• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Shady Slim

International Coach
they had an interview with sinclair on the seven pre game and what struck me wasn’t just his passion for the game, but he was talking up how he and a lot of this group really want to play *test* cricket and i hope that that holds

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It just doesn't work for us for whatever reason. I'd even argue that it didn't work with Voges and that's the closest you can get - we didn't pick him to pile on runs against the worst WI attack ever fielded at home, we picked him to score runs in England in 2015 and he failed dismally.
It kind of worked for Rogers IMO. Though if he was playing today he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Spark

Global Moderator
It kind of worked for Rogers IMO. Though if he was playing today he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.
Rogers was absolutely not just a journeyman with a mediocre Shield record though, he was on merit clearly one of the best batsmen in the country who just didn't get picked for weird reasons. I'm talking about your Cowans, Doolans, Rob Quineys etc

TheJediBrah

Let's not forget that captain Pat Cummins decided to declare with Australia 9 down for 289, still 22 runs behind the West Indies first innings total of 311. In the end, the West Indies won by 8 runs.
While I'd love to stick the boot into PeeCum, this reasoning doesn't make sense. If he keeps batting everything changes from then on, butterfly effect and all that. If he doesn't declare maybe they don't get the wicket that night and the next day, when batting was a lot better, might have seen WI make 50-100 more

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rogers had a very solid FC record (I'd also argue that Voges worked well enough). The thing is that the names currently being thrown around have FC averages just over 40 at best.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I love how Kraigg spoke with channelled aggression about Rodney Hogg. So much different than how Darren Sammy seemed to be. A lot more us than me in that interview. And Sammy was a great captain. Hopefully Kraigg can be even better.

TheJediBrah

It just doesn't work for us for whatever reason. I'd even argue that it didn't work with Voges and that's the closest you can get - we didn't pick him to pile on runs against the worst WI attack ever fielded at home, we picked him to score runs in England in 2015 and he failed dismally.
Well on debut he did win us a game in WI making 130-odd not out in tough conditions when no one else made runs

morgieb

Rogers was absolutely not just a journeyman with a mediocre Shield record though, he was on merit clearly one of the best batsmen in the country who just didn't get picked for weird reasons. I'm talking about your Cowans, Doolans, Rob Quineys etc
Yeah why the **** he didn't get picked over Cowan in 2011 is beyond me. At least before then there wasn't really a spot. Or they were picking Hughes instead.

Gnske

Tbf all of those selections were related to Hughes either getting dropped short term or being a PROTECTED species against SA.

Hate to speak ill of the dead, but we all saw it happen and Doolan and Quiney were most certainly short term bait.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Let's not forget that captain Pat Cummins decided to declare with Australia 9 down for 289, still 22 runs behind the West Indies first innings total of 311. In the end, the West Indies won by 8 runs.
He won't do that again, every runs count! I was shocked when I checked the scoreboard and saw it as a West Indian because I know every runs count and these batters need it. Pat isn't experienced enough tbh with tough games like this, you can't expect to just beat opponents like that. I remember specifically Warne pointing out that 180s and above chase isn't as easy as many would think. WI need another quick and let's see what they can accomplish. Getting over 300 in one innings was also a positive step for them. The big runs total isn't needed when the bowling is good.

Starfighter

Yeah I think we have to look longer term if MMarsh doesn't work tbh.
I'd be looking at Hardie as a possibility too (and we can have a tram stacked with right-arm fast-medium lol), but he needs more shield matches and to get a few more hundreds.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well on debut he did win us a game in WI making 130-odd not out in tough conditions when no one else made runs
Yeah like I said he's the one you can say "worked". But still, he completely stank up the 2015 Ashes and that's the decisive factor for me

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd be looking at Hardie as a possibility too (and we can have a tram stacked with right-arm fast-medium lol), but he needs more shield matches and to get a few more hundreds.
Yeah he's not there yet IMO. Especially as IIRC he hasn't been that great this season?

morgieb

Tbf all of those selections were related to Hughes either getting dropped short term or being a PROTECTED species against SA.

Hate to speak ill of the dead, but we all saw it happen and Doolan and Quiney were most certainly short term bait.
I think Doolan's selection was less trying to protect Hughes and more thinking that him having a great technique would mean he'd overperform in Tests.

But that didn't happen.

Spark

Global Moderator

Oh yeah sure but it shows that it's a mistake to get suckered into these things. Long-term mediocrity > short term form