• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overrated by CW XI and Underrated by CW XI

ma1978

International Debutant
Hammond more than matches Kallis in the batting and fielding departments.
Kallis was a better bowler but neither were "great" in that area. Kallis wins that all-rounder aspect
Hammond is widely considered the best batsman after Bradman. Suggesting Kallis is a better bat is a very niche view

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Overrated XI

Saeed Anwar: A little overrated considering his short career.
Bob Simpson: Only judged on his opening record despite the fact that he dropped down the order a lot even during his 'peak' and opened in a soft era which isn't held against him unlike modern openers.
Ken Barrington: Short career, soft era but big flashy numbers sway some simpletons.
Jacques Kallis: Supremely overrated as an AR. Not better than Worrell or Dexter.
AB De Villiers: There were about 10 better batsmen during his career.
Allan Border: escapes the scrutiny other makers of pretty 50s and lower order refugees receive.
Keeper: idk.
Alan Davidson: batting is an utter myth based on Shield performances which were incredibly inflated considering every other notable Aussie AR was a much worse test batsman than FC. Short career also.
Shaun Pollock:
Harold Larwood: he's basically a one series wonder like Duanne Olivier. Objectively a nobody.
Graeme Swann: huge test spam beneficiary and a coward.
Alec Bedser/Fazal Mahmood: third seamer was a tough call so I'm just going for old timey HTBs who often get less criticism than modern HTBs.

ataraxia

International Coach
Overrated XI

Saeed Anwar: A little overrated considering his short career.
Bob Simpson: Only judged on his opening record despite the fact that he dropped down the order a lot even during his 'peak' and opened in a soft era which isn't held against him unlike modern openers.
Ken Barrington: Short career, soft era but big flashy numbers sway some simpletons.
Jacques Kallis: Supremely overrated as an AR. Not better than Worrell or Dexter.
AB De Villiers: There were about 10 better batsmen during his career.
Allan Border: escapes the scrutiny other makers of pretty 50s and lower order refugees receive.
Keeper: idk.
Alan Davidson: batting is an utter myth based on Shield performances which were incredibly inflated considering every other notable Aussie AR was a much worse test batsman than FC. Short career also.
Shaun Pollock:
Harold Larwood: he's basically a one series wonder like Duanne Olivier. Objectively a nobody.
Graeme Swann: huge test spam beneficiary and a coward.
Alec Bedser/Fazal Mahmood: third seamer was a tough call so I'm just going for old timey HTBs who often get less criticism than modern HTBs.
I disagree with about half of this – like pretty much every list in this thread – and detest the hyperbole, but I did get a kick out of the Olivier–Larwood comparison, lol.

Do you not like Fazal anymore?

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Gower is a bit underrated here. I like Laxman but don't think he should have beaten Gower. I rate him over KP and Cook too and I suspect I would lose both polls there.

Last edited:

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
I think Daryl Cullinan is a bit underrated everywhere. Remembered a lot for having a total shocker against Australia but he was pretty good elsewhere in a tough era.

OverratedSanity

My chief reason for not being convinced is that largely he hasn’t played enough games against the bigger sides. I stand by that and that he has somewhat padded his stats with the ball against lol batting lineups.
If he'd actually gotten to play Australia and England at home on Bangladeshi pitches in the mid-late 2010s, he'd have had a field day running through their lineup of muppets against spin, so if anything he missed the chance to pad his stats more. In the few opportunities he got vs them, he won a test match each vs them singlehandedly. Those teams barely count as some amazing test in Asian conditions.

Last edited:

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
If he'd actually gotten to play Australia and England at home on Bangladeshi pitches in the mid-late 2000s, he'd have had a field day running through their lineup of muppets against spin, so if anything he missed the chance to pad his stats more. In the few opportunities he got vs them, he won a test match each vs them singlehandedly. Those teams barely count as some amazing test in Asian conditions.
They tended to have quite flat pitches in Bangladesh until mid 2010s. I made a point further up that I didn’t agree with those countries not playing Bangladesh at home. The other side of coin is that he would have hardly likely filled his boots in Australia and averaged 34.5 in England in the only two tests he played here.

OverratedSanity

I still remember the 2015 australia tour to Bangladesh when Australian fans were all united in the "shakib actually isn't good" camp. Nekk minit shakib comes in at 10-3 against Cummins Hazelwood and Lyon and smashes 85 and then picks up a 10fer to win the game by himself.

"Yeah shakib has had success vs Pakistan and Sri Lanka but wait until he plays those known great batting lineups against spin Australia and England, he'll be found out" is an argument that should be thrown in the bin immediately.

He definitely hasn't played abroad enough though. No getting around that.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

They tended to have quite flat pitches in Bangladesh until mid 2010s. I made a point further up that I didn’t agree with those countries not playing Bangladesh at home. The other side of coin is that he would have hardly likely filled his boots in Australia and averaged 34.5 in England in the only two tests he played here.
8 wickets in 2 tests in England at 34 is perfectly respectable for a spinner. He also has 11 wickets in 2 tests in SA at 20. With two 5fers. Actually had SA in trouble in one of those games. Both these tours were early in his career when he wasn't even as good as he became later BTW.

Plus, he's had real success batting in nz, who honestly were a better test team than England and Australia for much of the decade (particularly the big tour he had in 2017 when NZ were a legitimatelu excellent team) .

There's not much evidence he'd have been found out if he played them more. Less proven than some other great all rounders overseas, yes that is somewhat acceptable.

ma1978

International Debutant
People are only calling shakib overrated now because of his latest dickhead episode and they're taking the chance to dunk on him with their braindead takes. He's one of the greatest all rounders in the history of the game, haters are going to have to come to terms with that fact.
greatest all rounders in the history of the game?

he has barely played a match of historical importance. His track record is beating up weak teams most often on tailored home pitches. You can argue that it’s not his fault that he plays for Bangla but he’s barely been tested against the best so there is no basis for his greaness. You can’t just look at a stats line, have to look at context.

and this is before match fixing and otherwise repellent behavior.

ma1978

International Debutant
8 wickets in 2 tests in England at 34 is perfectly respectable for a spinner. He also has 11 wickets in 2 tests in SA at 20. With two 5fers. Actually had SA in trouble in one of those games. Both these tours were early in his career when he wasn't even as good as he became later BTW.

Plus, he's had real success batting in nz, who honestly were a better test team than England and Australia for much of the decade (particularly the big tour he had in 2017 when NZ were a legitimatelu excellent team) .

There's not much evidence he'd have been found out if he played them more. Less proven than some other great all rounders overseas, yes that is somewhat acceptable.
less proven is an understatement. At best he’s like a Ryan ten Doeschate, a what might have been? To put him in the category of aKapil or Botham or Imran or even a Stokes is blasphemous.