• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh yeah you are right about Crawley etc. who are not in this squad. I meant the test players playing in the World Cup. I guess Brook might do but even for him it would be a hugely punishing schedule.
Yeah Brook I guess is debatable. But if we are serious about 50-over cricket going forwards then he needs to be there really or else he won't play one until next September - and he won't play any domestically.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah you are right about Crawley etc. who are not in this squad. I meant the test players playing in the World Cup. I guess Brook might do but even for him it would be a hugely punishing schedule.
Now I'm with you; presumably you meant Bairstow, Root and Stokes. And maybe Brook depending on what you and GIMH were discussing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Are any of them signed up for the Big Bash? Crawley played last year....
Just had a scan through the squads and these are the English players listed

Sam Hain
Sam Billings
Ross Whiteley
Luke Wood
Joe Clarke
Broody Couch
James Vince
Chris Jordan
David Payne
Tymal Mills
Adam Lyth
Chris Tremain
Zak Crawley
Matt Critchley
Alex Hales
Ryan Gibson
Adam Hose

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just had a scan through the squads and these are the English players listed

Sam Hain
Sam Billings
Ross Whiteley
Luke Wood
Joe Clarke
Broody Couch
James Vince
Chris Jordan
David Payne
Tymal Mills
Adam Lyth
Chris Tremain
Zak Crawley
Matt Critchley
Alex Hales
Ryan Gibson
Adam Hose
Does that means they won't be available for any of our white-ball games in the WI?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Does that means they won't be available for any of our white-ball games in the WI?
I think it's just Crawley who's centrally contracted from that list. That's up to the ECB I guess. I know they do like them to play in these things.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Makes sense as I wasn't aware of him. I am pleased to confirm that this is the site I used's error and not mine though
Chris Tremain is an Aussie too as is Ryan Gibson. I was perplexed as I hadn't heard of a few of them, but then again I don't necessarily remember all of the domestic cricketers who are around the circuit at the best of times!

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
jfc that list is terrible

Chris Tremain has been on the Australian domestic scene for over 10 years, has 317 First Class wickets, 285 of them achieved in the Sheffield Shield and has played for Australia in a few JAMODIs, yet whoever the dipstick who wrote that article is thinks he is English for some reason. So dumb. Gibson isn't English either

EDIT: Beaten to it. My point stands though

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I feel better now, as I was a bit nonplussed how many 'English' names I didn't know

Closed the tab now but find myself doubting the list full stop.

Apologies!

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I was wondering where Tremain's non Shield wickets came, and apparently he did play for Northants early this year.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
One thing that has struck me about England's line up in this WC, is we appear to play less of our test players than other nations, particularly our bowlers.

In this squad, Wood and Woakes are the only 2 test bowlers and Woakes would only probably play at home now.

Broad and Anderson were discarded long ago and I can't recall Robinson playing an ODI.
Players like Potts and Tongue don't figure in are ODI squads.

Topley, Curran, Willey, Atkinson and Carse are nowhere near our test team but are white ball regulars.

Does that matter - maybe, maybe not but we do seem to have moved more than other countries from using our test bowlers.

Molehill

International Captain
One thing that has struck me about England's line up in this WC, is we appear to play less of our test players than other nations, particularly our bowlers.

In this squad, Wood and Woakes are the only 2 test bowlers and Woakes would only probably play at home now.

Broad and Anderson were discarded long ago and I can't recall Robinson playing an ODI.
Players like Potts and Tongue don't figure in are ODI squads.

Topley, Curran, Willey, Atkinson and Carse are nowhere near our test team but are white ball regulars.

Does that matter - maybe, maybe not but we do seem to have moved more than other countries from using our test bowlers.
You need wicket takers, only Topley has really managed that until we got a helpful wicket last time.

But one stat which grabbed me was which teams had lost the most wickets in the opening powerplay overs, the top 3 were Bangladesh, England and Netherlands. Quite simply, the top order has not provided any kind of platform for the rest.

Owzat

U19 Captain
You need wicket takers, only Topley has really managed that until we got a helpful wicket last time.

But one stat which grabbed me was which teams had lost the most wickets in the opening powerplay overs, the top 3 were Bangladesh, England and Netherlands. Quite simply, the top order has not provided any kind of platform for the rest.
I think it's a mix, top order not cutting it but largely also not enough bowling performances of any worth at all.

vs NZL - not a big enough total but taking just the one wicket and conceding 250+ gave England no chance
vs BAN - put on a big total, enough even for England bowlers not to FUP
vs AFG - not great chase but conceding 100+ for first wicket and 2 handy 40 stands for Afghans helped their total and not England's cause
vs SAF - conceding all but 400, never a hope in hell of England getting close and they just collapsed
vs SRL - fair enough, feeble batting effort from England but do note rather too easy a cruise for a fairly poor Sri Lankan side
vs IND - started off well at 40/3 but then conceded 91 was it for 4th wicket, near three times the next highest partnership in the match, nuff said

England batsmen may have played poorly, they have in the main, but the bowlers bar Topley and Rashid were not fit for purpose in these conditions

re Broad and Anderson, didn't they retire from ODIs as opposed to "discarded"? Problem is apart from Rashid who has stood out in ODIs? Woakes is great in England so makes it hard to pick him regardless (of location), Wood is often injured and hasn't a great track record just theoretical fast weapon, Ali has never really cut it as more than handy can bat, can bowl, 24 batting average (ok for maybe a #7 or #8), 48 bowling average which is ok for maybe a bit part bowler

I won't pander to certain demanding little *ahems* by citing his WC specs but are worse! Topley has had all kinds of issues, Curran looks very limited outside of T20is, Willey has his issues, the only bowler really looked classy other than Topley is Archer and he's always injured!

England's only real hope outside of home World Cups was to bat opponents out of the game, either post 320+ regularly or chase. To sum up the batting/bowling in same order as the gamelist

Batting ok, bowling poor
Batting very good, bowling good*
Bowling ok/below par, batting poor
Bowling atrocious, batting poor
Batting feeble, bowling poor
Bowling ok/good, batting poor

*with the aid of a big total, when have the bowlers aided the batting with a low target? only thing the bowling has done for the batting is leave it impossible missions, or difficult chases

England posted 300+ once, with that they took all 10 wickets once, bowlers conceded near 400 once and inevitably the batsmen were marmalised. The one poor batting effort can solely be pinned on the batting is vs Sri Lanka, to a lesser degree the India chase even though some poor shots the target was probably not par or below

Malan, maybe Root, Rashid and Topley are the only England players can hold their head up high-ish. On the basis of tournament so far none of Wood, Ali, Woakes, Atkinson, Livingstone, Stokes, Buttler or Curran should have been picked, Willey, Bairstow and Brook just about escape that group.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

Our top order has been really poor, so far behind the top 4 teams.

It's hard to fathom why - Bairstow, Malan and Root all have very good ODI records and weren't particularly out of form.

Our powerful middle order has been out in the middle far too early and hasn't been able to steer the team back on course.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Anyone else finding this England side (and I count the Bazball Test side in this) just a little unlikeable?