• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Find a better bowler peak (min 33 Tests) than this (protip, you can't)

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
For me the best peak is Marshall‘s and Imran, maybe Marshall’s even more so. For 40 odd tests, took nearly 6 wickets per match, despite bowling in some of the most highly competitive attacks ever, and performed everywhere. Imran also, I’d rate higher than Waqar, cause he had great performances in Aus, Eng, Ind and at flat pitches at home(most of his dismissals were bowled, so can’t apply the Pakistani home umpiring bias to him anyways).

srbhkshk

International Captain

So I've long thought that Waqar at his peak was quite possibly the greatest ever, now I'm just going to put it out there as a challenge to anyone else as I'm genuinely interested. Can you find a bowler who performed better, over a minimum of 33 Tests, than this statline for an ace strike bowler?

Ave: 19.15
SR: 36.0 ?!

Rules are it must be a contiguous period, so no omitting any Tests during the period. Also nice if it doesn't have a career break in it as well but not essential, as long as it is a contiguous run of Tests.

Also please spare me your Barnes and Lohmanns' for this exercise and let's keep it to bowlers in the living memory of at least someone on this forum.
This is not 33 matches, but (40 innings + 5 years) and Waqar had the 8th best peak here.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/thr...at-least-40-innings.88915/page-3#post-4865804

shortpitched713

International Captain
This is not 33 matches, but (40 innings + 5 years) and Waqar had the 8th best peak here.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/thr...at-least-40-innings.88915/page-3#post-4865804
Okay, so taking out the super old fogeys, the ones of relevance are Imran, Lock, Laker, Murali, and Underwood. Will dig a bit, and see which of them have a good comparison in a 33+ match criteria window when I get a chance, but it's a great place to get a start. Some others further down might be worth a shout as well. Thanks! :)

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
The reason why I rate Marshall’s peak ahead, of Hadlee and Murali would be he was taking wickets per match at a rate as much as Hadlee, if not more, in a much more competitive attack than either Hadlee or Murali, and unlike Murali, he performed in all conditions

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia were supposed to be pretty good from 89 onwards IIRC and they couldn't beat the WI until 1995
Fair, but in my mind that's mainly thanks to things like Lara's 277 and Ambrose's 7-1

My overall point re Burgeys original point is that he was probably picturing Waqar running through Keith Arthurton, Junior Murray and Phil Simmons calibre batsmen

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair, but in my mind that's mainly thanks to things like Lara's 277 and Ambrose's 7-1

My overall point re Burgeys original point is that he was probably picturing Waqar running through Keith Arthurton, Junior Murray and Phil Simmons calibre batsmen
Even those guys while not great, are not really minnows either

Victor Ian

International Coach
Strike rate far inferior to Waqar's with a similar averge, but it's a good shout. Peak Murali was something else. :thumbsup:
Getting into strike rate, when Murali bowled his overs he might have been taking his wickets at a quicker rate per time. How long did waqar take to bowl an over? How long did Murali take?
Entertainment is more about time rather than balls.