• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Semi-Final #1- India vs New Zealand - November 15th - Wankhede, Mumbai (D/N)

Sunil1z

International Regular
What is the general opinion of posters regarding 2019 WC semi-final ?
Did India fail with the bat or bowl ? I consider batting to be the failure, but there are some people who believe NZ scored 20-30 runs above par on that wicket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
India's top order were probably most culpable. If they could've made it to the 10 over mark with 30/2 on the board they would've won the game at a canter. Even then though, it was more a case of Henry and Boult both producing top-shelf performances than India batting particularly badly.

Events both before and since have shown that NZ had a stronger side for those kind of overcast conditions on a slightly tricky deck. At the time though no one really expected it because India had been dominating the group phase.

Molehill

International Captain
Did India fail with the bat or bowl ? I consider batting to be the failure, but there are some people who believe NZ scored 20-30 runs above par on that wicket.
As the tournament wore on, chasing became much harder. Of the last 12 matches, only 2 were outright won by the team batting 2nd. One of those was the rather strange capitulation by Aus in the other semi who had still elected to bat.

If India had won the toss, I suspect they'd have won.

Sunil1z

International Regular
As the tournament wore on, chasing became much harder. Of the last 12 matches, only 2 were outright won by the team batting 2nd. One of those was the rather strange capitulation by Aus in the other semi who had still elected to bat.

If India had won the toss, I suspect they'd have won.
I don’t think Australia capitulated. Roy took them apart like in India game in 2019 WC . England looked completely different team when Vince was dropped and Roy became fit.

Molehill

International Captain
I don’t think Australia capitulated. Roy took them apart like in India game in 2019 WC . England looked completely different team when Vince was dropped and Roy became fit.
I think the issue was more that they found themselves 14-3, never really got the innings moving and ended up with a totally sub par 223.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Think it was just about par (if you managed to get through the first 10 overs). Memory says it wasn't easy to time the ball on the surface at all (Jadeja was the exception), with set batsmen and wickets in hand you could get to 250. Williamson and Taylor took this approach and even though they were pretty slow it was justified. Bowling-wise India didn't do a lot wrong.

It nipped around in the first 10 overs or so during both innings, guess you needed a bit of luck to survive similar to the first morning of a test match. From what I remember India bowled pretty well in that phase too (got Guptill very early) but the Nicholls-Williamson partnership was very crucial, there was a fair amount of playing and missing then but they kept cool. When NZ bowled it was one of those days when everything fell into place, but I do remember Kohli looking very loose before Boult got him so maybe there were some nerves as well. Was an unfamiliar position for the side to be in.

The non-selection of Shami was a bit puzzling and could have made a difference, but I feel India's inability to build a good middle order for the WC really cost them in that game. DK, Pant, Pandya and Dhoni all had their issues coming into the match and I think the management could have done a lot better in the lead-up.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
DK, Pant, Pandya and Dhoni all had their issues coming into the match and I think the management could have done a lot better in the lead-up.
These guys killed it I reckon. Karthik in particular should not have been there. Might be harsh but he (and the others you named tbh, in 2019) were a massive step down.

The best of top heavy India was exposed to the NZ bowling attack who had a strong case to be the attack of the tournament, and they had one of their days where they're not much fun to face. Wasn't much India could do through that middle part until Jadeja came in to stop the rot.

For NZ the old firm of Williamson and Taylor showed us why they're our best ever partnership. Not their biggest score together but certainly one of their best. Two world class batsmen getting in and making a contribution proved the difference.

I think if India had one more class batsman they would have won. In that area NZ swapping out the walking wicket of Munro for the solid Nicholls helped, even if Nicholls has never really cracked ODIs.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
how many ****ing ICC events did you win since 2013? Ah yes, ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERO
All I've been seeing is this 'one line' from Pakistan over and over again for the past one year. Countless such comments.

IMO you guys have created a bad omen for yourself. Keep it up. Keep mentioning it so that mother nature can rectify some things.

Sunil1z

International Regular
All I've been seeing is this 'one line' from Pakistan over and over again for the past one year. Countless such comments.

IMO you guys have created a bad omen for yourself. Keep it up. Keep mentioning it so that mother nature can rectify some things.
Don’t feed the troll. He will go away .

Sunil1z

International Regular
nz only won because of rain and india's loss of momentum in 2019 SF
Wish I shared your optimism 🤣

I would have believed it if NZ didn’t play such a good game in the final . I don’t want to restart the debate but NZ were extremely unlucky not to win the Final .

Gob

International Coach
It would be great if NZ win the toss here. Otherwise its just delaying the inevitable

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Wish I shared your optimism 🤣

I would have believed it if NZ didn’t play such a good game in the final . I don’t want to restart the debate but NZ were extremely unlucky not to win the Final .
Should've hit more fours. That's what you get for being such hard-working plebs.
#Life