• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not sure it really changed that much at all. At the start, England just Bazballed themselves to 250. It wasn't an overly intelligent innings, a typical first effort on Tour by this lot to be honest. By Day 4, the tail still added over 100 in the morning before India were then bowled out.

Seemed like the perfect pitch for India to show they had better spinners and batting know how, and that's exactly what happened for 2 and a half days. Then Pope did his thing, it added some pressure, and we know what happens when you apply pressure to Indian batsmen....
No it absolutely did change lol. The pitch was bouncing almost to Australian pitch levels at times on the first day, it was really something to see. But by Day 4 every other ball seemed to be going about shin height, no matter what length it was bowled.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
this but without the spongebob case

I also don't even think it's "lack of prioritisation of Test cricket", I think it's reasonable to assume they take playing Test cricket for India extremely seriously. I think it's more likely that they've all been infected by a severe case of Chappellism: "play your natural game, no matter what it is and no matter the situation/pitch"
These multi format batsmen have it harder than most others too. They hardly ever play any actual FC cricket in India where their games can improve and they can sort out their technique.

Spark

Global Moderator
These multi format batsmen have it harder than most others too. They hardly ever play any actual FC cricket in India where their games can improve and they can sort out their technique.
Yeah a lot of them seem extremely one tempo. Test batting is all about adapting to the situation, which is kind of what they don't really do. But that has absolutely nothing to do with "not caring about Test cricket", I really don't think that's true at all.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I'm not sure it really changed that much at all. At the start, England just Bazballed themselves to 250. It wasn't an overly intelligent innings, a typical first effort on Tour by this lot to be honest. By Day 4, the tail still added over 100 in the morning before India were then bowled out.

Seemed like the perfect pitch for India to show they had better spinners and batting know how, and that's exactly what happened for 2 and a half days. Then Pope did his thing, it added some pressure, and we know what happens when you apply pressure to Indian batsmen....
Well 4th innings runs are the hardest to get statistically in Test cricket ..

India messed up in their 1st innings, they threw a lot of runs away, it doesn't matter what approach you use, once you get in you don't give it away.They should have gotten 500+.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know Patidar has been drafted into the squad and has made runs against the Lions recently, but has anyone seen him bat properly? Doesn’t have the greatest FC record.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He has made Ranji finals 100s though. Think he will be fine. Did well in his first IPL KO game too where uncapped players often never perform. Him and Rutu are two guys I would back under pressure.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I know Patidar has been drafted into the squad and has made runs against the Lions recently, but has anyone seen him bat properly? Doesn’t have the greatest FC record.
wasnt good earlier in his career but has made runs recently which is why his FC record doesn’t look as strong

Molehill

International Captain
No it absolutely did change lol. The pitch was bouncing almost to Australian pitch levels at times on the first day, it was really something to see. But by Day 4 every other ball seemed to be going about shin height, no matter what length it was bowled.
There may have been a slight difference in bounce (I didn't see the Aussie levels, although the one lbw from Hartley which was bouncing over on Hawkeye seemed questionable), but I don't think it ever changed that much in how easy it was to score runs. England's run rate was half a run quicker in their second dig. But India got tied up in knots in the 4th innings, run rate dropped below 3 which ultimately did for them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He has made Ranji finals 100s though. Think he will be fine. Did well in his first IPL KO game too where uncapped players often never perform. Him and Rutu are two guys I would back under pressure.
Back to back hundreds against England A in his last two games really makes a massive statement too. His selection for those games was kinda questionable due to Daemon's valid point, but once you're there and do that you deserve to be considered as a possible next cab off the rank.

Lol @ still no Sarfaraz though. Would probably be useful for him to average above like 7 for India A though.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
To be clear, I still think England have a severe task in getting a result in this series, and there is no way that there will be a drawn test given the way that they play, but I really wouldn't be surprised if England do nick one more test.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah a lot of them seem extremely one tempo. Test batting is all about adapting to the situation, which is kind of what they don't really do. But that has absolutely nothing to do with "not caring about Test cricket", I really don't think that's true at all.
For this reason (adaptability), FC domestic cricket is usually only highly valuable Test prep if it involves playing in multiple competitions in multiple nations. I strongly doubt 'get them playing Ranji' substantially improves the Indian batting lineup. If they were playing Shield, CC and Ranji that's a different story entirely.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't really think the India bats really need enormous help against these spinners though. Guys like Gill, Rahul and Iyer should be basically fine even if they're a step below Pujara/Kohli from 4 years ago. India were pretty unfortunate to lose the toss and come up against the performance of Ollie Pope's life, and then made their problems worse with shoddy fielding.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
For this reason (adaptability), FC domestic cricket is usually only highly valuable Test prep if it involves playing in multiple competitions in multiple nations. I strongly doubt 'get them playing Ranji' substantially improves the Indian batting lineup. If they were playing Shield, CC and Ranji that's a different story entirely.
I dont think playing in India will help them become better batsmen per se in SENA or anything. But if they do play more FC, they can defintiely become better batsmen in India, which we are severely lacking right now with Pant and Virat out.

Heboric

International Debutant
Is there any legimate highlights (ie not from some overzealous fan who would use the words 'shock' or 'insane' in the title) floating around of day 4, even Stupidsport hasnt posted any yet

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Is there any legimate highlights (ie not from some overzealous fan who would use the words 'shock' or 'insane' in the title) floating around of day 4, even Stupidsport hasnt posted any yet
I don't know if you meant longer than these 8 minutes, but here you are.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bumrah with more of a punishment for bumping into Pope than Stokes ever got for almost killing two guys