• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

danzydab

U19 Debutant
Because he's good at cricket? It's insane to me that people still want pope gone. He's averaged 44 since mccullum took over. I get the whole "he only makes weak runs" and "he can't play spin" thing, but come the hell on. When was the last time england had a #3 (not named root) doing this well? The issue this game was the fact that england picked two spinner's with no FC experience, and leach got injured. India never should have been allowed to score 400+.
yea pope has served me a humble pie. he looked the worst player of spin in the team before this

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Less than that. Given Duckett's interview after day 1, I suspect think will need well less than 10 to convince themselves they were in the match from start to finish and their chosen XI were not outclassed. From CoP on day 2 anything less than an innings defeat is momentum to them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If England hadn’t decided to pack out the attack with club spinners for some reason they’d be on course to win this one.
The existence of Root made it so much less necessary too.

If they thought there was a chance it was just gonna rag and be a low scoring shoot out, Leach and Root bowling 70% of the overs was still totally possible. Or maybe Leach, Root and Rehan. That last extra spinner instead of Jimmy or Robinson made no real sense once Root was gonna bowl and Stokes wasn't.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
The existence of Root made it so much less necessary too.

If they thought there was a chance it was just gonna rag and be a low scoring shoot out, Leach and Root bowling 70% of the overs was still totally possible. Or maybe Leach, Root and Rehan. That last extra spinner instead of Jimmy or Robinson made no real sense once Root was gonna bowl and Stokes wasn't.
maybe they didn't completely trust the spinners and so needed alternatives and to see who would stand up on the day?

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Totally surprised by today. Expected us to roll over but we've put up a decent fight although India still favourites.

Well done Pope. Great knock.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seriously, Ashwin and Jadeja suck and they have sucked for years.

Six months ago they would never have let this happen. Pope scoring a century in India is actually going to backfire I fear. Now Indian groundsmen will fear his elite ambition and create Nagpur's from here on out.

Watch the next few tosses incase the coin looks weighted.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The surprise is the big Pope ton specifically, not really the character of the side.
Yeah agreed, I didn’t read much of the thread this morning it was more the comments yesterday that seemed to anticipate we would just roll over.

I mean maybe it still ends with India by 8 wickets but we’ve shown we can compete.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Suspect Crawley and Duckett will wipe out the deficit before a wicket his lost and Stokes declares when we're about 450 ahead. I'd expect a comfortable England win but I suppose a draw is possible
Not too far off.