• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is marnus's leave movement less autistic now? Swear he use to swing the bat around more when he left.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Regular
Shamar Joseph the 23rd Test bowler to get a wicket off his first ball ..

The last West Indian to do so was Tyrell Johnson vs England at The Oval in 1939.

Amazing to think two of the 23 test players to do it in the 150+ years of Test cricket are playing this test match, Nathan Lyon (2011) , and Shamar Joseph (2024)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure I agree with Copeland there. If Roach has to bowl into the wind, the ball might not even reach the other end.

Gob

International Coach
Mate, Smith is the best Test batter of his generation. I'd back him to do a job as opener more than Marnus.
It's not about doing better than the alternatives though. If it limits his out put from batting at 4, its not a good move. I liked the middle order as it was but if it is to be changed, I'd rather open with your existing number 3 which is Marnus and move Smith to 3 so its less drastic

thierry henry

International Coach
I know Roach has been a medium pacer for years now but this is definitely the slowest I’ve seen him look. The combination of his height and the speed he’s bowling almost gives the illusion that the ball is coming up out of his hand, like a spinner.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Regular
It's not about doing better than the alternatives though. If it limits his out put from batting at 4, its not a good move. I liked the middle order as it was but if it is to be changed, I'd rather open with your existing number 3 which is Marnus and move Smith to 3 so its less drastic
I think you have to listen to what the player wants, give Smith atleast 10 Tests as an opener and then make a call.

Gob

International Coach
These are the kind of situations where you actually miss Warner. This is the kind of wicket he would race to 40 in no time

Gob

International Coach
I think you have to listen to what the player wants, give Smith atleast 10 Tests as an opener and then make a call.
Well I didn't like the idea in the first place. Its more like trying to fix things that aren't broken etc

Australia don't play much test cricket this year. After New Zealand away, its India next season. He'll be a year older and the prospect of facing Bumrah and Shami is not massively encouraging prospect

But I agree now that he is given the chance, they need a longer run

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Speed does not rely on size or height..
Well to an extent it does. I've even read a couple of papers that found a correlation between speed and height. Literally longer levers.

But at the pointy end some shorter people are better coordinated and can put together an overall more efficient action. You see a lot of the really quick bowlers being 5'10" to 6'1" or so.