• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Glenn Maxwell will not play for Australia against us due to concussion rules.

Not that it will make much difference to the result.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Especially as he's one of the few members of the squad in the current WC who hasn't significantly underperformed .
Yeah it might say a bit about how little they value the format.

cbf looking it up, did he playmuch T20 stuff for England recently?

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator

Story of his England career really. Played lots last year in the build up to the world T20, then made the squad but dropped from the first XI.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes, and good luck to him. Whatever my thoughts on him as a player, he deserved better than being told about his contract being terminated in the middle of a WC.
According to Key, the players had already agreed these and it was just the announcement so I don’t think it is as bad timing as it maybe looks, though I’d question why need to announce it during a tournament if that’s the case. The timing is unavoidable in a sense given contracts expired on 30/9.

Willey had an incremental contract previously which doesn’t exist now but looking at the others who previously had one of these, the only other one not on the list is Roy, who gave it up of his own accord.

Anyway, I doubt Willey would have been around much longer in terms of squads anyway (maybe T20) but good luck to him.

Molehill

International Captain

He's nearly 34 and he's played 70 ODI's and 43 T20's. Surprising number to me is that he's only played 77 FC matches, but then I guess he's often been around England squads when FC matches were being played.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not convinced Bairstow is in that team, he wasn't needed for the last World Cup. Jacks should be a guarantee to open.
He wasn’t needed but we recalled Hales because he was injured and Hales has gone now. Bairstow looked imperious in the T20s v NZ so if he wants to be there I’d say we keep him in that format.

also Salt > Jacks

Molehill

International Captain
He wasn’t needed but we recalled Hales because he was injured and Hales has gone now. Bairstow looked imperious in the T20s v NZ so if he wants to be there I’d say we keep him in that format.

also Salt > Jacks
But Jacks can bowl.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Yes, and good luck to him. Whatever my thoughts on him as a player, he deserved better than being told about his contract being terminated in the middle of a WC.
Agreed. I just don't understand why they revealed the contracts during an already miserable WC campaign. Willey is a fairly limited cricketer but he never let England down and squeezed as much from his talent as he could. He deserved better treatment than he received, both in 2019 and now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
But Jacks can bowl.
Erm, sort of. On a good day, anyway. And I say that as Surrey person.

Looking at the possible line-up in our ODI team after this WC, given the number of players vying for the opening positions (Jacks, Salt, Crawley and Duckett), I wonder whether Jacks may actually bat somewhere down the order in those games. I know he doesn't at present, but he's probably a better option than the guys currently being touted to bat at 6 or 7 in the side. My other thought is that we all seem to have forgotten that Salt keeps wicket, so we don't need to be playing Jamie Smith (who is more of a red ball player anyway) or any of the other keepers instead of one of the recognised batters. Something like: (1) Crawley (2) Salt (3) Duckett (4) Brook (5) Hain (6) Jacks and then the five proper bowlers. Maybe Pope shoud be in the side instead of one of that top 6.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Jacks is a T20 slogger with a fairly average List A record. His bowling is nothing like at Livingstone's level either.
I thought we were talking T20 what with the World Cup next Summer. In T20's Livingstone's average is 26 with an Economy rate of 8.4. Jacks is 20 and 7.4.

Looking at the possible line-up in our ODI team after this WC, given the number of players vying for the opening positions (Jacks, Salt, Crawley and Duckett), I wonder whether Jacks may actually bat somewhere down the order in those games. I know he doesn't at present, but he's probably a better option than the guys currently being touted to bat at 6 or 7 in the side. My other thought is that we all seem to have forgotten that Salt keeps wicket, so we don't need to be playing Jamie Smith (who is more of a red ball player anyway) or any of the other keepers instead of one of the recognised batters. Something like: (1) Crawley (2) Salt (3) Duckett (4) Brook (5) Hain (6) Jacks and then the five proper bowlers. Maybe Pope shoud be in the side instead of one of that top 6.
Buttler's not going anywhere yet. He's having a bad tournament but he's still a guarantee in the team.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The won the WC. They didn't win the WC final. This is not a difficult concept to grasp.
It's difficult for me to grasp as we won the final on the boundary count. We didn't win the WC on a boundary count, we won the final.

How can you win a tournament without winning the final.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah no way they should be moving on from Buttler. Sure you can debate him being captain or not but he is England's best ever ODI batsman and doesn't play Tests. No reason why he shouldn't play in the West Indies. Surely none of the Tests guys will be there and wouldn't have been even if this tournament was going well.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think Willey has been pretty harshly treated.

Quite why he hasn't been offered a white ball contract of some sort, when everyone else has is pretty tough to justify.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah no way they should be moving on from Buttler. Sure you can debate him being captain or not but he is England's best ever ODI batsman and doesn't play Tests. No reason why he shouldn't play in the West Indies. Surely none of the Tests guys will be there and wouldn't have been even if this tournament was going well.
Maybe. I certainly want to move on wrt the captain of the side, and maybe that would help Buttler's batting anyway. Looking at his record, I'd forgotten his very good series in SA at the start of the year tbf, even if his ODI record either side of that series is less than spectacular. As for the games in the WI, if you're right guys like Crawley, Duckett, Brook and Pope won't be available, then we won't be writing off all of the present incumbents just yet anyway. And Buttler will probably captain that side too. Thereafter, who knows?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Maybe. I certainly want to move on wrt the captain of the side, and maybe that would help Buttler's batting anyway. Looking at his record, I'd forgotten his very good series in SA at the start of the year tbf, even if his ODI record either side of that series is less than spectacular. As for the games in the WI, if you're right guys like Crawley, Duckett, Brook and Pope won't be available, then we won't be writing off all of the present incumbents just yet anyway. And Buttler will probably captain that side too. Thereafter, who knows?
I actually disagree with Pothas on the Test guys. I could see Crawley, Brook etc being there.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh yeah you are right about Crawley etc. who are not in this squad. I meant the test players playing in the World Cup. I guess Brook might do but even for him it would be a hugely punishing schedule.