• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I have to say I have found this whole thing absolutely extraordinary.

Firstly, the fact that a current Test player being accused of ball tampering hardly even registered a ripple in the media. I read it on Stuff once, but that was about it. Nothing on TV, no columns, hardly anything. 10 years ago, it would've been the major sports news story. 20 years ago, it would've been the front page item in the Herald and on TV news. It would've been all over talkback. It would've been forensically analysed.

And now, I find it extraordinary that the independent commission have not said that he didn't do it...in fact it seems to admit he did. It says his actions were unlikely to alter the condition of the ball or the shape of the ball. Anyone who knows what a helmet grill looks like, knows there is enough edges in the welding of the metal to alter the condition of the ball. And if it wasn't done for that reason, why the **** did he do it, on three separate occasions at the start of overs (according to Stuff)? Surely the intention was to alter it? This has been reported by the umpires, apparently seen by Auckland, it isn't clear on the video but you can see what the allegations are based around...yet brush brush under the carpet it goes. Basically, because it's easy to - because there is no media pressure to go harder.

jcas0167

International Debutant
You would think there would have to be *some* explanation as to wtf he was doing. Saying it was unlikely to alter the ball doesn't address why he was doing it. It is interesting how the media landscape has changed, Wisden and ESPN at least tweeted about it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You would think there would have to be *some* explanation as to wtf he was doing. Saying it was unlikely to alter the ball doesn't address why he was doing it. It is interesting how the media landscape has changed, Wisden and ESPN at least tweeted about it.
100% agreed. I know it's not as dastardly as the sandpaper episode but at the end of the day, Warner and Bancroft were given year bans for planning to alter the condition of the ball. I can't see how scraping a ball on a metal visor is any different.

They'll just hope it dies off and no one cares, which they'll be right. But gee, Nicholls is so lucky. I'd like to hear from him. Why? What were you doing?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Apparently he was using sweat from the helmet to polish the ball … makes sense to me. If you’re going to tamper with the ball a helmet would be pretty much the largest and most unwieldy item to do it with that you could find.

Flem274*

123/5

Firstly, the fact that a current Test player being accused of ball tampering hardly even registered a ripple in the media. I read it on Stuff once, but that was about it. Nothing on TV, no columns, hardly anything. 10 years ago, it would've been the major sports news story. 20 years ago, it would've been the front page item in the Herald and on TV news. It would've been all over talkback. It would've been forensically analysed.

And now, I find it extraordinary that the independent commission have not said that he didn't do it...in fact it seems to admit he did. It says his actions were unlikely to alter the condition of the ball or the shape of the ball. Anyone who knows what a helmet grill looks like, knows there is enough edges in the welding of the metal to alter the condition of the ball. And if it wasn't done for that reason, why the **** did he do it, on three separate occasions at the start of overs (according to Stuff)? Surely the intention was to alter it? This has been reported by the umpires, apparently seen by Auckland, it isn't clear on the video but you can see what the allegations are based around...yet brush brush under the carpet it goes. Basically, because it's easy to - because there is no media pressure to go harder.
We used to make fun of them (correctly), but one good thing about radiosport and their boomer audience was the much more direct connection it provided between the fans, the media and NZC.

We could have had a 10 page thread here and the result would have been the same.

Howsie

International Captain

It’s Henry Nicholls, a guy who hasn’t done squat for years and yet hasn’t had his place in the test squad challenged and whenever they can they’ll find a way to get him into the ODI team. Are you surprised this was swept under the carpet. He’s part of the boys club.

He’s a filthy cheat, I hope his career crashes and burns this summer

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I love Howsie's passion. I hope I see him at a FC game when we're older - I'll be telling boring stories of players no one remembers, Howsie will be shouting at rain clouds Abe Simpson style

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I'm only disappointed he got caught. We've got important games this summer and he needs to keep his tampering discreet.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Even Pinga had a FC double ton. I'm not dropping him from the squad but Nicholls has had a whole Test career to prove hes the guy and he isn't

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
He's coming off a double ton and is dominating FC.

I know he should have been dropped earlier but that's some serious Lou Vincent treatment and we don't want our selection consistency to go there again.
And remember that was a game at home against quite weak opposition, and he was dropped twice before he reached 50 in that innings.

His away average of 21.6, combined with his Asian average of 29.5, indicates to me he’s not going to contribute much on this tour.

Add in averages of 17 vs Aus and 13.5 vs India and I think he’s hit his ceiling.

Yes he scored some runs after being given a long run of opportunities in his last test, but should we hold back someone like Ravindra getting a decent shot because of that? Sometimes you have to move along players like we did with Guptill in order to let players like that into the side.

Flem274*

123/5
Nicholls is a much better player with a much better record than Guptill.

He's a HTB. Something like a 50/25 split. Only 1 ton away and 8 at home but against some world class attacks.

He should have been dropped last summer. However, this is not a video game. IRL if guys repay the faith then dominate FC before test season, a selector who drops them is sending the message that performance does not matter.

Nicholls has bought himself more rope. I'm not thrilled either but it is what it is. Anything else is terrible player management.