come back in

Though realistically, given the "luck" of his career, Will Young will be brought in to open vs Aus where both he and Latham will do poorly but they'll retain Latham for the next overseas series and bring Conway back.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Hmmmm I think Piedt needed to play. Yeah he moved to the US but he is a better bowler than Brand,de Swart and Moreki IMHO. Was never going to get more Tests with Keshav in the side.

SeamUp

International Coach
Couldn't they have called up someone like Kyle Abbott, or is he too much of a fossil at this point.
Signed twice for the SA20 and said a big FU too both. The only one doing that whereas Ingram, Vilas, Harmer etc all playing.

SeamUp

International Coach
Hmmmm I think Piedt needed to play. Yeah he moved to the US but he is a better bowler than Brand,de Swart and Moreki IMHO. Was never going to get more Tests with Keshav in the side.
I think so too but that is me thinking of what he was like at his best and let's be honest, it could be far off that. De Swardt probably warranting his selection with his discipline (2 dropped catches) & batting ability.

Probably had to be Moreki or Olivier. Olivier just so meh and Moreki is 30 and always been meh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He cleaned up with eleven wickets in his last FC game against WI A (I think he was actually selected looking towards this tour) which did make me think they'd pick him.

Batting allrounder at 7 and keeper at 8 was unnecessary stacked IMO, even if promisingly the exact opposite of the old "Jansen at 7" plan which I hated so much.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Moreki has impressed me more than Olivier. We have discussed it already but it's strange seeing a guy who ran through sides bowling 145+ about 5 years ago not being able to bowl mid 130s.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Another part of Kane's genius, knowing the longer he batted, the more he denied these guys, the more defeated they'd be and offer more to score off. Another one that isn't in Kane's top shelf, but classy as hell nonetheless (apart from the brainfart he was dropped off)

King Kane

International Debutant
I wonder how many SA cricket fans got up early to watch this test.

I can't imagine there would be much enthusiasm there for this test series watching a second or third string SA test line up getting flogged.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Will Young too. Might have hoped for a chance at 4 next match but it's gone now.
Yep, him and Nicholls have had enough chances and not taken them. All hail our new #4 overlord, Rachin.

Wonder if Conway really continues to stink it up, and Latham for that matter, as to where they'd go. Rachin to open? Highest run scorer in the Plunket is Sean Solia, and I wouldn't be going down that path. Probably won't happen, but just a thought

NZTailender

Yep, him and Nicholls have had enough chances and not taken them. All hail our new #4 overlord, Rachin.

Wonder if Conway really continues to stink it up, and Latham for that matter, as to where they'd go. Rachin to open? Highest run scorer in the Plunket is Sean Solia, and I wouldn't be going down that path. Probably won't happen, but just a thought
Young to open, surely. Not his natural position but he continues to be the first choice reserve batsman it seems.

NZTailender

Another part of Kane's genius, knowing the longer he batted, the more he denied these guys, the more defeated they'd be and offer more to score off. Another one that isn't in Kane's top shelf, but classy as hell nonetheless (apart from the brainfart he was dropped off)
He'll get out first ball now that I post this but reckon tomorrow will be a good time to bring up his maiden triple century.

King Kane

International Debutant

Conway still has a lot of credits in the bank, I can't see him being dropped any time soon but his recent form is a worry.

He really needs a good score in this test series to get some confidence back before the test series against Australia which will be a much tougher test.

I would rather stick with him though even in a form trough than going back to Nicholls or Young who aren't at Conway's level when he's in good form,