• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That last bit reminds me a little of how many tennis players will bounce the ball a dozen plus times before serving. It's totally pointless from a mechanical point of view and wastes time, but it does seem to work as far as routine-setting goes. I wonder if that's similar.
I'm sure it is for some people, but I think for a lot it's that they saw someone else do it and they copied them. And they bowl worse for doing it. The ones who spin it up in therir hands as they actually start their run can be especially relied upon for long hops in my personal experiance.

I haven't seen anyone in old footage doing it, so it's yet another thing that slows the game compared to yesteryear,

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
That last bit reminds me a little of how many tennis players will bounce the ball a dozen plus times before serving. It's totally pointless from a mechanical point of view and wastes time, but it does seem to work as far as routine-setting goes. I wonder if that's similar.
Sampras was the complete opposite, wasn't he? One cursory bounce transitioning into that flawless serve (#datedTennisKnowledge)

Molehill

International Captain
At least of late, it really does seem like it's not the nature of the bowler that matters but how ****ing long it takes to set fields. Sometimes it feels like we spend more time watching captains wandering around and pointing at people than we do actual cricket.
This is England. Stokes spends a lot of time stood next to his bowler having a chat. Root would oridnarily get through his overs as quickly as Jadeja does, but even he is being slowed down now.

If you can't get through 90 overs in India then there's no excuse. Ridiculous WTC penalties certainly don't seem to be the answer as they haven't changed since the Ashes (when there were legitimate reasons for some slowness).

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah so this is very much a deck where you have to bowl patiently in good areas to eke out wickets. Could've been a lot more #punishing for England's undisciplined spinners if all of India's batsmen didn't suffer from Mathewsitis. Still a very good chance that India only bat once.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Englands selection is terrible. So disappointing watching this. Nothing makes any sense at all.
I think there are obviously certain selections - Hartley in particular that were questionable. You can also question our tactics at times.

But these are peripheral issues for me - in Indian conditions, they are simply too good for us.

Playing Anderson or Robinson etc may have made a marginal difference but no more.

I don't think a ROW side would beat India at home, nevermind England.

Molehill

International Captain
I think there are obviously certain selections - Hartley in particular that were questionable. You can also question our tactics at times.

But these are peripheral issues for me - in Indian conditions, they are simply too good for us.

Playing Anderson or Robinson etc may have made a marginal difference but no more.

Yeah, Hartley and Bashir were so left field, it's like the selectors are trying to prove they're cleverer than everyone else. When really all they had to do was make Dawson a decent offer.

Agreed that we're never likely to win anyway, but at least turn up with the right personnel.

Spark

Global Moderator

I really feel that the BGT series last year demonstrated that this India team are not invincible. That was not by any means a vintage Australian side that turned up but they ran this Indian team mighty close. But you have to respect the conditions, plan and strategise sensibly and bowl with a ton of control.

However that was on different pitches to what this seems to be.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
I really feel that the BGT series last year demonstrated that this India team are not invincible. That was not by any means a vintage Australian side that turned up but they ran this Indian team mighty close. But you have to respect the conditions, plan and strategise sensibly and bowl with a ton of control.

And they ran into an India with Kohli barely getting back into form, and a side sans Pant and Bumrah

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Root

Yeah this pitch is definitely closer to the 1st test of the aforementioned BGT, and Australia copped an innings loss on that deck.

srbhkshk

International Captain

The main pointer is that Indian batting has been brittle for a long time now and the teams will always have a chance as long as that continues. As and when the batting is sorted out it's close to an impossible job with Axar , Jaddu and Ashwin all being two players in one.

Spark

Global Moderator
The main pointer is that Indian batting has been brittle for a long time now and the teams will always have a chance as long as that continues. As and when the batting is sorted out it's close to an impossible job with Axar , Jaddu and Ashwin all being two players in one.
Yeah but the jury's still out on this Indian batting lineup IMO. Rohit's mind seems elsewhere at times, Jaiswal looks an incredible talent but he's been around five minutes. Gill's Test record is abysmal, and Kohli is still in the latter stages of his career. Iyer will be fine at home, granted, his problems are away from home.

While that's the case there's openings there to interrogate. Which you can't do if your bowlers insist on bowling halfway down twice an over and your captain prioritises your worst bowlers over your best.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Yeah, Hartley and Bashir were so left field, it's like the selectors are trying to prove they're cleverer than everyone else. When really all they had to do was make Dawson a decent offer.

Agreed that we're never likely to win anyway, but at least turn up with the right personnel.
Aye, it's especially weird since we had success in Pakistan not long ago playing a three man pace attack of Anderson/Robinson/Wood on unhelpful surfaces, with Leach backed up by Root plus random allrounders like Jacks for spin duties. The seamers keeping things tight and chipping away at wickets were key there. Seems odd to now bench Test calibre seam bowlers for County reserve level spinners.

At this rate, we might not even win the series...

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
Apparently Leach has a back injury or a knee problem or both, well anyway he cant bowl more
than a few overs at a time. No doubt thats why they selected a 3rd spinner for this test or where
would we be?