• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Incredible win. Sets up a fascinating series too. I heard that Jadeja is injured, can anyone confirm?

For England, do they stick with rehan/wood next test?

For indian fans, what pitches should we expect now? Bunsens, roads?
Heard Jadeja might have a hamstring injury.

Chances are the next 4 tests will be played on raging bunsens.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol @ the overreaction here. England were awesome and I am always a fan of Bazball but trust me, the biggest threat for Bazball is themselves. They may just go overboard with this like they did in the Ashes and shoot themselves in the foot. As long as they retain some sense around this, and for some reason your media is waaaaaaay worse than ours - so it wont be easy, they are in with a great chance of winning this series and doing something special. Our side and esp. our captain and possibly our management are all cooked from the WC. They may still do well but they are really not reacting well when put under pressure. That should be enough for most good teams to win here. But somehow we keep winning series, esp. without Pant, by just being slightly better for long enough.

Hope Gill and Shreyas are binned next test though. If Jaddu is out, they may pick Washy as the like for like replacement and I dont see Siraj starting the next test. So fully expect Kuldeep and Washy to come in for those 2 and maybe Pattidar for Gill. They may not drop Shreyas yet, but I would.

subshakerz

International Coach
Safe to say Root and Hartley outbowled our big boys. Our batting's not upto snuff on dustbowls for it to be anything but a lottery and if you're relying on gambles at home, you deserve to lose!
This was a mild spinning pitch by current standards yet even this showed how average spinners can appear worldclass.

Hence why I suggest not to go by surface reading Ashwin and Jadejas records. They aren't that great as their numbers

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This was a mild spinning pitch by current standards yet even this showed how average spinners can appear worldclass.

Hence why I suggest not to go by surface reading Ashwin and Jadejas records. They aren't that great as their numbers
You should actually watch cricket before commenting on it though. And dont stink up yet another India thread with your drivel. You have made your stupid ass, biased idiotic and false point. Move on.

subshakerz

International Coach
Lol @ the overreaction here. England were awesome and I am always a fan of Bazball but trust me, the biggest threat for Bazball is themselves. They may just go overboard with this like they did in the Ashes and shoot themselves in the foot.
This point gets repeated but always misses the point. The only reason England were in the position to get on top in the Ashes and make the strategic BazBall mistakes is because of BazBall itself. Asking them to reign it in is effectively neutering BazBall, the philosophy of which is how to win tests in the shortest time possible.

You have to accept some oddball decisions with the brilliant ones. I don't think they should have gone for the follow-on in the 2nd NZ test but it was line with the philosophy.

subshakerz

International Coach
You should actually watch cricket before commenting on it though. And dont stink up yet another India thread with your drivel. You have made your stupid ass, biased idiotic and false point. Move on.
I will keep pounding this point because some posters here like to ignore the bleeding obvious.

Socerer 01

International Captain

this is going to look incredibly stupid when Hartley retires as England’s highest wicket taker and Root does a reverse Steve Smith career arc

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain

I know i may be speaking out my arse, but possibly Hartley is just a good bowler?

Its not like county spinners haven't toured india before. They usually get carted.

If there's any point to make modern Indian batsmen are clearly one or two levels below the previous generations when playing spin. Probably a result of the emphasis they've put on developing pace bowling in recent times.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One silver lining I see is that Rohit, at the very least, has pinpointed the exact issue - our batting was simply not brave enough. Most post match stuff seem to agree that the pitch had slow consistent turn and low consistent bounce and it should not have been that difficult to score 230 on. The batsmen and the batting were soft was ****. Its why we lost. Hopefully some proper changes are rung in for the next test.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I know i may be speaking out my arse, but possibly Hartley is just a good bowler?

Its not like county spinners haven't toured india before. They usually get carted.

If there's any point to make modern Indian batsmen are clearly one or two levels below the previous generations when playing spin. Probably a result of the emphasis they've put on developing pace bowling in recent times.

There is actually a lot more to it and the biggest thing to blame is the lack of A tours.

