• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Slifer

International Captain
Hate to be a Debbie downer but WI will likely lose, but I'm proud of the effort the lads have put in. Except for India, Australia has demolished everyone else at home without breaking a sweat. Wi have managed to make an unexpected decent go of it in this test. And I don't want to hear any crap about the pitches bla bla bla because after the WI's 1st innings, everyone kept saying wi total was below par on a flat wicket.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wandered around close to The Gabbatoir tonight. Was a bit cooler than daytime temps. This was taken about 5 minutes before I discovered the concert I was going to wasn't actually at The Princess Theatre and had been instead changed to The Tivoli at Fortitude Valley...

1000002987.jpg

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Green isn’t a 6 or 7
Why not? That's where he's played the majority of his Test career, and hardly done enough to suggest he's a 4 - historically the place where Australian greats bat. He might be an FC god there but doesn't look assured enough at Test level. Very handy bowler, and if they were prepared to back Renshaw, he'd be the perfect 6 to let Smith go back to 4. He's probably not a 7, but Ben Stokes has batted at 6 for the majority of his career, and there's no argument to say Green is better than him at Test level.

Gob

International Coach
Why not? That's where he's played the majority of his Test career, and hardly done enough to suggest he's a 4 - historically the place where Australian greats bat. He might be an FC god there but doesn't look assured enough at Test level. Very handy bowler, and if they were prepared to back Renshaw, he'd be the perfect 6 to let Smith go back to 4. He's probably not a 7, but Ben Stokes has batted at 6 for the majority of his career, and there's no argument to say Green is better than him at Test level.
Who would you leave out? Mitch Marsh is currently at 6

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Who would you leave out? Mitch Marsh is currently at 6
Fair point, I felt the argument was that Green isn't a 6...if it's he's not a 6 in this side because it doesn't fit, then I understand that. But I haven't seen much to suggest he's a Test 4. He'll get an extended run there which is great, because I imagine Usman won't last a lot longer and Renshaw/whomever comes in there.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Pleased to see the fight continues, even when things are going against us like with Shamarh's sore toe.

At the same the lack of game sense from Athanaze and McKenzie is incredibly frustrating and in many ways let Australia of the hook. You can see the shot making and technical talent but they both made predictably bad decisions after getting starts. They need way more FC cricket, I'd have them going on A tours still, particularly McKenzie as he is not in the white ball set up. You can see Hodge has less talent but having played a decent amount of FC cricket he makes better decisions in order to build an innings.

Green has looked even worse than our guys on this tour, I'd say he's the worst middle/lower order batsman on either side at the moment. Given his FC stats, I guess that's is temporary, but I'm not at all convinced he would be a test number 4 anyway.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We came to fight.
Hate to be a Debbie downer but WI will likely lose, but I'm proud of the effort the lads have put in. Except for India, Australia has demolished everyone else at home without breaking a sweat. Wi have managed to make an unexpected decent go of it in this test. And I don't want to hear any crap about the pitches bla bla bla because after the WI's 1st innings, everyone kept saying wi total was below par on a flat wicket.
Defense is the best form of offense.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
What this tour has done is make the squad for England later this year very interesting, given the people who turned down selection for this tour will likely be available.

I think Hodge will likely get to keep his place now, as will McKenzie and Athanaze.

I know Greaves bowled pretty nicely but I think he will lose out to Holder pretty comfortably.

Lots of chat in the Caribbean about Tage already given he struggled in three series. I think that would be very harsh, but if he struggles in the four day championship starting in a week or so and someone else scores runs, ye may be in trouble.

The bowling will likely stay the same though I imagine Akeem Jordan would miss out to Jayden Seales.

Shady Slim

International Coach
tbf pakistan did pretty well too here, even though it's likely to wind up a 5-0 australian summer it's been superbly competitive and great cricket, from pakistan and the windies both

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf pakistan did pretty well too here, even though it's likely to wind up a 5-0 australian summer it's been superbly competitive and great cricket, from pakistan and the windies both
It's been a good combination of tourists playing better than expected, Australia playing worse than expected, and sufficiently sporting wickets.

And keeping private school-educated Queenslanders out of the side

Qlder

International Debutant
Primarily other than Marsh and Khawaja our batting has pretty well sucked. That's why it's been competitive (alternatively it's been a bowlers summer for all teams)

Screenshot_20240128_100441_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Coronis

International Coach
Am I a bad person for wanting us to almost lose rather than a solid win just so Smith can get a first time 100?