• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What will Pat Cummins’ legacy be?

kyear2

International Coach
As a captain I'll never forgive him for letting his team score at 2 runs an over in that 4th Ashes test knowing rain was around the corner.

The game was safe as a house, and Aussie should of been pushing hard and climbing all over them.

Instead they fall a wicket short of a clean sweep, and all we see are the English smiling and celebrating like they won the series.

Hell of a great player though.
How much control does a captain really have in that situation though?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some more performances in Asia probably wouldn't hurt his record? He had a monster series on those roads dead pakistan pitches in 2021, but he averages 29 in bangladesh, 33 in india and 60 in sri lanka. The thing that really sets your marshall's, hadlee's, and mcgrath's apart in my head atleast is there ability to dominate consistently in Asia and I don't know if we've seen cummins do that.
I was a little baffled with how he captained himself in the last India tour. Seemed to have lost belief that he could take wickets and kept giving Kuhnemann overs instead of bowling himself. Was odd because iirc Shami was taking wickets in the same game. His head probably wasn't in the game because of everything he was going through personally at the time because its not like he doesnt have the tools to be threatening on those decks.

Burgey

I was a little baffled with how he captained himself in the last India tour. Seemed to have lost belief that he could take wickets and kept giving Kuhnemann overs instead of bowling himself. Was odd because iirc Shami was taking wickets in the same game. His head probably wasn't in the game because of everything he was going through personally at the time because its not like he doesnt have the tools to be threatening on those decks.
Yeah. He may have been a tad distracted. He also didn’t bowl especially well in the Ashes in the sort term aftermath of her death.

They’re a close family and he’s a sensitive bloke. The look on his face yesterday when they handed the pink hats to McGrath was a decent reminder it’s still very recent history for him.

If you’re picking an ATG Australian side he’d be in the argument, especially given he doesn’t take the new ball. He and Garner are probably the two best first change bowlers I’ve seen

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah. He may have been a tad distracted. He also didn’t bowl especially well in the Ashes in the sort term aftermath of her death.

They’re a close family and he’s a sensitive bloke. The look on his face yesterday when they handed the pink hats to McGrath was a decent reminder it’s still very recent history for him.

If you’re picking an ATG Australian side he’d be in the argument, especially given he doesn’t take the new ball. He and Garner are probably the two best first change bowlers I’ve seen
I mean he's flat out come out and said his head wasn't in India during that series. I don't know what more needs to be said.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
As a captain I'll never forgive him for letting his team score at 2 runs an over in that 4th Ashes test knowing rain was around the corner.

The game was safe as a house, and Aussie should of been pushing hard and climbing all over them.

Instead they fall a wicket short of a clean sweep, and all we see are the English smiling and celebrating like they won the series.

Hell of a great player though.
Are we discussing his captaincy though?

Gob

International Coach
The last year has set him back majorly. I think he will end up outside the top test pacers ever.
Well even if you completely forget the passing of his mom as a contributing factor, he only played two tests in India and bowled really well for half of the Ashes. He probably ran out of steam towards the end after playing 6 tests in what five weeks

Also he is just 30 so there is a good chance he could fix his stats in India

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
Don’t see anyone overtaking McGrath anytime soon. Though, I did legitimately think Cummins had very good chances to overtake Steyn. Don’t see that happening but we would have to wait.

Qlder

International Debutant
I thought it was obvious. Captain Woke costing his team $30 million in sponsorship because as Australian cricket captain he refused to do ads for the sponsor paying the $30 million....what am I missing?

Burgey

I thought it was obvious. Captain Woke costing his team $30 million in sponsorship because as Australian cricket captain he refused to do ads for the sponsor paying the $30 million....what am I missing?
Probably the Rohan Dean hour on Sky