• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Doolan's selection was less trying to protect Hughes and more thinking that him having a great technique would mean he'd overperform in Tests.

But that didn't happen.
I've never heard him be complimented on his technique, but that series was almost 10 years ago I'd be interesting to look back at a few cricinfo articles from that time.

If I recall they were so keen to hide Hughes that they flew over Smarsh last minute (Watto injured I think?) and threw him in the XI despite Hughes being in the squad as backup bat. Then voila he scores a quality ton.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he's not there yet IMO. Especially as IIRC he hasn't been that great this season?
Our FC batting stocks look genuinely awful it's depressing. I don't want to see Renshaw, Handscomb etc. again. At this point I'd rather just punt on a bunch of young 24 year olds

McSweeney i guess

Starfighter

Tbf all of those selections were related to Hughes either getting dropped short term or being a PROTECTED species against SA.

Hate to speak ill of the dead, but we all saw it happen and Doolan and Quiney were most certainly short term bait.
Don't remember about Doolan, but I was pretty gobsmacked when they admitted they'd picked Quiney basically because they thought Hughes' technique wouldn't have stood up against SA.

He did give us that 9 though.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Our FC batting stocks look genuinely awful it's depressing. I don't want to see Renshaw, Handscomb etc. again. At this point I'd rather just punt on a bunch of young 24 year olds

McSweeney i guess
The perils of having pretty awful FC wickets as a rule are having a significant effect. There's a significant risk of an 80's style slump in 3-4 years time.

Flem274*

123/5
It just doesn't work for us for whatever reason. I'd even argue that it didn't work with Voges and that's the closest you can get - we didn't pick him to pile on runs against the worst WI attack ever fielded at home, we picked him to score runs in England in 2015 and he failed dismally.
Not Chris Rogers?

I'm a bit wary of only picking youth because it removes the chance for a guy to surprise you (like Daryl Mitchell) and removes the point of playing FC past a certain age, though I gather in Australia there is more money in the domestic game so being a FC journeyman is actually a reasonable middle class job?

Gnske

Oh yeah sure but it shows that it's a mistake to get suckered into these things. Long-term mediocrity > short term form
Also that post-Argus review era was weird. That specific allergy to old men getting picked over young potential or short-stop solutions in their mid career.

Not that it lasted long. I wonder if Rogers didn't work out whether Voges would even have been considered later on.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not Chris Rogers?

I'm a bit wary of only picking youth because it removes the chance for a guy to surprise you (like Daryl Mitchell) and removes the point of playing FC past a certain age, though I gather in Australia there is more money in the domestic game so being a FC journeyman is actually a reasonable middle class job?
See previous comments. Huge difference between someone dominating all FC cricket for years and just not getting picked for increasingly strange reasons, and guys averaging 37 who have two good seasons... and then quickly demonstrate whey they average 37 in the Shield when picked

Gob

International Coach
Incidentally amongst all this the "can the second greatest batsman in the country's history open the batting" conversation was also killed stone dead today, so wins all around. Just needed Green to not get that cracker and it would have been an all around flawless day of cricket.
lol couple more moderate failures in New Zealand and the usual wankers will pop in to the tour threads to remind us how he is no good

Amazing game though. Joseph is amazing. Almost Bumrah like. Also think WTC chances takes a big blow

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
The first reply was pretty amazing too. Video of him backing away from a full toss from Holding and getting clean bowled.
Those old boys like Holding must be so annoyed at people like him taking pleasure in putting down WI. It's like they're bitter, because look at him literally RUNNING lol