• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Spark

Global Moderator
I think they're probably one top-tier bat short of having a pretty good team. I think their Top 4 isn't too bad, problem is that none of them are really 45+ averaging guns.
I can absolutely see this team being very competitive in home conditions. Could even see them being threatening in England and SA too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I thought the same about Mayers. They're not really good enough in the roles they've been picked in but they average low 20s with the ball domestically despite being under bowled and you can see why. Having one of them bat seven and take their bowling more seriously would be a good thing for them IMO.
Greaves is different to Mayers too in that he actually looks like a real bowler and just not a fun meme.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway I don't get how Green survived there but I'll take it.

Hopefully he'll be a bit more assured tomorrow. Think the first half an hour will tell a story.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I can absolutely see this team being very competitive in home conditions. Could even see them being threatening in England and SA too.
Who would score any runs in England and SA though?

There’s genuinely no one averaging in the 40s right

Gob

International Coach
Like the look of the new young opener. Looks pretty solid in challenging conditions. Promising future ahead

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think we can play Green in the NZ Tests unless he somehow turns this around tomorrow and makes 60 or 70. At least not as a batsman.

Unfortunate because his bowling was excellent today

Michael Neser would bat a lot better than Green has this series
I think he’s looked good with the bat this series apart from those last few overs

Problem is so obviously mental as he’s a much better player than the likes of MMarsh but needs to relax

Got a half volley last ball and was gripping the bat so tightly that he dragged it to mid on

Bahseph

International Debutant
I'm sure I read an article quoting Ian Bishop that said Greaves used to open the bowling regularly at FC level but has had back issues recently. Holds up when you watch him.

TheJediBrah

If they insist on playing this XI, based on this series and today especially, my reactionary hot take is that Green should bat at 7. His bowling and gully fielding are working, his batting isn't, but he's clearly still got potential there. I don't love Carey at 6, or Marsh at 4 or 5, but Carey is more of a #6 than Green is a 4 at the moment.

This still leaves them a quality batsman short in my book but it's better than what they have now. Green can't bat 4 in his current state

TheJediBrah

Green's biggest value will come when one of the 3 quicks needs a rest and they can just slot Green in as 3rd seamer and pick another batsman. Marsh/Carey/Green at 6/7/8 (in any order) is actually starting to look strong.

Of course they probably wouldn't do this if Starc or Haze need a rest or are injured, and play another bowler instead, leaving us still short on batting and with an unecessary 5 seam bowling options

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm sure I read an article quoting Ian Bishop that said Greaves used to open the bowling regularly at FC level but has had back issues recently. Holds up when you watch him.
Yeah that explains why he didn't seem to bowl much for a while. If this is what he usually bowls like but was injured a bit then he's actually a serious prospect despite already being 30 odd.

TheJediBrah

Green isn’t a 6 or 7
Green isn’t a 6 or 7
Not this **** again. Where did this "6 and 7 have to be aggressive boshers" mass delusion even come from

He's not a no. 4 right now that's for sure. His bowling and fielding are where is value is based on this series. His batting is just a bonus. Whether it's 7, 8, 9 doesn't matter. If he can figure out how to bat again then consider moving him up to 4.

When he averages 40+ at 6 or 7 for a couple of years he might be ready to move up the order

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Why
Not this **** again. Where did this "6 and 7 have to be aggressive boshers" mass delusion even come from

He's not a no. 4 right now that's for sure. His bowling and fielding are where is value is based on this series. His batting is just a bonus. Whether it's 7, 8, 9 doesn't matter. If he can figure out how to bat again then consider moving him up to 4.

When he averages 40+ at 6 or 7 for a couple of years he might be ready to move up the order
Why is he not a #4 right now? He's looked fine bar the last session tonight, and batting against the newish pink ball in the last session is notoriously hard, and more importantly, something green has never done at any point in his career. He got a good ball in the first test and didn't commit to hitting a half volley in the first innings this test. His issue isn't a "I'm not a #4, or #6, or whatever" thing right now, it's mental. He's stuck between either trying to smash the ball too hard or being too passive.

TheJediBrah

Why is he not a #4 right now? He's looked fine bar the last session tonight, and batting against the newish pink ball in the last session is notoriously hard, and more importantly, something green has never done at any point in his career. He got a good ball in the first test and didn't commit to hitting a half volley in the first innings this test.
He hasn't looked fine lol
His issue isn't a "I'm not a #4, or #6, or whatever" thing right now, it's mental. He's stuck between either trying to smash the ball too hard or being too passive.
100% correct. Also why he shouldn't be batting 4. He needs to establish himself and build confidence at this level. That is what will fix these mental issues.

#4 is not a spot you put an unproven batsman in Test cricket. It's where you move an established no. 5 or 6 when they're ready for the responsibility.

This is just off the top of my head so may not be perfect recollection but Australia's #4s:
<2002 Mark Waugh batted 4, after proving himself at 6
2002-2006 Damien Martyn, after 2 dominant years at 6
2006-2011 Michael Clarke/Mike Hussey IIRC, both after dominating at 6. Ponting moved there for a season or 2 that was a bit of a special case
2011-2014 Some combo of Clarke/Hussey/Watson, all proven players
2015> Steve Smith, proven player

I supported the decision to move Green to 4 before the 1st Test because I thought it was what made the team strongest but I did not expect him to be this lost. He looks shot, like really awful, a 6'6" bundle of nerves lacking any confidence in what he's doing. I was wrong, wrong, wrong and so was everyone else that thought the same, and so are all you guys still insisting he should be backed at #4 right now