• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overrated by CW XI and Underrated by CW XI

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree he isn't just a touch below Sobers, but still believe he's undervalued a bit.

He executed his role as good as he could have, he was the fifth bowler who also happened to be one of the greatest slip fielders who have ever played the game.. He and Hammond were just ideal utility players who I believe were just underrated as cricketers
We fundamentally disagree on how all rounders should be rated I think.

kyear2

International Coach
We fundamentally disagree on how all rounders should be rated I think.
There's no doubt with regards to that.

But how many players in the history of the game are legitimate ATG batsmen, very good fourth or fifth bowlers and genuine ATG slip fielders. Three, Sobers, Kallis, Hammond. For me that counts for something.

peterhrt

U19 Vice-Captain
Kanhai, Compton and Dexter while not overrated by the general public have reputations exceeding how good they actually were but are all rated accurately on here.
The Pollock brothers compiled a World XI for the 1960s, excluding themselves. Peter Pollock was now in the press box.

Simpson, Barlow, Kanhai, Dexter, Cowdrey, Sobers, Benaud*, Waite+, Hall, Gibbs, Adcock.

2nd XI: Hunte, Boycott, Hanif*, Barrington, Graveney, Bland, Davidson, Grout+, McKenzie, Tayfield, Trueman.

Yorkshireman AA Thomson's World XI mid-1960s: Simpson, Barlow, Kanhai, Graeme Pollock, Dexter, Bland, Sobers*, Grout+, Hall, Griffith, Gibbs.

Something to bear in mind about Compton is that his high rating resulted from those who actually watched him at his peak between 1944 and 1949. There was a unanimity among them that was striking, as there had been with Trumper forty years earlier.

shortpitched713

International Captain
That’s an absolutely shocking SA attack. Gotta be one of their worst. Almost like Kallis stepped up and took charge since that was the case.
It's better than Sobers ever managed at any point in his career (interestingly, best figures also at Headingley), despite having bowled himself much more.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
You and @Line and Length should form a we hate Kallis club.
Just because I call Kallis's bowling "useful" and overrated doesn't constitute me hating him.

Didn't you read my comment earlier?
'Just because I see Kallis as being overrated on CW doesn't mean I don't recognise him as an ATG. His batting was great but I still only rate his bowling as "useful".'

kyear2

International Coach
Just because I call Kallis's bowling "useful" and overrated doesn't constitute me hating him.

Didn't you read my comment earlier?
'Just because I see Kallis as being overrated on CW doesn't mean I don't recognise him as an ATG. His batting was great but I still only rate his bowling as "useful".'
But what else is expected from a 5th bowler?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Different scenarios, different pitches. But carry on
I mean that was it. I think Kalis's bowling was underrated. And despite the two being used in very different ways, the quality of both proves to be pretty similar, imo. Actually stylistically too in Sobers' predominant pace bowling style.