• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Gob

International Coach
They say in the official CA website that Green is a certain starter

Does that mean Smith opening is set in stone now?

Don't like it. If they are really hell bent on bringing Green in, I'd probably push Marnus to open and bat Smith at 3 instead of pushing Smith to open

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not a long term solution but it doesn't need to be. It's not so short term that he's just going to fill his boots against the WI and then go back to the middle order - he clearly wants to do it against better opposition in the next couple of years as well. If it can help Australia win those series then it's a good decision.

I'm sceptical but not everything has to be part of some 10 year plan.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Don't like it. If they are really hell bent on bringing Green in, I'd probably push Marnus to open and bat Smith at 3 instead of pushing Smith to open
Green could still end up opening himself but yeah it seems like Smith is the most likely given he wants to do it.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia ODI squad vs West Indies

Steve Smith (c), Travis Head (vc), Sean Abbott, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Inglis, Marnus Labuschagne, Glenn Maxwell, Lance Morris, Jhye Richardson, Matt Short, Adam Zampa

Marsh, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood rested

Finally no more Stoinis 😀
So,
1. Wouldn't have picked maxwell for these. He's not gonna make the next wc. Experiment with manenti or something.
2. Wouldn't have minded Smith sitting out. Means you can have 3. Marnus 4. Green which is probably better long term.
3. JHYE TIME BABY. Will Sutherland missing out is rough given his ODC form and how he did in the ODI series vs nz-A, but that's chill.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, if you have the time look at the comment section on the fox sports video where bailey announces Smith is opening. Comedy gold.

Qlder

International Debutant
Green has huge shoes to fill as the new Aussie #4

1972-84 - G. Chappell - 4316 @ 59.12
1981-92 - Border - 3783 @ 50.44
1992-02 - M. Waugh - 6662 @ 42.43
1993-06 - Martyn - 2635 @ 46.22
2006-10 - Hussey - 2531 @ 46.01
2013-24 - Smith - 5966 @ 61.50

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone have any insight into why a lot of the media is pushing the "Bancroft unlucky/being treated unfairly" narrative so hard?

You'd think he was averaging 100 in Test cricket before getting dropped last time and 200 in the Shield by the way some are spinning it

Shady Slim

International Coach

i reckon they’re dropping smith
you have a batsman averaging 20 odd less than career average you have a liability. he’s got to go.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone have any insight into why a lot of the media is pushing the "Bancroft unlucky/being treated unfairly" narrative so hard?

You'd think he was averaging 100 in Test cricket before getting dropped last time and 200 in the Shield by the way some are spinning it
Sells clicks I guess? There was a large contingency of 40 yo Facebook dads with hilux profile pictures that got pissy when Langer was thrown out and have been vocal against Cummins a fair few times (captain woke stuff with alinta a great example. I'm seeing the same demographic posting the "Bowlers are mad at Bancroft" or "Do shield runs even matter" stuff now. Think platforms like fox are just pandering to there typical audience.

It's funny seeing people getting so worked up over this when renshaw had this exact thing happen in 2018 with finch in the test team. Feel like there's a qld centric "CA have a conspiracy against renshaw after he **** his pants in india" style argument waiting to be made.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would have given Renshaw a run in the odi team as it used to be a useful proving ground for tests

Forget about whether he deserves to be picked in that format and get him more exposure to international cricket

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Do you think Smudge wanted this because he's cooked and this is just a last hurrah before retirement? I just don't see him playing until he's 38-39 like Ponting etc. Recall Clarke having a purple patch then couldn't get one off the square around the same age.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sells clicks I guess? There was a large contingency of 40 yo Facebook dads with hilux profile pictures that got pissy when Langer was thrown out and have been vocal against Cummins a fair few times (captain woke stuff with alinta a great example. I'm seeing the same demographic posting the "Bowlers are mad at Bancroft" or "Do shield runs even matter" stuff now. Think platforms like fox are just pandering to there typical audience.

It's funny seeing people getting so worked up over this when renshaw had this exact thing happen in 2018 with finch in the test team. Feel like there's a qld centric "CA have a conspiracy against renshaw after he **** his pants in india" style argument waiting to be made.
Yeah & especially as Green beat out another West Aussie for the spot anyway

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The Renshaw/Harris/Bancroft debate matters not if Smith opens. Anyone of those three would probably make hay against a depleted W.I. side and once in the team it would be hard to drop them.

kevinw

International 12th Man
I am sure purists are disappointed but I am certain that Smith (even in a sort of slump) will average more over ten tests of opening than Bancroft, Harris or Renshaw (who would average 30 max).

King Kane

International Debutant
Australia could open with Nathan Lyon and still beat the West Indies comfortably.

They made 251/8 today in a warm up game against a no name CA X! bowling attack,, hate to think what Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc will do to them

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't want to be a doomer but 8/251 in a day against that attack on Karen Rolton Oval of all places is, like, borderline not FC standard. That's ****ing shocking.

Qlder

International Debutant
Even worse, it's one of those 11 bat, 11 bowl all squad play games so batting stronger than normal

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you think Smudge wanted this because he's cooked and this is just a last hurrah before retirement? I just don't see him playing until he's 38-39 like Ponting etc. Recall Clarke having a purple patch then couldn't get one off the square around the same age.
Clarke went from 100 to 0 because of a ****ed back. Like he genuinely could barely move, not quite the same thing