• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where do you rank Shivnarine Chanderpaul in all-time best batsmen?

The Hillside

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I always felt he had an incredible record in Tests, ODIs and domestic circuit...often not discussed....also most of his feats came when West Indies cricket was decaying from it's golden era...so where do you rank him in all-time best batsmen list...this has to take in both his ODI and Test performances and records...

1-5...that's for Tendulkar, Kohli, Sangakarra, Ponting and Kallis....

5-10....that's for Jayawardene, Dravid, Lara, Border and Gavaskar...

10-15...I will fit him somewhere here....in the league of Amla, Steve Waugh, Inzamam ul Haq and Ab Devilliers...I would rank him at no.15...

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't care about Chanderpaul but your rankings suck

Lara is easily better than everyone you have in your first group except Tendulkar. And you have a lot of the rest backwards as well.

Though I agree with your policy of cricket not existing before 1999 (Border and Gavaskar aside for some reason?)

Coronis

International Coach
Don't care about Chanderpaul but your rankings suck

Lara is easily better than everyone you have in your first group except Tendulkar. And you have a lot of the rest backwards as well.

Though I agree with your policy of cricket not existing before 1999 (Border and Gavaskar aside for some reason?)
Everyone with a trophy should be exempt.

But seriously he mentions taking both Tests and ODIs into account so that would reasonably be a thought for having modern players there. No Viv is a headscratcher though.

Qlder

International Debutant
1-5...that's for Tendulkar, Kohli, Sangakarra, Ponting and Kallis....

5-10....that's for Jayawardene, Dravid, Lara, Border and Gavaskar...

10-15...I will fit him somewhere here....in the league of Amla, Steve Waugh, Inzamam ul Haq and Ab Devilliers...I would rank him at no.15...
So I guess Greg Chappell, Javed Miandad and Viv Richards were hacks in your eyes?

Chanderpaul wouldn't even be in the top 5 of West Indies batsmen but you only have Lara ahead of him

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
How can an "all time best" ignore greats from the past? This isn't a discussion about "all time" players as superstars such as Bradman, Hobbs, Hutton et al are ignored. Re-name the thread or include the real ATGs.

The Hillside

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
How can an "all time best" ignore greats from the past? This isn't a discussion about "all time" players as superstars such as Bradman, Hobbs, Hutton et al are ignored. Re-name the thread or include the real ATGs.
I mentioned this in one thread before that I have not seen any cricket before 1996...Border and Gavaskar are mentioned coz of their popularity after 1996.

Migara

International Coach
If you consider Tendulkar, we know his weaknesses as well as strengths. Same with Lara, Ponting or Sangakkara. They had weaknesses, they had strengths.

Chanderpaul is an enigma. Other than for staying power, there are not much strengths to show, nor weaknesses.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Surely Chanderpaul is more a 'very good' rather than a great in all time terms. Don't know if he is even a Windies great given the players they had between the 50s to early 90s.

Flem274*

123/5
Chanderpaul is definitely an ATG, though with the caveat that he was always reluctant to move position for the team. In his later career they should have at least considered giving their best player more time and influence on the innings than can be achieved at #5, but then we saw what happened to Clarke and guys like Border were all good at #5 in weaker sides.

Very few ATG batsmen have had to contend with such a shower for batting mates as he did post-Lara. Generally world class batsmen appear in pairs or even trios.

Maybe I'd pop him on the ATG side of the boundary between ATG and ATVG. Just make sure someone below him can either bat time or bat quickly to maximise team output.