• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

FBU

International Debutant
I think Stokes will bowl even if he starts the first Test with 4 or 5 overs and build up. If he is able to run around he will bowl something.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Stokes will bowl even if he starts the first Test with 4 or 5 overs and build up. If he is able to run around he will bowl something.
Seriously doubt this. Maybe only if the game/series is on the line and he’s the only hope.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Dawson did the right thing anyways irrespective of whether ecb approached him or not

with our penchant for treating debutants well Bashir may prosper with Hartley

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Maybe could have gone for surgery the moment the Ashes finished?

Retired from ODI's due to workload and yet came back when he was held together by sticky tape.

I said at the time, I hope we don't don't regret his decision to come out of retirement at the expense of the India series. Him not being able to be an all rounder means we have to pick a weakened and unbalanced side again.
Mott and Jos wanted him to play, he wanted to play. That should be the end of it really. Obviously he shouldn’t have retired but him going the WC shouldn’t be constantly revisited as a mistake.

kevinw

International 12th Man
If you have 15-16 slots in your squad you don't have room to take two guys for the experience. Leach pulls a hammy and Rehan is the main spinner and one of the others plays.

Take Leach out of it for a second, is this the least experienced spin attack we've taken to Asia? 74 FC wickets I think between the other three.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyway, India is a tough tour at the best of times but all the 5-0 shouts seem horribly misplaced to me. We won a Test there last tour when we were a much weaker outfit. This England side is more than the sum of its parts as it’s repeatedly shown.

I don’t think it’s as unbalanced as is being said either; Root is probably fine as fifth bowler in the conditions we can expect.

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Rehan
Robinson
Anderson/Wood
Leach

Not a bad side IMO.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Pope just walks back in? Because he got the easiest double hundred ever against Ireland? He gets a nose bleed when he leaves Kennington. I'd rather Stokes remained at three and Foakes kept.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pope just walks back in? Because he got the easiest double hundred ever against Ireland? He gets a nose bleed when he leaves Kennington. I'd rather Stokes remained at three and Foakes kept.
I’d be okay with that, just not what I expect

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Yeah needs to be this for me. But we're a bowler light regardless.

Ahmed is the only bowler who can bat so we're going to have have to play 4 and hope India play the same wickets they did last time for Root to be of much use. If they give us wickets like they gave Australia were ****ed.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Mott and Jos wanted him to play, he wanted to play. That should be the end of it really. Obviously he shouldn’t have retired but him going the WC shouldn’t be constantly revisited as a mistake.
It was the right decision to take Stokes to the WC.

We've spoken alot since the WC debacle about England not prioritising ODIs since 2019.

Leaving one of our best ODI batsmen at home to try and ensure he's fit to bowl in India, would have fitted right into that narrative.

Molehill

International Captain
Anyway, India is a tough tour at the best of times but all the 5-0 shouts seem horribly misplaced to me. We won a Test there last tour when we were a much weaker outfit. This England side is more than the sum of its parts as it’s repeatedly shown.

I don’t think it’s as unbalanced as is being said either; Root is probably fine as fifth bowler in the conditions we can expect.

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Rehan
Robinson
Anderson/Wood
Leach

Not a bad side IMO.
I'd also want to get Foakes in, he's obviously a better keeper than Bairstow but he's also a better player of spin than Pope. I wonder if they'll alternate Robinson/Anderson and Wood/Atkinson, probably depends on the pitches. But with Pope being VC, seems like a guaranteed pick unfortunately.

But yeah, I don't see 5-0 either. There will probably be a road at some point that will guarantee a draw too.

Molehill

International Captain
I mean the Test at Indore probably turned even more than the D/N one where Root took 5/8. Even Delhi had a fair bit in it for spinners.
The match Aus won was where it turned stupid and removed the Indian spin advantage.

I'd take a load of 2.5 day lotteries, think we could win at least 1 of those.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The match Aus won was where it turned stupid and removed the Indian spin advantage.

I'd take a load of 2.5 day lotteries, think we could win at least 1 of those.
It's also probably the wicket where Bazball's most likely to work on, where you may as well just **** it knowing you'll eventually get one with your name on it.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I mean the Test at Indore probably turned even more than the D/N one where Root took 5/8. Even Delhi had a fair bit in it for spinners.
I've seen people commenting to prepare wickets like that series as good spinners were able to extract plenty from it. Were days play in the series where **** spinners would have been hopeless.

Leach was rubbish last time round and what's his fitness like. Rehan is a kid still and got absolutely smacked around the park this season in division two. Looks the part in white ball, but not sure his game is right yet for tests(fingers crossed I'm wrong)

Root is a part timer however you dress it up he's not a serious third option like Axar/Kunhemann. Dawson should have been picked(should have played the Ashes too)

I note we've got no bowlers who can bat either so our tail is going to be long.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I've seen people commenting to prepare wickets like that series as good spinners were able to extract plenty from it. Were days play in the series where **** spinners would have been hopeless.

Leach was rubbish last time round and what's his fitness like. Rehan is a kid still and got absolutely smacked around the park this season in division two. Looks the part in white ball, but not sure his game is right yet for tests(fingers crossed I'm wrong)

Root is a part timer however you dress it up he's not a serious third option like Axar/Kunhemann. Dawson should have been picked(should have played the Ashes too)

I note we've got no bowlers who can bat either so our tail is going to be long.
Robinson can bat

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Leach was rubbish last time round and what's his fitness like.
I think Leach bowled well last time, just that Rohit and Pant specifically got after him and we didn't have another option to turn to. Thought he had the measure of the rest of the Indian line up. His figures suffered as well from several drops off of his bowling while Bess was somehow picking up hauls bowling filth.

His fitness/lack of recent match practice is a fair concern, he gets more than his fair share of injuries and sickness. Hope he goes well though.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
He's a county eight, so a Test nine/ten. He can biff but he's a bit of a coward with the bat under pressure.
He's been a 9/10 for Sussex recently.

Tbf Ahmed will bat 8 and his batting was better than his bowling and he was a 6 last season.