• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Flem274*

123/5
Thinking on our World Cup semi boys

India
Tendulkar
Rohit
Kohli
Ganguly
Dhoni (wk)
Yuvraj
Kapil
Jadeja
Shami
Bumrah
Srinath

Australia
Gilchrist (wk)
Warner
Ponting
Jones
Bevan
Hussey
Watson
Starc
Warne
Bracken
McGrath

South Africa
de Kock (wk)
Gibbs
Amla
Kallis
ABDV
Miller
Klusener
Pollock
Tahir (kinda want Boje)
Morkel
Donald

New Zealand
Turner
Astle (very tempting to put Conway here on obvious quality but he didn't quite have the world cup for it)
Williamson
Taylor
Crowe
Cairns
McCullum (wk)
Vettori
Hadlee
Bond
Boult

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

India
Tendulkar
Rohit
Kohli
Ganguly
Dhoni (wk)
Yuvraj
Kapil
Jadeja
Shami
Bumrah
Srinath

Australia
Gilchrist (wk)
Warner
Ponting
Jones
Bevan
Hussey
Watson
Starc
Warne
Bracken
McGrath

South Africa
de Kock (wk)
Gibbs
Amla
Kallis
ABDV
Miller
Klusener
Pollock
Tahir (kinda want Boje)
Morkel
Donald

New Zealand
Turner
Astle (very tempting to put Conway here on obvious quality but he didn't quite have the world cup for it)
Williamson
Taylor
Crowe
Cairns
McCullum (wk)
Vettori
Hadlee
Bond
Boult
Pick Crowe as an opener and put Mitchell at 5.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

India
Tendulkar
Rohit
Kohli
Ganguly
Dhoni (wk)
Yuvraj
Kapil
Jadeja
Shami
Bumrah
Srinath

Australia
Gilchrist (wk)
Warner
Ponting
Jones
Bevan
Hussey
Watson
Starc
Warne
Bracken
McGrath

South Africa
de Kock (wk)
Gibbs
Amla
Kallis
ABDV
Miller
Klusener
Pollock
Tahir (kinda want Boje)
Morkel
Donald

New Zealand
Turner
Williamson
Taylor
Crowe
Cairns
McCullum (wk)
Vettori
Hadlee
Bond
Boult
India
Tendulkar
Rohit
Kohli
Dhoni (wk)
Yuvraj
Hardik
Kapil
Jadeja
Shami
Bumrah
Zaheer

Zaheer because left arm. Ganguly is too slow. Dhoni, Yuvraj and Kohli are enough in the middle order.

South Africa
de Kock (wk)
Gibbs
Amla
ABDV
Miller
Cronje
Klusener
Pollock
Tahir (kinda want Boje)
Morkel
Donald

Kallis is a no-no in any ODI ATXI.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dhoni never really batted 4, but Yuvraj did well there for a while. Makes more sense to swap them I think.

Hardik is an interesting call but he gives good balance to that side so I don't mind it, especially if he adds to his legacy over the next cycle.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was thinking a 4-6 of Yuvraj-Dhoni-Raina myself.

@ankitj you've done some more research into standardising ODI strike rates and averages than me - did India have anyone last century who might have been a good shout for #4?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon

India
Tendulkar
Rohit
Kohli
Ganguly
Yuvraj
Dhoni (wk)
Shastri
Kapil
Kumble
Shami
Bumrah

Australia
Gilchrist (wk)
Watson
Ponting
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey
Warne
Lee/Bracken?
Starc
McGrath

South Africa
de Kock (wk)
Amla
Kallis
Faf
AB
Miller
Klusener
Pollock
Fanie De Villiers
Donald
Tahir

New Zealand
Turner
Crowe
Williamson
Taylor
Mitchell
McCullum (wk)
Oram
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Boult

If Conway had kept in ODIs I'd probably get him to open instead of Turner, and have him (Conway) as keeper and then pick Cairns at 6 and Harris at 7 to give more variety to the attack.

Re Kallis, if a side is facing an ATG attack you almost need test like batting abilities to cover that. I'd go for a slower, but more technically sound option in the top 4 if needed. If SA has AB, Miller, Klusener at 5-6-7 runs can easily be made back later.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I was thinking a 4-6 of Yuvraj-Dhoni-Raina myself.

@ankitj you've done some more research into standardising ODI strike rates and averages than me - did India have anyone last century who might have been a good shout for #4?
Azhar has a case I think. But that's all I think. Devid batted #3 but not someone you think of in all times even though he had a decent career. Ganguly was successful as an opener. Ultimately Yuvraj-Dhoni-Raina is best imo

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Agreed. Pollock the GOAT ODI allrounder, and Kapil and Imran ahead of Kallis as well
Flintoff, Klusener and a few others also.

I’ll admit I’m not an ODI guy so I have no idea, but was Pollock really a better AR than Kallis in that format?
Easily. He was one of the best if not the best. Including a top 3 bowler of all time.