But for most players, including Hartley, DRS is not around in FC cricket and it plays a huge role when it comes to judging spinners and also batsmen against spin. The other factor that plagues Indian domestics (and perhaps a bit of English CC as well, though probably not the Aus, SA or NZ FC comps) is the standard of fielding. It plays a HUGE role in how batsmen can cope with top class spin or even good spin in tough conditions. The easy single or the slightly fast run 2 or dropped catches, they all play a huge role. For India with our 38 domestic teams, there is no way these boys will face high quality fielding like international cricket or games with DRS. With more A team cricket, at least the former can be balanced a bit.

And its not just for our spinners or batters, even blokes like Kuhnemann or Hartley who are picked based on some physical attributes than just plain records. It makes sense because esp. with DRS, at least when it comes to spin, FC cricket is really not comparable to tests at all.

It is an often overlooked thing but it has a huge impact at this level.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is actually a lot more to it and the biggest thing to blame is the lack of A tours.

But for most players, including Hartley, DRS is not around in FC cricket and it plays a huge role when it comes to judging spinners and also batsmen against spin. The other factor that plagues Indian domestics (and perhaps a bit of English CC as well, though probably not the Aus, SA or NZ FC comps) is the standard of fielding. It plays a HUGE role in how batsmen can cope with top class spin or even good spin in tough conditions. The easy single or the slightly fast run 2 or dropped catches, they all play a huge role. For India with our 38 domestic teams, there is no way these boys will face high quality fielding like international cricket or games with DRS. With more A team cricket, at least the former can be balanced a bit.

And its not just for our spinners or batters, even blokes like Kuhnemann or Hartley who are picked based on some physical attributes than just plain records. It makes sense because esp. with DRS, at least when it comes to spin, FC cricket is really not comparable to tests at all.

It is an often overlooked thing but it has a huge impact at this level.
The death of FC cricket is an issue for teams everywhere really. I'd have thought the standard of fielding has improved in India since the 80s/90s however. What do you think of the idea that as pace bowling grows in significance for the Indian side, their mastery of spin drops off?

Bumrah was comfortably their best bowler this game for me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The death of FC cricket is an issue for teams everywhere really. I'd have thought the standard of fielding has improved in India since the 80s/90s however. What do you think of the idea that as pace bowling grows in significance for the Indian side, their mastery of spin drops off?

Bumrah was comfortably their best bowler this game for me.

No, I mean irrespective of batting and bowling skills, I feel with lesser teams, the general standard of fielding would be higher in RSA NZ and Aus. England probably would have better athletes overall fielding than India too. The standards have improved for sure in India but its honestly not even close to what you may see in RSA, Aus or NZ. I feel England may have slightly worse fielding standards due to the 18 teams but it would still be comfortably higher than the Ranji Trophy.

The pace bowling thing is a good point but I feel its more about how little FC these guys play once they are in the Indian set up and how it means they dont get to feel the confidence a player can get by sometimes skipping down a level and just bossing it there.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
No, I mean irrespective of batting and bowling skills, I feel with lesser teams, the general standard of fielding would be higher in RSA NZ and Aus. England probably would have better athletes overall fielding than India too. The standards have improved for sure in India but its honestly not even close to what you may see in RSA, Aus or NZ. I feel England may have slightly worse fielding standards due to the 18 teams but it would still be comfortably higher than the Ranji Trophy.

The pace bowling thing is a good point but I feel its more about how little FC these guys play once they are in the Indian set up and how it means they dont get to feel the confidence a player can get by sometimes skipping down a level and just bossing it there.
Well, arguably they get that when they play minnows. Think its a bigger issue for 2nd tier test countries who play less cricket.

Of course, this discussion like most just loops back around to t20 is killing the game

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
A whole lot of credit needs to go to McCullum and Rob Key, some bloody good calls that most people would struggle to have made, right through the team ..

●Backing Zack Crawley when he went on a horrible run, basically said we are not expecting consistency your greatest strength will be making the sum of our parts stronger by getting us off to good starts, where more consistent players will clean up.

●Recalling Ben Duckett from the Test wilderness, most would have just labeled him a white ball slogger.

●Backing Ollie Pope at No.3 ..That was not an obvious position for Pope once upon a time..

●Identifying superstar talent like Harry Brook , Rehan Ahmed and not being afraid to include them in the team

●Tom Hartley was a genius left field pick in hindsight , they said screw his record maybe we haven't been performing in India cause we haven't been paying closer attention to the attributes needed to succeed there.