• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else finding this England side (and I count the Bazball Test side in this) just a little unlikeable?
Not for the most part. Bairstow rarely comes over well, but maybe the rest of the ODI side are grumpy because they're losing almost every match right now. Thinking back to the test team in the summer, we went through a phase when there were occasional silly comments (Crawley and Duckett either side of the 2nd test, Robinson from time to time and that man Bairstow again) but most of them seemed pleasant enough.

Have you seen the Stokes documentary that came out a year or two ago? The main blokes (Stokes, Root, Broad etc) all came over very well imo.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've never seen a cricket team so out of touch with reality as the English in the 2023 Ashes, and Stokes was one of the worst. Probably by virtue of being the main spokesperson of their delusional understanding of what was going on

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've never seen a cricket team so out of touch with reality as the English in the 2023 Ashes, and Stokes was one of the worst. Probably by virtue of being the main spokesperson of their delusional understanding of what was going on
It was certainly entertaining.

Molehill

International Captain
Anyone else finding this England side (and I count the Bazball Test side in this) just a little unlikeable?
Who are the ones you don't like? They're playing crap, doesn't mean they become unlikeable.

I also think so many of the comments over the last 6 months have been caused by leading questions from the media. We got success in 2022 and they ran away with it. I really don't think the team itself is as far removed from reality as @TheJediBrah would like to think it is.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Who are the ones you don't like? They're playing crap, doesn't mean they become unlikeable.

I also think so many of the comments over the last 6 months have been caused by leading questions from the media. We got success in 2022 and they ran away with it. I really don't think the team itself is as far removed from reality as @TheJediBrah would like to think it is.
As I said before, I think the bowling has a few issues because two mainstays are either gone or is likely to be gone in the next year or so. The incomers clearly have an unknown quantity to them and the existing squad/team bowling members are not in the first flush of youth, when you think of Wood, Leach and Woakes (for home games only).

As I said on the England test thread, there is plenty of young batting talent that you could turn to if players such as Bairstow start to fall off the cliff form wise. I mention him because he was the poster boy of the 2022 home summer, but then he got injured and hasn't really reached the same levels since in any form of the game after his return.

dannythomas

Cricket Spectator
Considering they were so delusional their performance in the Ashes series was pretty impressive. Only the rain saved the ashes for Australia. Oh and the series was one of the best ever to watch.

Yeoman

U19 Captain
In the Ashes they were certainly at times guilty of hubris and/or full on stupidity however wouldn’t go with dislikable. At the World Cup they simply haven’t been very good. As sportsmen (and other public professions) rarely admit to this, it can come across as arrogant or unrealistic.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Mate I think the only thing out of touch with reality is your post

TheJediBrah

Considering they were so delusional their performance in the Ashes series was pretty impressive. Only the rain saved the ashes for Australia. Oh and the series was one of the best ever to watch.
Haha you are clearly living in the same alternate reality as them, fair play

Burgey

They're all unlikable save for Broad, Woakes, Rashid and Wood.

Firstly, they're all English. Well, most of them anyway.

Looking at some of them individually across both formats though. You've got Crawley who's a classic private school entitled ponce. Same with Brook.

Root's at best racist adjacent if not one himself. The former is certain, and I strongly suspect the latter.

Stokes is a recidivist thug who's like the fella out of Shantaram who goes to gaol and comes out thinking he's been transformed into something all Zen when in fact he' still just a recidivist thug who's also decided to upset the team's apple cart by coming into and out of the LO set up as and when he sees fit like a spoiled brat.

Bairstow is the world's biggest sook and hypocrite. Honestly, if he smiled his face would crack. And so monumentally stupid that he is incapable of seeing the idiocy of his continued moaning about that stumping given his own preparedness to do precisely the same thing a day and a half earlier.

Buttler is so insipid he's like Robin Williams in that scene of One Hour Photo where he's so ****ing bland he just disappears into the white background. Pope is similar in that he's just a complete non-event. More to be pitied than despised, I suppose. He's a bit like that old Peggy Lee song, "Is that all there is?" Is that where England's future lies? Really?

There are few sportspeople in the world with a jaw as vitreous as James Anderson. Rarely seen a bloke as happy to give out **** while being so temperamentally incapable of taking it. A sign of manifest weakness and a seriously flawed character. He's that thin-skinned, if he was a poster here he'd be HB.

Moeen Ali used to be all right, but now he's like a house guest who won't go home after a dinner party. Well and truly over stayed his welcome.

Apart form that, they're a really likable bunch of blokes, I guess.

Burgey

I do, however, think that with Marsh and Maxwell missing they match up pretty well against the side Aus will put out tomorrow. Definitely a banana skin game for our blokes against a minnow they'd normally fist to death.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Jimmy Anderson has an ATG jawline tho. That rugged masculinity look he conveys is part of his shtick. Man doesnt suit smiling

Burgey

I don't see it that way, but at least he has a jawline. Certainly preferable to the likes of Michael Vaughan, whose mouth just melds into his neck. Such a chinless wonder. My grandfather used to say to never trust a man who has no chin. And he was right.

DriveClub

International Regular
But if you don't have a chin you can bat against bouncers more effectively since you can't face the chin music

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You've got Crawley who's a classic private school entitled ponce.
I feel like this is dogmatic rubbish, based on nothing more than his old man being a billionaire. Everything I've heard is that he's a pretty humble, genuine team guy who doesn't sledge, works hard and wants to do well. And has copped far too much **** for being born with a silver spoon in his mouth, which is nowhere within his control.