• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Molehill

International Captain
You're living in the past Flem! Living in the past! Quit living in the past!

...On an unrelated note, remember when England should have won a Test series away in New Zealand a few months ago but the umpire didn't call an obvious wide with England trailing by 1 run in the second Test?

I remember. I remember.
We really should talk about that more - not sure why we don't?? Oh that's right, we moved on about a day later!!

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A - Any close match in cricket history has umpiring decisions that can be pointed to. Have you gone back and checked that no front foot no-balls were missed in England's innings? Checked for any inconsistent wides? Have you ****
I did this while running 1000 simulations using CricGPT and it actually turned out we won by 15 runs.

Flem274*

123/5
You're living in the past Flem! Living in the past! Quit living in the past!

...On an unrelated note, remember when England should have won a Test series away in New Zealand a few months ago but the umpire didn't call an obvious wide with England trailing by 1 run in the second Test?

I remember. I remember.
probably. it's midnight so i don't remember the game well except for the panic. but given the histrionics from english fans about 2019 and according to gimh 'who knows?????' so i'll continue to claim it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
NZ win by 25 runs.

How is 'no one knows' even an argument? It's just meant to shut down voices saying the tie was bull**** to begin with.

England scoring one less run from that ball tips the balance slightly in favour of the opposition. Given the game was a tie due in part to that error, I think it is obvious that the mistake strongly favoured one side in the 'who knows??????' stakes.
You are just being obtuse (and obnoxious)

You stated factually that we were gifted the tie by Dharmasena. This is not how sport works. If that had been the last ball, you would be correct. Because it wasn't, there are too many variables for this to be done in any way that isn't speculative. Yes an extra run favours England. But if England need an extra run then they approach it differently. EVERYTHING CHANGES and that is the point. It is so basic.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Double ironic, as calling calling it a Kiwi coping strategy is actually an English coping strategy is actually an Australian coping strategy.
calling it a Kiwi coping strategy is actually an English coping strategy is actually an Australian coping strategy is another English coping strategy

Every English cricket fan knows they didn't actually win 2019. That's why they get so upset and argue (cope) so hard as perfectly demonstrated right now in this thread

Daemon

And yet somehow he's won an ODI World Cup, T20 World Cup, the IPL, skippered a team to the Blast, got a Test hatrick etc etc.

He maybe crap now, but it's not a bad career!!
The original comment was about ODIs, which he is crap in. Absolutely shocking numbers overall and even worse in World Cups.

edit: ok just checked and it wasn’t clear enough that it was odis so fair enough

Flem274*

123/5

You stated factually that we were gifted the tie by Dharmasena. This is not how sport works. If that had been the last ball, you would be correct. Because it wasn't, there are too many variables for this to be done in any way that isn't speculative. Yes an extra run favours England. But if England need an extra run then they approach it differently. EVERYTHING CHANGES and that is the point. It is so basic.
It's unlike you to be the language police. Dharmasena certainly made his strong contribution to England's cause.

I am always obtuse and obnoxious, and in this debate that you picked I am also correct. Unlike you, who is also obtuse and obnoxious but also wrong and worser.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's unlike you to be the language police. Dharmasena certainly made his strong contribution to England's cause.

I am always obtuse and obnoxious, and in this debate that you picked I am also correct. Unlike you, who is also obtuse and obnoxious but also wrong and worser.
I've been wanting to bite on that butterfly effect point for ages so you just got the ire on all the times I read that stupid point

Daemon

Correct, everything changes, in particular the probability of NZ winning.

Molehill

International Captain
The original comment was about ODIs, which he is crap in. Absolutely shocking numbers overall and even worse in World Cups.

edit: ok just checked and it wasn’t clear enough that it was odis so fair enough
Thought I'd have a quick look at his stats from between the 2015-19 World Cups thinking he must've been pretty good here during England's dominant period and having a guaranteed place in the starting line. Batting average 22, Bowling 52 (both worse than his overall career). How did he manage to stay in that team for so long??