• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Owzat

U19 Captain
Anyway, India is a tough tour at the best of times but all the 5-0 shouts seem horribly misplaced to me. We won a Test there last tour when we were a much weaker outfit. This England side is more than the sum of its parts as it’s repeatedly shown.

I don’t think it’s as unbalanced as is being said either; Root is probably fine as fifth bowler in the conditions we can expect.

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Rehan
Robinson
Anderson/Wood
Leach

Not a bad side IMO.
England won a Test by scoring 550+ and IIRC the Indians made a mistake of not putting out a turning wicket

England managed less than 250 in each of their last six innings

205 & 135
112 & 81
134 & 164

it is England's usual inability to score 300+ makes them ripe to lose, yet a lot of the talk on beeb HYS is about Foakes and Dawson, not so much about their batting ability but does make me laugh that England picked FOUR spinners and Ahmed about the pick of them as a batsman!

Xix2565

International Regular
England won a Test by scoring 550+ and IIRC the Indians made a mistake of not putting out a turning wicket
To be fair, that was a pitch in a stadium being used for back to back Tests in Covid lockdowns. The problem India had was more that it was a win-toss, win-game pitch where the set of conditions on the first couple of days heavily favoured the team batting first and after than it was too difficult to catch up or survive. Whether this is a mistake in pitch preparation or not is probably YMMV.

And honestly the ability to score is dictated heavily by the bowlers you face and the conditions you bat in, so I'm not that surprised at the discussion around who's left out or got picked to tour.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I think Macpherson meant Carson rather than Carse as one of those most likely to be added to the main squad.
Does he? Were more likely to break down in the seam department than the spin one.

Wood, Robinson and Anderson(these days) aren't exactly known for their ability to play 5 tests on the bounce. Hasn't Atkinson had long term injury problems too?

Molehill

International Captain
Does he? Were more likely to break down in the seam department than the spin one.

Wood, Robinson and Anderson(these days) aren't exactly known for their ability to play 5 tests on the bounce. Hasn't Atkinson had long term injury problems too?
It was more a point on who should've been there in the first place.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
jesus christ is carse really next cab off the rank? i don't care if they barely break 80mph, he should not be going ahead of porter, cook, bamber et al

mackembhoy

International Debutant
jesus christ is carse really next cab off the rank? i don't care if they barely break 80mph, he should not be going ahead of porter, cook, bamber et al
Being able to bat as bowler has been giving players the nod ahead of those more worthy for a good 15 years.

There's also the being an usable backup in case of injury which Carse/Lawes are for Wood/Atkinson. If anything Potts and Fisher are the ones ahead of Porter/Cook as the Jimmy/Robinson backup.

Bamber I have no idea about. He looks 12 not 24!! Have seen the name but can't think I've seen him bowl.

Molehill

International Captain
I see Talksport have got the commentary rights ahead of TMS. That will reduce the numbers listening in by a significant amount I'd imagine. It's so much fun hearing a bit of commentary squeezed in amongst gambling ads.....and truly terrible commentators too (FFS McKenna again).

BBC Sounds announced it's top listened to shows during the year, the Top 24 were TMS Ashes related.