• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson on these decks would at least be like a spinner in 'ordinary' circumstances. Bowl a dry spell here or there, mix things up, ask some questions. The rest of the attack can barely land three balls in an area.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's not really bowled badly. Jaiswal has the right idea. He's one of the guys that needs to attack Leach and Hartley as much as possible. Some of our righties are going to find it difficult at various points in this series if it really turns a lot.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Poor lad has been thrown to the lions getting the new ball like this and being kept on. Kinda reminds me of Bryce McGain's one Test. Although he was not a bad bowler, just got thrown to Kallis, Prince & De Villiers in full flow on a flat Newlands pitch.

Starfighter

He did, in 2016 in India. I remember him bowling a lot of trash. His overall record: 19 Test, 60 wickets at 39.83, an economy of 3.75.
Rashid is, I think a case of a non-selected player's stock being higher, combined with that overrating of leg spinners that quite a lot of cricket fans seem to do.

Burgey

Classic idiocy from England. If the home side is running with two quicks why go with three spinners, two of them unproven? Brain worms. So many sides do this sort of thing over there

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Anderson on these decks would at least be like a spinner in 'ordinary' circumstances. Bowl a dry spell here or there, mix things up, ask some questions. The rest of the attack can barely land three balls in an area.
There is no way Anderson would allow a test captain to take him off after 2 overs with the new ball, this makes Mark Wood look weak .

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Classic idiocy from England. If the home side is running with two quicks why go with three spinners, two of them unproven? Brain worms. So many sides do this sort of thing over there
Stokes injury just hamstrings us again as it did in the Ashes with the balance.

He shouldn't have played the World Cup gone and gone for surgery soon as the Ashes finished. He may well have been able to bowl here.

Said as much at the time. Said hope we/he doesn't regret the decision if impacts this tour.

That being said Root as third spinner wouldn't be any worse than Hartley right now.

Chin Music

State Regular
He did, in 2016 in India. I remember him bowling a lot of trash. His overall record: 19 Tests, 60 wickets at 39.83, an economy of 3.75.
My memory of Rashid on that tour was that he was decent in the earlier part of the tour but went downhill in the Mumbai test when he was bowled for nearly 30 overs non-stop. That said, he ceased to be much of an option after getting clattered in the West Indies in 2019 when they misread the pitch and picked him when they should have picked an extra quick man.

Starfighter

Well you can point out that we didn't do too badly with three spinners. That said, from what I've seen of both of them, Kuhnemann, who didn't really bowl that well, is a noticeably better bowler than Hartley - whose main justification for selection on this tour is that he's tall and can bat.

He could still come back and grab wickets if he can find the right length and pace.

social

Yeah but not even Australia would have dropped ancient McGrath in favour of Xavier Doherty and we’ve done some seriously stupid stuff in India

OverratedSanity

Well you can point out that we didn't do too badly with three spinners. That said, from what I've seen of both of them, Kuhnemann, who didn't really bowl that well, is significantly better bowler than Hartley - whose main justification for selection on this tour is that he's tall and can bat.
There were a few points in that tour where Cummins kept bowling Kuhnemann over himself or one of the pacers who honestly would've been more threatening.